Buying lenses duty free + lens recommendations?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Buying lenses duty free + lens recommendations?

Postby Wappie on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm new to forums and new to DSLR'S.
I am buying a Canon7D in the next week. Is it OK to buy through an online only store? A couple of these stores have much cheaper 7D's by hundreds of dollars. Does this mean there is a problem with their service or warranty or any other factor I should know about?
Also could anyone recommend a 'proper' macro lens, plus a lens that will cover telephoto, landscapes, and general photography. I have been given a range of information and was going to get 2 lenses with IS and USM because with my NikonCoolpix 5700 speed was too slow, and I need stabilization for sure. One wonderful and helpful shop suggested going for EF rather than EF S because I am planning on really improving my photography to a high level...hopefully!!!
Thanks in advance for all responses.
Wappie.
Wappie

Re: Buying lenses duty free + lens recommendations?

Postby surenj on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Be careful of online ONLY stores. Call and discuss with them your warranty concerns. If there is a fault you may need to send the camera overseas which can be a major hassle.

I would suggest Canon 60mm 2.8 or 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. Tamron 90mm is also excellent for macro.

Wappie wrote:plus a lens that will cover telephoto, landscapes, and general photography

When you find this perfect lens let us know what it is.... :mrgreen:

Otherwise 24-105 is an excellent investment. I have the 17-85 which is 'ok' but has issues with distortion and CA.

There haven't been reviews of the 15-85 mm efs but I suspect it may be not bad.

What is your budget? the above will cost $4400. It maybe an idea to get a cheap body and good lenses with the option of upgrading the body as needed in the future when they will come down in price.

In any case, what ever you buy will be heaps better in IQ than your coolpix.

hth
surenj

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Depending on your budget, I would be looking at the 17-40mm f/4L (sorry no IS) and then the 70-200mm f/4L IS (or even the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS) matched with either the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro or the Canon 100mm f/2.8. This will meet all your needs and give you some wide angle ability, keeping in mind that they 7D is a APS-C body (ie has a 1.6 crop factor) so the 24-105mm f/4L is not all that wide. Although I am a Nikon user, I can say that I have used all the lenses mentioned here and find that the 17-40 + 70-200 combination very hard to fault on a crop sensor, as for the macro I would go with the Tamron. PS welcome aboard..and please add a meaningful location to your profile...see the FAQ
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:10 am

Hi, and welcome.

[Housekeeping]Please be sure to add your location into the profile. There's a nasty admin around here - gstark - and he gets really pissed off if people don't comply with the forum rules. :)[/Housekeeping]

Why are you looking at the 7D, and what other bodies have you looked at? What features of the 7D appeal to you, and how does it feel in your hands?

Be very wary of online only stores. We have some info on a few of them, and most don't seem to come up to par. The real issue is not that they're a few hundred dollars cheaper, but whether they actually deliver. That makes the supposed saving rather moot.

Be aware that in Australia there is no duty on photographic equipment; just GST.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Wappie on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi everyone. Thank you for all the input. I appreciate it very much. I'll absorb and google all suggestions and get back to your questions. What a wonderful education tool this is.

I have read all the information re a meaningful location but can't find where to add my location, other than in this post. I must be missing something obvious. I'd love some ideas!

For now my location is Clayfield, Brisbane.
Wappie
Wappie

Postby Gadgit on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:17 pm

You can get to your profile to add the location by:
Logging in (if you aren't already)
Near the top of the page there will be a link to the 'user control panel' - click on this.
You will be taken to a new page where the second table says 'profile' - click this.
You should see when you can enter your location.

Regards,
Steve.
Regards,
Steve
Nikon Stuff
Redbubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/SBalson
Gadgit

Postby xerubus on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Wappie and welcome to the forums.

As other have said, what are you planning on shooting etc... it will make a big difference to your purchasing pattern.

Also, what level of photographer? I know you are new to dslr, but how about slr in general?

As far as macro goes in the canon world, you cannot go past the mpe 60mm. It's a lens that all us Nikon shooters drool over and wait with baited breath for Nikon to replicate or better. It's a hell of a beast to learn with though, so if you're new to photography in general expect some frustration with it at first.

Can I also add one last bit of advice. I have learnt this lesson the very hard way, and I'm paying for it now. If you are serious about your hobby, or perhaps profession down the track... then buy once! If you want a good telephoto, get the canon 70-200 IS L 2.8 straight up. You'll only want it in the future, so don't bother skimping on something cheaper now.... it will come back to bite you. Good glass will stay with you forever..... camera bodies are disposable. Same story with something like the 16-35 etc etc. Just my two bob.

In the mean time.. enjoy your stay. Awesome bunch of people here, and a lot of knowledge around.
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:02 pm

xerubus wrote:As far as macro goes in the canon world, you cannot go past the mpe 60mm. It's a lens that all us Nikon shooters drool over and wait with baited breath for Nikon to replicate or better. It's a hell of a beast to learn with though, so if you're new to photography in general expect some frustration with it at first.

You mean the MP-E 65mm? I sold one recently, the customer came back and said it is an amazing lens BUT it is a total pain in the arse to use!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 pm

aim54x wrote:the customer came back and said it is an amazing lens BUT it is a total pain in the arse to use!

With the X5 magnification, one has to compromise on working distance, metering and focus. Hopefully you sold him some macro focussing rails as well. :wink:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 pm

surenj wrote:
aim54x wrote:the customer came back and said it is an amazing lens BUT it is a total pain in the arse to use!

With the X5 magnification, one has to compromise on working distance, metering and focus. Hopefully you sold him some macro focussing rails as well. :wink:

Nope, but I reckon he will come back for one...his next purchase will be the 17-40 F4L though
Cameron
aim54x

Postby xerubus on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:16 am

aim54x wrote:
xerubus wrote:As far as macro goes in the canon world, you cannot go past the mpe 60mm. It's a lens that all us Nikon shooters drool over and wait with baited breath for Nikon to replicate or better. It's a hell of a beast to learn with though, so if you're new to photography in general expect some frustration with it at first.

You mean the MP-E 65mm? I sold one recently, the customer came back and said it is an amazing lens BUT it is a total pain in the arse to use!

That's the one. Pain to use initially, but with practice it's a cracker of a lens.
xerubus

Postby Wappie on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 am

Hi all,

Lost a very detailed post last night with which you might help me decide on lenses. :x
Repeat performance following:

Location done thankyou Steve.

The big question being asked of me is "What am I planning on shooting?"
Everything bar studio work at this stage.
Love Macro, so have taken lots of flowers, bark etc since I started photography in 2003 with Coolpix 5700.
I certainly want to explore nearly every area of photograpyhy, because I do love it, and while a career may or may not eventuate, I would like to be able to see a photo in my head and be able to create that, by knowing how to set up the camera to achieve that.
I could really enjoy wildlife, landscapes, people in their "natural" day to day living (not posed photos), social documentary, patterns big and small, and dawn and dusk low light work.
This forum so far has been very helpful, but of all the lens suggestions, what do I choose? As xerubus said and I agree, "buy once". I know I'm passionate and dedicated to photography and am willing to spend the dollars now to get a camera and lenses I can grow into, rather than start with a so so set up.
Now, that brings me to the comment re maybe buying a lesser body and putting the money into the lenses. What body would you suggest. I guess I am keen on the 7D because it's fast at startup, 8fps, has lots of new features and therefore will be all that I could ever need for years to come as my photography develops. ISO of 6400 (12800) appeals for low light work, waterproofing is good, Quick menu button will save me from a steep learning curve and possible insanity, plus electronic levelling etc etc.

There you have it gurus. :wink: What do I do? All in your hands. I wish it was that easy!
Wappie
Wappie

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:11 am

If you had to go Canon...

50D or 7D
-17-40mm f/4L
-70-200mm F2.8L IS (or F/4L IS)
-100mm f/2.8 Macro

That should get you sorted for a while

if you can push the dollars, then go the 5D Mk II instead of the 50D or the 7D.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dviv on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:31 pm

aim54x wrote:If you had to go Canon...

50D or 7D
-17-40mm f/4L
-70-200mm F2.8L IS (or F/4L IS)
-100mm f/2.8 Macro

That should get you sorted for a while

if you can push the dollars, then go the 5D Mk II instead of the 50D or the 7D.

:agree:

Although I'd probably recommend the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 instead of the 17-40 F/4
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:03 pm

dviv wrote:Although I'd probably recommend the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 instead of the 17-40 F/4

The only reason the L gets my nod is that it remains a useful lens for a full frame camera. I love the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and would have no issues swapping the two if I was not going to ever go to full frame.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby dviv on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:32 pm

aim54x wrote:
dviv wrote:Although I'd probably recommend the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 instead of the 17-40 F/4

The only reason the L gets my nod is that it remains a useful lens for a full frame camera. I love the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and would have no issues swapping the two if I was not going to ever go to full frame.

Good point - Although for full frame 17-40 is a little wide for using as a walkaround lens (IMHO).

For a full frame camera I'd be looking at the 24-70 2.8
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:22 pm

dviv wrote:
aim54x wrote:

Good point - Although for full frame 17-40 is a little wide for using as a walkaround lens (IMHO).

For a full frame camera I'd be looking at the 24-70 2.8

The 17-40 is awesome for the crop...and when you go full frame you get either the 24-70 or the 24-205 and the 17-40 becomes your ultrawide (as it is designed for).
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Wappie on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks Cameron and dviv. Really appreciate your help.

How different are the results from a full frame camera versus a crop camera, and would I be better buying the full frame? Is that the way technology is going or will there always be full and crop frames? If so I guess it's smart to buy lenses that can operate well on both types of cameras if that's possible.

Wappie.
Wappie

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Full frame lenses will always work on DX bodies. The other way round works sometimes , but rarely works well.

Basically, you you want low light performance, get full frame as they are better in low light.
If you want maximum telephoto performance for your buck, get a DX body as you effectively increase any lenses telephoto capability by 50%. You can crop an FX to get the same effect, but you lose a lot of definition. (Your 12Mp camera becomes a 5Mp one)
If Wide is the way you like your photos, then FX is the way to go.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby surenj on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm

Wappie wrote:would I be better buying the full frame?

If you have enough funds to buy full frame now, then I would assume you would have enough funds to upgrade in the future if needed. Is the question moot in that case? The difference between crop and full frame won't be noticable to you if you are upgrading from a coolpix. They will both blow you away. :mrgreen:

I would agree with Cameron's suggestion re: 17-40 +70-200. They will both work on fullframe and retain their resale value. Infact, these lenses are hard to find secondhand! When I bought my lens, I wasn't keen on switching lenses too often so went with the compromise of the 17-85.
surenj

Postby Photopotamus on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 pm

:agree:

And that's why I hang out here.... So much good, free advice. And the banter is entertaining too! :cheers:

Now if only I could find the money for a 7D and a 70-200 f2.8 IS...
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Photopotamus wrote:Now if only I could find the money for a 7D .

We now have one of those for review
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby xerubus on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:27 am

Canon 7D
24-70 2.8 (FX benefits)
70-200 2.8
100mm 2.8 macro

That kit should last you a very long time.

One really important thing you have missed... a dedicated flash. You will need it for macro and street work.
xerubus

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions