CP filters, UV filters, clear protector

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

CP filters, UV filters, clear protector

Postby oreo111 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am

Hi,
Do you guys use UV filters at all? I've read that it's not important.

Also, how much difference does a good (expensive) circular polarizing filter make in your photos. I got a DSLR camera, so it's a big investment, and I don't want to waste it by buying a cheap filter. At the same time, if it doesn't make a noticeable difference, I would rather not spend the money. Too often I fall into the trap of going all the way instead of just using what works...

I have a Canon T1i/500D.

Thanks!
Camera: Canon T1i (500D), kit lens
oreo111

Re: CP filters, UV filters, clear protector

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi,

Just to get this out of they way....please place a meaningful location into your profile as it is a condition of membership...refer to FAQ or the pink box at the top of the page...

Welcome to DSLRusers!

There is currently a discussion on UV filters http://dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37285 that may help you with your first question. But in a nutshell...UV (protection) filters are a double edged sword...protect but affect image quality...so if you decide to use them get good ones...esp if you have good lenses (kit lenses are a bit of a waste of time and money buying top grade filters for)

Circular Polariser filters are a completely different beast, they are one of the things that PhotoShop cannot replicate. They are expensive, but if you are going to be shooting in bright conditions and glare will be a problem then it is a worthy investment. C-Pols also help to saturate colours as well. Here you will be torn between getting a filter to fit your current lenses or buying a bigger 77mm filter (more exy) and get adaptor rings to suit smaller lenses.

I would advise, have a read of the other thread regarding protection filters...decide what you want to do. As for a C-Pol...get one when you need one.

May I ask, which lens kit did you get with the 500D?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby oreo111 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Roger on the location - didn't know.

I have a 18-55mm EF-S with IS. It's the standard one that comes with the 500D.

So, in an effort to balance saving and spending, I'm leaning on this lens for $42:
Hoya 58 mm PRO1 DIGITAL Circular Polarizer Filter DMC
Camera: Canon T1i (500D), kit lens
oreo111

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:04 pm

Great to see that we have another American on this website..if you have not realised we are mainly Australian based (so keep in mind prices will be a bit different).

The Pro1 filters are very good, probably more than I would bother with for the 18-55IS but then again buying a bit too much is better than buying something cheaper and buying again.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Photopotamus on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:13 pm

aim54x wrote:The Pro1 filters are very good, probably more than I would bother with for the 18-55IS but then again buying a bit too much is better than buying something cheaper and buying again.

As a fellow Canon-ite to Oreo, and also holder of this lens, I too have a Hoya Pro1 C-Pol that I use. It's good value. That said, I've also recently picked up a Kenko one (67mm) for my 17-85 that is as good as (or better) than the Hoya, and cheaper too!

Given that both are owned by Tokina, there are differing opinions on whether they are of the same construction/calibre. I have both, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either...
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Postby Wink on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Would a slim filter be needed for the wider end at 18mm on that lens?

I've been looking at CPL's for my 10-22mm and i've been told i need to buy a slim filter.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Wink wrote:Would a slim filter be needed for the wider end at 18mm on that lens?

Yes.

I've been looking at CPL's for my 10-22mm and i've been told i need to buy a slim filter.

That is good advice.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Photopotamus on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Wink wrote:Would a slim filter be needed for the wider end at 18mm on that lens?

I have found the Pro1 series of these to be said, "slim" filters. Much more so than the that standard ones (Hoya Green/Purple Series). Again, I have both Pro1 and the "other" kind... :oops:
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Postby aim54x on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Slim filters are a must...if you are going to be spending money to buy a C-Pol then definitely get a good quality (and slim one). Hoya Pro1D and Ultra series filters are slim...as are the Marumi DHG C-Pols
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Wink on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks for the info.
HVStar.net seem to be popular for filters.

The list of stuff i need just never seems to end. :lol:
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions