Which DSLR?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Which DSLR?

Postby tangy1 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 am

Hi.,
I',m completly new to dslr. I'm Thinking of a canon 450d but lens I'm stumped on.
I'm after your suggestion so I can do some research on.
I Have a 2k total budget what camera and lens would you suggest? Im after new body.
The type of photo's I may be taking will mainly be landscape,wildlife and some macro and some action. Not portraits and such.
Lens really have me confused as which ones to go for.
kelvin
tangy1

Re: Which DSLR?

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Kelvin, and welcome.

First up, please alter your location in your profile so that it's meaningful. "Brisbane" does not qualify as meaningful. :) Please check our portal page and FAQ for more information on this.

Now, getting to your question, your stated budget is quite usable, and especially moreso a Canon Oz has just reduced some prices.

First, a couple of questions for you: have you been to a store and had a play with a 450D? What about a 40D? Have you had a play with any of the equivalent Nikons - the D40, the D60, and/or the D80?

If not, that should be your first step. You need to see which of those bodies you can work with - how do they feel ... in your hands. There is little, if anything, that is more important than this.

Do you have any idea of what you might be interested in taking photos of? Landscapes? People? Wildlife? Sporting events? They will each demand different qualities from both you and your photographic kit, and it's quite ok for you to not really know the answer to this question at this time. Each of the manufacturers provide some kit lenses that perform perfectly well for people starting in DSLR photography, and to give you a good feel for how you may wish to develop your skills.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:21 am

gstark wrote:Do you have any idea of what you might be interested in taking photos of? Landscapes? People? Wildlife? Sporting events?

Umm, Gary, the OP said:

OP wrote:The type of photo's I may be taking will mainly be landscape,wildlife and some macro and some action. Not portraits and such.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:27 am

Reschsmooth wrote:
gstark wrote:Do you have any idea of what you might be interested in taking photos of? Landscapes? People? Wildlife? Sporting events?

Umm, Gary, the OP said:

OP wrote:The type of photo's I may be taking will mainly be landscape,wildlife and some macro and some action. Not portraits and such.

Thanx Patrick. :)

It's Friday morning. It's cold. WYD. They're my excuses.

And in which case, I'd be suggesting that the OP starts with one of the kit lenses, so as to find his feet and see what he likes.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions