Newbie unsure of what lens to buy? *update with D3 q*

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Newbie unsure of what lens to buy? *update with D3 q*

Postby Bam on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi there :)

Im looking at buying an SLR very soon, but I am a complete newbie and was hoping you may be able to offer me some advice?

The camera will be used for a hobby, so im not after anything too expensive. Ideally i think my budget would be no more than $1500 for the body and lens (to start off with atleast).

With the research ive done, Im pretty sure that im set on the Nikon D80 and with looking through the previous threads, it seems like it would be a good choice.

The thing Im having trouble with is the lenses - I still dont really understand what type of lenses are good for what type of photos? I know this is something I will have to learn, and dont worry I plan to! :P (If anyone can offer me some direction on how to find out what lenses are for what, id really appreciate it) But I was hoping you could offer me some advice in the time being?

Im wanting to buy a lens/es (depending on cost) that will allow me to take portrait shots and landscape shots (for times on holidays etc). Can anyone recommend anything?

The lenses that are commonly sold in packages that Ive seen are the following:
AF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-4.5 Lens
70-300mm Lens
18-55mm and 55-200mm Lens

Do you think its better to buy a bundle pack or buy the body and lenses seperately and get another lens not offered in the bundles?

Also, can anyone recommend any stores in Melbourne to look at for quotes?

Thankyou kindly,
Samara :D
Last edited by Bam on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bam

Re: Newbie unsure of what lens to buy?

Postby Marvin on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi Samara,
I'm not sure how much of a newbie you are but the numbers on the lenses are the focal lengths. For example, 18mm is a wider angle (for landscapes - it fits more in) and 200mm is a longish zoom, which is good for far away shots. You will probably get a lens cheaper in a bundle but it may not the best one for you. Many people suggest the 18-200 which is a bit more expensive but can handle a range of focal lengths in the one lens and you are likely to be happy with it as a newbie. I have one and it is on my camera most of the time for convenience. You get the same range with the 18-55 and 55-200 but you have to swap lenses. I think you would find the 70-300 too long for landscapes but the 18-135 would be a good compromise (I don't have it and have never used it so am not sure how good it is).
Good luck!
Lee
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Bam on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Thankyou Lee, I appreciate your advice :)
Bam

Postby bittenyakka on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:24 pm

i have been very happy with my 18-135

EDIT:
I might also add a question in this thread

Why should i get a 55mm or any other fixed focal length lens in this day and a age where lenses such as nikkor's 18-200 VR has such a broad range? the only answer i can find is there is often a border range for your f-stop?

thanks
Nick
bittenyakka

Postby Biggzie on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 pm

Why should i get a 55mm or any other fixed focal length lens in this day and a age where lenses such as nikkor's 18-200 VR has such a broad range? the only answer i can find is there is often a border range for your f-stop?

Well it all depend ofwhat you want from your lens.
Apperture is 1 reason because you quite often get a better range and a bigger maximum apperture, but there are a number of other reasons.
It is easier to manufacture a prime lens that gives a sharper picture if the ellements dont have to reposition themselvs.
You may also get a better looking out of focus area (Brokeh) in your picture.
The manufacturer can also add speciality to the lens so it preforms better in a particular situation such as shorter focus performance -Macro or long distance focus - Landscape or medium distance - Portrait

I used to think what was the use if prime lenses when I had my zooms, but I found myself flogging my Dads 135mm lens for portraits (35mm film days)
Now I mostly carry a 24mm, 35mm & 50mm plus prime plus my 150-500mm Zoom.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby aim54x on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:50 am

I was very happy with the 18-135mm when I owned one. I still miss that lens, it makes for a very good all in one lens that is inexpensive, hence it is available in a cheaper kit.

I would vote 18-135mm for the versatility, but the twin lens kit is not bad either.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby whitey on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:23 am

I notice you are looking @ a D80, I bought second hand Nikkor 18-70 for ~200 and its superb on the D80.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby Bam on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:32 pm

aim54x wrote:
I would vote 18-135mm for the versatility, but the twin lens kit is not bad either.

Thanks, Im considering this lens if i cannot find a 18-200mm VR within my range :)
Bam

Postby BullcreekBob on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:38 pm

Bam wrote:Thanks, Im considering this lens if i cannot find a 18-200mm VR within my range :)

G'day

I'd be surprised if there are (m)any 18-200VR's on the second hand market.

Whilst it is not a great lens, it is a very good lens with a really versatile zoom that no other Nikons can compare or compete with. Mine is regularly on my camera, especially if I'm not heading out specifically to take photos but the camera is in the car in case I suddenly need to photograph something like an alien landing, a car accident (sadly I was recently involved) or a fleeting sunset.

Rather than buy a new D80, why not look out for a 2nd hand D70s or similar. There are some great camera bodies out atm (out of your price range atm) but you might find yourself buying a D300 or D700 in a year or so. A used D70s will get you through the next year without limiting your *learning opportunities* and will cost you less leaving more of your budget for a better lens now.

For $1,500 I'd be looking for a 2nd hand D70s $400-$500; new 18-200vr ($839); new 50mm f/1.8 ($159). The lens prices are from DD Photographics, you may do better (or worse) elsewhere.
Cheers

Bob in sunny Perth
What gear? Watch this space!
BullcreekBob

Postby Chaase on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Also, can anyone recommend any stores in Melbourne to look at for quotes?

Photobuff (Endeavour Hills)
http://www.photobuff.com.au/

I have purchased all my stuff from them and have been very happy with them as I know a number of other members in here.

Bruce
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby Bam on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for the rec, im planning on checking them out :) Photobuff has the D80 with 18-200mm VR lens for $1699

Thanks for the info Bob :)

I dont particularly see myself upgrading camera bodies... it is only going to be a hobby and Im not really in the position to be spending this type of money frequently (with saving for a house and wedding, and recently opening a business). So I figured the D80 would be a good investment for the time being, without outdating too quickly. But Im always happy to add to the lens collection if need be! So Im assuming by the feedback that the 18-200VR would be the best starter lens and to move on from there?
Bam

Postby Yanluk on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:43 pm

If you want to go cheap go for Nikon D80 + 18-70mm (don't buy 18-55 is not to good).
Unfortunatly D80 is not to great on High ISO (1000+) as same as any other camery in this price range, so would be better to get something with light 2.8 and here i would suggest Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 for all around photography. But if you think you not going to need 17/18mm wide lens go then for Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8.
Nikon
Yanluk

Postby Marvin on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Samara,
I would say the 18-200 VR would be the best lens to get yourself started. When you have used it for a while and you know what type of photography you are into, you can work out the next type of lens you need/want. In the mean time it will do pretty much everything you need. As Bob said, it's not the sharpest or the fastest lens but it's a good compromise.

One thing though - you will find that you will want to add to your lens collection, however many good lenses are expensive and they are the things you will end up keeping. Bodies are the things you upgrade. I thought I would only ever need my D70 with the 18-70 lens and a tamron 28-300 that I bought. I now have lots of better lenses (much to my husband's disgust!) and I have upgraded to a D200, wishing it was a D300.

I also used DD photographics and was very happy with their service.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Lee
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Bam on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 pm

Thankyou Lee and Yanluk :)

Lee your right, it really is the lenses which you keep and not the body - I guess I never really thought of it that way! So I guess the D80 is a good place to start to learn, and if the time ever comes to upgrade then I will be back asking what to upgrade too (Ive had a quick look at the D300 and have made a promise to myself not to do that again until I have money) :lol:

I will keep the 18-70mm in mind as a possible second lens?

Also, slightly off-topic, but can anyone recommend any good books or the like for SLR beginners? I know i have alot to learn so I appreciate your advice and direction in helping me
Bam

Postby chrisk on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is excellent.
i'd also take a good look at the canon xsi if i were you.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 am

Hi Bam, and welcome.

Please put a MEANINGFUL location into your profile. "Melbourne" does not qualify as meaningful - please check the portal page and FAQ for more details.

Bam wrote:(Ive had a quick look at the D300 and have made a promise to myself not to do that again until I have money) :lol:

Then we'd better not mention the D700, had we? :)

I will keep the 18-70mm in mind as a possible second lens?

Yes, but with the newly announced D700, and the likelihood of more FX bodies in the Nikon realm ($999 for a D400 in three years' time, anyone?) you should also keep an eye focused on whether you'll be shooting in DX or FX mode, and which lenses that direction will restrict you to.

Also, slightly off-topic, but can anyone recommend any good books or the like for SLR beginners? I know i have alot to learn so I appreciate your advice and direction in helping me

What's a "book"?

Forget books.

Grab your camera, get thee outside, Set your camera to A mode, f/5.6, and start shooting. Load your images into your computer, upload a couple that you like for critique, and listen to the advice that's offered. As you look at your images, shoot some more, and adapt how you're shooting. Switch to M mode as you start to become comfy with how A works, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll become an expert.

Or at least proficient. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bam on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Sorry Gary, location has been updated :)

In terms of FX and DX, if the lens has DX stated within its name then that means it would bot be suitable for an FX camera, is this right (and vice versa)? So the 18-200VR wouldnt be suitable if I upgraded the camera body?

Another Question
Hmm... Ive just come across a second hand D3.... Is this a camera worth considering, and at what price would you suggest?
Im a bit iffy about buying second hand as I dont think I would be able to tell if something was wrong with it or not. And knowing my luck, I would get screwed over :?
Are lenses alot more expensive for an FX camera (I think this is FX, right?). What type of lens would I be looking at to begin with if I was to purchase a D3 (equivalent of 18-2200VR?)

**The D3 is going extremely cheap by the looks of it, is that a warning sign?
Bam

Postby MATT on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:08 pm

Bam wrote:**The D3 is going extremely cheap by the looks of it, is that a warning sign?

If from Fleabay or similar i would say yes. If you can pick it up without transferring $$$ than look at it.

MATT
MATT

Re: Newbie unsure of what lens to buy? *update with D3 q*

Postby Bam on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Its in the classifieds so Im asumming there wouldnt be a problem actually going to look at it...

Stupid question, but if I were to go look at it how would I know if it was alright? Are there certain things to look for (that an amateur would be able to pick up?)

Even though its an absolute bargain, Im hesitant about buying second hand :?
Bam

Postby MATT on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Bam wrote:Its in the classifieds so Im asumming there wouldnt be a problem actually going to look at it...

Stupid question, but if I were to go look at it how would I know if it was alright? Are there certain things to look for (that an amateur would be able to pick up?)

Even though its an absolute bargain, Im hesitant about buying second hand :?

Bam, contact the buyer and see if you can arrange a time to view. See if you start to get the runaround. Then see if you have to transfer the money off shore or similar. The D3 is fairly new and i would expect them to still fetch a premium even second hand.

MATT
MATT

Postby Bam on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks Matt :)

Im thinking the sale sounds a bit dodgy as its selling for about a quarter of its price, if not a little less. And I dont see why anyone would sell at such a loss.. Ive contacted them via email, being the only contact option, so I will wait and see what they say.

Not getting my hopes up though, still very happy with the D80
Bam

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Bam wrote:Sorry Gary, location has been updated :)

Thanx. It's greatly appreciated, and that will, in time, be mostly by you. Trust me on this :)

In terms of FX and DX, if the lens has DX stated within its name then that means it would bot be suitable for an FX camera, is this right (and vice versa)? So the 18-200VR wouldnt be suitable if I upgraded the camera body?

With a Canon, you cannot use the crop format lenses on a full frame body.

With a Nikon, you can, but you either switch the camera into DX mode (the default behaviour) or put up with some serious vignetting on your images.

With either brand, you can always use full frame lenses on any body.

Hmm... Ive just come across a second hand D3.... Is this a camera worth considering, and at what price would you suggest?

Absolutely. But bear in mind that the D3 is still somewhat in short supply; they're hand assembled, and not a cheap body. For a beginner, probably a case of serious overkill.

Im a bit iffy about buying second hand as I dont think I would be able to tell if something was wrong with it or not.

And there's the first reason why you should have your location in your profile. If there's something available that's local to you, and you need help in evaluating it, then somebody else who (now) knows that they live near you may be able to offer to help you look at this sort of stuff and help with offering advice and guidance.

Are lenses alot more expensive for an FX camera (I think this is FX, right?). What type of lens would I be looking at to begin with if I was to purchase a D3 (equivalent of 18-2200VR?)

**The D3 is going extremely cheap by the looks of it, is that a warning sign?

Ok ... any Nikkor lens will fit the D3, so you can start with cheaper DX glass and move upwards.

That's the generic answer. :)

The specific answer is that when something looks too good to be true, it probably is. If there's a D3 going very cheaply, then it will either have serious issues, or the person selling it will have serious issues. As a bit of a guie, this site was, I believe, the first in Australia to have the D3 at less than AU6K, and that only happened about a month ago. Use that as your guide as to what the value of a D3 body is.

You say it's advertised in "the classifieds". Which ones?

If you are able to to go and get a hands on of the camera, have a play, and then evaluate it. If it's over the internet and very cheap ... I'd be inclined to let someone else do their dough.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Chaase on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:17 pm

John Hedgecoe
The New Manual of Photography.
The diffinitive guide to photography in every format.

It starts from the basics. The other thing I benefited from was doing an "Introduction to Digital Photography" at the local TAFE.

Bruce
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby Yanluk on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:24 am

Bam wrote:Thanks Matt :)

Im thinking the sale sounds a bit dodgy as its selling for about a quarter of its price, if not a little less. And I dont see why anyone would sell at such a loss.. Ive contacted them via email, being the only contact option, so I will wait and see what they say.

Not getting my hopes up though, still very happy with the D80

If some one want to sale D3 for quater of the RRP so it's around $1250 i would't believie it until i see it. It's just to good to be true, on the other hand, if that's true ask some friend who knows a bit about cameras to go with you to check it before you pay (but maybe don't tell friend how much you paying as he my want to buy it for him/her self :) )

And coming back to lenses, I think the best option for this moment, is to buy one cheep (not cheepest) DX zoom, like Nikon 18-70mm and then start buying other lenses FF/FX as like some one before said, there is big probability of buing good FF camera with price tag around $1000 in near future, just whait and see what's going to happen after Sony will start sellling it's cheep FF A700 (parently :)BTW... Sorry to any one who is reading that for my english :) I'm trying my best.
Nikon
Yanluk

Postby seeto.centric on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:37 am

Bam, goodluck with your decision making. The D80 is no slouch, its a great starting point and doesnt have as many limitations as say.. the D40/D40x/D60.
I just sold my thoroughly tested D70s on fleabay last week.. u missed out :P
However, i've got an 18-70mm left over if you are interested in the near future, let me know.

As for the cheap D3's.. i've noticed heaps on sites like Gumtree. bastards.. heaps of cheap canon 1DM3's too. They all claim to be overseas and have Nigerian bank accounts haha if in doubt, just avoid it. Most likely a scam anyway. As Gary said, D3's aren't that readily available and i dont think anyone would want to sell their's :)

-j
seeto.centric

Postby Bam on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks everyone :)

Bruce, i cant find that particular book at the local libraries but they have a few of his other titles so im goin to go check them out

J, what the 18-70mm worth? Is this a good second lens to go with the 18-200VR?
Bam

Postby Bam on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Forgot to say, i think the D3 was just a scam. i got a very general reply from my email simply telling me to contact them again regarding payment and shipment and they didnt bother answering any of my questions.

So D80 it is!
Bam

Postby Marvin on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:03 pm

You wouldn't get the 18-70 as well as the 18-200 as they cover the same range. I sold my 18-70 when I got my 18-200 as I wasn't using it anymore.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Bam on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Thats what i thought - thanks Marvin :)
Bam

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions