Which DSLR and lenses

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Which DSLR and lenses

Postby lolek74 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm planning to buyi have no idea and I'll apreciate a new camera. I want something quite good but also something that is not too hard to use. I looked at Canon EOS 450d Body + 18-55mm IS. However I'm not sure about the lenses. I want something fast with a good zoom mostly automatic. It will be great if someone could give me some advice.
lolek74

Re: Which DSLR and lenses

Postby aim54x on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:06 pm

Are you set on Canon? Because if your not then have a look at the Nikon D60 twin lens kit (18-55VR + 55-200VR) it is a very good camera to learn on; simple to use with nice user friendly modes, and a forgiving nature. It is also a little cheaper than the Canon.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby lolek74 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 am

NO I'm not set on Canon. I looked at Nikon range but it is really hard to decide which one will be better. All I want is something simple to use that produces good quality shots and with a decent zoom. I also dont want to pay arm and a leg for it. I think that $1500 for the body and a lenses will be my limit.
Last edited by lolek74 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lolek74

Postby aim54x on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:19 am

You'll def get that with the D60, although the 450D is supposedly pitched at a higher price point. Also have a look at the D40x and 400D cause they are on run out prices atm and still deliver really good quality images.

I am bias towards Nikons (I am a nikon user) but i would recommend heading to a shop and handling them and finding one that you like the feel of. It may also be an idea to look at some of the midrange and top end models as there is some variance in the design at the higher levels, and when you buy into a system it is often a stupid choice to swap camps later on.

Keep asking the questions and there are many people on this forum that are willing to help out. BTW welcome to DSLRusers!!! (you want to put a location into your profile - SUBURB, City - otherwise you will be asked again by a moderator, it is a requirement of this site to do so)
Cameron
aim54x

Postby lolek74 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:46 pm

I think that Nikon D80 will be the way to go. Now which lenses I should use. I was thinking about 18-200mm VR but these are quite costly and might be overkill for me. I dont want to change lenses all the time so I need something that I can use everywhere. I'm sure this combination will be a good choice but it is still quite costly. Or maybe I should get D60 with good lenses.
The price difference between D60 and D80 is $130 which is not so much. I thought that D80 will be more future proof.
lolek74

Postby mickeyjuice on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 pm

aim54x wrote:but i would recommend heading to a shop and handling them and finding one that you like the feel of.

+1
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby phillipb on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:56 pm

lolek74 wrote: I dont want to change lenses all the time so I need something that I can use everywhere.

This is something I have never been able to understand. What is the point of buying a DSLR if you don't intend to change lenses? it's like buying a Ferrari but you don't intend to go over 40km/h.
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to change lenses, but in my opinion you would be better served buying camera with a decent built-in zoom lens. These days you can even get one with the same size sensor as a DSLR so quality is not sacrificed.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby aim54x on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:14 pm

+1 on the changing lenses

I would go with the D80 with the 18-200VR or the 16-85VR, but then again the D60 with either lens is looking quite attractive to me atm (I am in search of a smaller body)
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions