Old Olympus Zuiko Lenses for DLSR

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Old Olympus Zuiko Lenses for DLSR

Postby Anderoo on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi,

I've just joined and this is my first post. I've caught the photo bug quite bad. I had it about 30 years ago and bought an Olympus OM10 which I still have with a 50 mm and 28mm Zuiko lenses and a 90-230mm zoom plus a few filters. A couple of years ago I bought a digital Canon A95 Point and Shoot just for happy snaps. However, the happy snapping has developed into more of a happy hobby and I want to buy a DLSR. From looking at these websites and magazines it seems the serious hobbyists are predomonantly using Canon or Nikon DLSR cameras. Because I have old Olympus lenses I was thinking of buying an Olympus E510 or E520 with the kit 14mm - 42mm lens and also buying the conversion ring so that I can use the old lenses. I was wondering if people thought that was a good idea or not. The reviews I have read on the E510 and E520 all seem pretty favourable. The impression I get is that the Olympus might be slightly inferior in some areas to the equivalent Canon or Nikon but very good value for money. I have a budget of AUS $1000. The E510 older model is selling for just over AUS $500 on some online retailers. That would leave me scope to buy all the extras, memory cards, extra battery, tripod, bag, Photoshop etc.

So my questions are - Is it useful for me to have the capability to use the old lenses? My main interest is in landscape photography. Secondly, Should I buy the new E520 model or is the difference between the the E520 and E510 not large enough to justify the extra cost considering I am still a novice. Thirdly, should I scrap the Olympus idea and look at the Canon or Nikon DLSR models?

Thanks

Andrew
Anderoo

Re: Old Olympus Zuiko Lenses for DLSR

Postby photohiker on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Andrew and Welcome!

This is a bit hard to advise on, as it really depends on how you intend to use the lenses.

The issue is not the quality of the Zuiko lenses at all. They are generally top-notch. It's more to do with the crop factor rendering your wide angle 28mm into a not-so-wide angle lens when used on the Oly 510 or any of the Canon crop cameras (45mm on Canon). That might not be what you're looking for in a landscape lens. I have both the Zuiko 28mm and 21mm, and I have to say that the 21 is my favorite lens for carting through the bush on a multi day hike. It's light and sharp. I am using it on a full frame camera though, it wouldn't be as attractive if it was on a crop camera and giving the same field of view as a 35mm.

For what it's worth the OM series Zuiko lenses are adaptable to both the Olympus digital bodies and Canon. Nikon is not an option as the lensmount to focal plane distance is too short. Focus is manual and metering is stopped down on Canon bodies, I have no information about the Olympus bodies, but I would expect them to be the same. I believe focus-confirming adapters are available for Canon, but I use a plain adapter for mine with success.

I think the best bet would be to have a good look at the available DSLR's in your price bracket. You may find that there is a camera there that suits your needs very well with or without the Zuiko compatibilty. If you find it hard to decide between a couple of cameras, maybe the compatibility might be the deciding factor. Don't be afraid to switch brands at this point, buy the camera system that suits your needs now and covers where you think you might go in the future. I'd generally suggest either a Nikon or Canon because of their market positions, but I'm sure the Olympus gear is well made. My OM2 still works and I'd have traded it for an OM2D if they hadn't dropped the ball.

Michael
photohiker

Postby RDW on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:21 am

Hi Andrew and welcome also,
Like yourself I was an old Olympus fan. I had and OM1n and an OM2n with 50mm 1.4, 35-105mm, 300mm and 28mm Zuiko lenses, motorgrip and loved the kit, but alas when digital reached about 1.6Megapixels, I stopped shooting film and never picked it up again till I took it into a store to place it on consignment. I worked through about 20 or more compact point and shoot digitals until eventually the need for creative composition and control became too strong again and DSLR's pricing fell to the affordable. I had the same questions as you! Like the previous post, the decision will ultimately be yours, but for mine, the simple fact that practically all modern lenses offer very good auto focus really sealed the deal for me. If you purchase on the basis of your old lenses, your whole system will be compromised around compatibility with old manual lenses, regardless of how good they are. Start with a clean slate and you will be able to build it in time into whatever you want. Even start with a good second hand kit to find your feet in the new medium and make up your mind about a keeper kit when you are in a bit deeper. I'm more than happy to share a lot more of my experience if you're interested.
Rob.
RDW

Postby Anderoo on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:28 am

Thanks Michael and Rob. That's good advice and one of the reasons why I've joined this forum. I guess I've got a bit more research to do. Thank God for the Internet.

Andrew
Anderoo

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 am

Welcome Andrew,

I would have a think on what your future holds here. The Olympus provides great value for money and a new format over Canon and Nikon. It also has a crop factor of 2, meaning your 28mm and 50mm become 56mm and 100mm respectively. If you feel that you will only ever spend this $1k on photographic gear, it may be worth getting the Olympus because you may be able to get a good price and can utilise your older lenses. If you think there is a chance you may choose to add to your system, I would choose one of the big 2 players as their systems are much larger and there are many more second hand lenses, both manual and auto focus floating around. If you chose to go with one of the big 2, you could sell your present lenses and buy s/h replacements, in either manual or an AF which will work with no adaptors. The changeover would most likely prove to be modest, depending on chosen lens. The good news is the sub $1k pricepoint is hotly contested and whichever way you go will receive great value (though not an investment, these cameras depreciate fast).

Good luck
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions