How do you know which f-stop to use?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How do you know which f-stop to use?

Postby Neeper on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:20 pm

I don't know if this is a beginner's question or not. But say shutter speed didn't matter, and DOF (or bokeh?) didn't matter. How do you decide which F-stop to use? I guess what I am asking is, how do you know which F-stop will give you the sharpest picture?
Neeper

Postby xerubus on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:27 pm

if shutter speed and dof etc didn't matter, i guess the answer to your question would depend on the lens being used. each lens has it's own 'sweet' spot.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Neeper on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:41 pm

Would there be a list somewhere of different lenses and their sweet spots?
Neeper

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:14 pm

Unfortunately, no, but it really wouldn't be of too much use. Each lens has its own characteristics, and what I'm seeing as a sweet spot in my lens might not be the case in your example of the same lens.

Getting back to your question, it becomes a rather arbitrary decision, kicked along more than a little bit based upon your gut feeling of how you want the image to look.

Do you want a lot of DoF? If so, you'll cose the lens down. Conversely, if you're wanting shallow DoF you'll open it up. Once your aperture is chosen, the measured available light will give you an EV, and your shutter speed will follow just like the tail on your dog.

But if your subject is fast moving, you might decide to freeze that motion, or you might want to shoot it to get a blurred motion effect. Either way, yu've just changed the way you're thinking of shooting the photo, and your primary consideration has just become the shutter speed.

Select the shutter speed, and your aperture choice (just as it was before) is simply a matter of metering.

HTH.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:39 pm

JT, there's s saying: "f/8 and be there". :)
Onyx

Postby Neeper on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:21 am

Thanks for the reply guys.
Neeper

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions