First SLR

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

First SLR

Postby emi_g13 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey,

I have always wanted to get invovled in photography and I think it was about time I actually did something about it. I have always loved SLR cameras, but unfortunatly I know almost nothing about them. I figure that the best way to get to know the camera is to get one and experiment a little, but I really need a camera in order to do that!!

What would you suggest for a beginners DSLR?

What accessories would I need?

Something not too expensive, but one that will still give a good picture.
As you can see I really know nothing about them :oops: , but please help me begin learning :D

Thank you for your help
emi_g13

Re: First SLR

Postby bittenyakka on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 pm

have you read the other threads on this??

My suggestion would be a d40/d40x or d60

I learn't on the d40 and my dads d70s and found everything pretty simple and easy to get the hang of. mainly it is just keep trying different things and keep learning.

good luck
bittenyakka

Postby Jase555 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 pm

As you I am a DSLR newbie. Check out my similar thread - I'm happy with my purchase after a couple of days...
Proud Pentax user!

Images of life, land & speed
http://www.555images.com
Jase555

Postby aim54x on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:46 am

I vote D60!! If you have to buy it retail, Camera House's latest catalogue just placed it at 1099 twin lens kit. That is tempting because they were clearing the D40x at that price not that long ago.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 am

As mentioned, check out the many other treads on this topic.

But...
It is not the camera that takes the photo, but the photographer. The lens is second most important, then the body.
The beauty of DSLRs is that you can upgrade either the body or the lens as long as you stay in the one camp so...

Choose your brand with an eye to the future. Does it have the things you think you might want.
Spend more on glass than the body, though the kit lenses are often great value.

GO to a camera shop and try them out. Include the more expensive ones as you may be upgrading in the future.
Choose the one that feels right in your hands. Do the controls make more sense?. Is the balance right? If the "right" one is out of your price range, buy a cheaper one in the same brand. You will be able to move your lenses on when you upgrade. That will reduce (or at least spread) the future pain.

Finally , be aware that there is a move towards larger sensors. Canon have several 35mm models. Nikon have just brought out their second. Not all lenses will work happily with the larger format. This may affect the upgrade path in the future.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:17 am

Mr Darcy wrote:As mentioned, check out the many other treads on this topic.

But...
It is not the camera that takes the photo, but the photographer. The lens is second most important, then the body.
The beauty of DSLRs is that you can upgrade either the body or the lens as long as you stay in the one camp so...

Choose your brand with an eye to the future. Does it have the things you think you might want.
Spend more on glass than the body, though the kit lenses are often great value.

GO to a camera shop and try them out. Include the more expensive ones as you may be upgrading in the future.
Choose the one that feels right in your hands. Do the controls make more sense?. Is the balance right? If the "right" one is out of your price range, buy a cheaper one in the same brand. You will be able to move your lenses on when you upgrade. That will reduce (or at least spread) the future pain.

Finally , be aware that there is a move towards larger sensors. Canon have several 35mm models. Nikon have just brought out their second. Not all lenses will work happily with the larger format. This may affect the upgrade path in the future.

Very good advice Mr Darcy! Come into a shop and ask for some assistance, then come back onto the forum and make sure the salesperson is not chasing a SPIV!!! It is definately about the feel of the camera, if you dont like the feel of it, you wont use it, so be blind to the brands initially and look for what feels the best to you, and then worry about the brand.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby wheels on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:36 am

Have a bit of a look at the older model Canons as well. You can get 20D's, 30D's and 400D's for pretty good used prices these days. That way you can get a cheap body and spend your money on good glass.
wheels

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions