Wrong W/B - easy correction ?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Wrong W/B - easy correction ?

Postby Eunosdriver on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:21 pm

OK, I'm still slipping off the learning curve, I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Out with the kids on the hottest sunniest day of the year so far, shooting in aperture priority, jpeg.

Thought I'd set the white balance to direct sun - but managed to set it to tungsten instead (my excuse is a lightbulb looks a bit like a sun when you're not paying attention!)

Only a few shots were affected until I realised the colour cast on the LCD wasn't down to the bright light - but one of them is one I'd like to try and rescue.

My question is; is there a generally accepted way to correct the colour cast in Photoshop? I've had a go myself, and it looks OK, but I'm not convinced it's right. Can't post the pics right now, as I'm at work and the files aren't.
Pete

There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't
Eunosdriver

Re: Wrong W/B - easy correction ?

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:51 pm

Pete,

Eunosdriver wrote:My question is; is there a generally accepted way to correct the colour cast in Photoshop? I've had a go myself, and it looks OK, but I'm not convinced it's right. Can't post the pics right now, as I'm at work and the files aren't.

There are 10 answers to this question: the first is that if you're shooting raw, then yes. The other is that if you're shooting jpg (which is the case here) then not really.

You'll need to play around with the colours and curves, and just see what and how you can best rescue the images.

FWIW, you might like to try running them through NC and seeing if any of the auto adjustments help; IME they usually can.

Good luck.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions