Aperture Nikon d40 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6gIIED

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Aperture Nikon d40 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6gIIED

Postby freddy0707 on Sun May 25, 2008 3:03 pm

What Apertures should i be able to select with this lens in "A" mode

I am new to this and the theory I don't seem able to select less that 4.2

Also where is a good place to learn about it

Tim the struggler
freddy0707

Re: Aperture Nikon d40 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6gIIED

Postby Marvin on Sun May 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Is your lens zoomed in when you can't select a larger aperture than 4.2 (smaller number)? When you zoom out with a lens without a constant aperture (like yours), the camera will automatically change the aperture and you won't be able to select a larger one.

edit: that probably doesn't make much sense if you are new to this. I don't have this lens, but it doesn't have a constant aperture (it's f3.5 - f5.6), so at 18mm you will be able to select f3.5, if you zoom out a little you may only be able to select say f4.

Welcome to the forum!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Antsl on Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi Tim,
The lens that you have there has a variable aperture and what this means is that its widest aperture setting depends upon the focal length you have the zoom set to. As this lens is an 18-55mm this means that at the 18mm setting the maximum (widest) aperture you can use is f3.5 but at the 55mm setting the aperture closes a little to f5.6. If you can only achieve f4.2 then chances are you have the lens set yo about the 35mm setting.
The opposite of a variable aperture lens is a constant aperture lens that will have a maximum aperture that remains constant as you zoom the lens. These lenses are more expensive but they are preferred by serious photographers who like to know what the lens is doing as it is zoomed.
Hope this is a help. anthony
Antsl

Postby freddy0707 on Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 pm

Thanks for the replys, this is my first DSRL camera my last camera is a Kodal dx6490 (4mb) 10x zoom
I hope you dont mind me asking a lot of nubiee questions

I am looking to purchase a zoom lens soon and will pepper people with questions.

I am also looking to buy a $10 HOYA 52mm UV Filter and camera remote from http://photobuff.com.au/

Any advice much appreciated
freddy0707

Postby Marvin on Mon May 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Tim,
A UV filter is good to protect your lens - some people like them, some people feel that it degrades their image quality. I don't know much about photobuff but I suspect a $10 filter would possible not be the best quality. Other people know much more about filters though!
The internet is a good place to find lots of information, however I would suggest becoming an active member and getting specific help from the friendly people here. This is a good place to start to get some ideas about how different aspects of your camera work - http://www.dslrusers.com/viewforum.php?f=26
Do you have a tripod? If not, then a camera remote may not be the most useful purchase at the moment.
Ask away for the newbie questions - it's the best way to learn. Don't forget about the search function too!
Lee
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby aim54x on Mon May 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Keep asking the questions mate, it is the best way to learn! Hold off that extra lens for a while, wait till you get used to what you have, then look at what your taking photos of most then consider the options.

Def think about the remote, not much use without a tripod. With the filter, getting a Hoya cant be that bad, but if you spend a little more for something that has better coatings, Hoya HMC, Hoya Super HMC, Marumi DHG Protect, you will be better placed to reduce the ghosting that occurs when using filters on some lenses.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions