A little advice for a beginner

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

A little advice for a beginner

Postby Soulboy on Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:04 pm

I'm on a limited budget and want to make sure I can get the best use out od what I've got to spend so I just wanted to ask your advice on what I should do next as regards extra kit for my camera.

Currently, I have just the basic D70 and the kit lens - now so far this is fine for me as I'm still getting to grips with the camera and I'm beginning (at long last!) to see some improvement in my picture taking. The question is, where should I look next?

I'm interested in close up photography and have my eye, so to speak, on the Nikkor 105mm micro lens, I don't mind holding out while I save up my pennies for this lens if it's as good as everyone I've read here says that it is.

The thing is though, I'd also like to get an SB-800 flash unit and maybe start expimenting with that too.

Would I be wasting my time with the flash at this stage when I only have the kit lens (I hate that term BTW as I actually think it's very good from my untrained point of view) to play with? In which case, I'd have to postpone buying the lens for another couple of months.
Or should I hold out for the lens initially and worry about the flash at a later date?

Again, I'd appreciate your advice on this one - as in what would you do in my shoes? :)

Andy
Soulboy

Postby MHD on Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:28 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking...
Either of the purchases you mentioned will expand the capabilities of your system...

The SB-800 is quite good with the kit lens... an external flash complements any lens and opens a whole world of creative illumination (I have the older and less featured sb-80DX)

My caves pictures (look in the image reviews section) were taken with the kit + sb-80dx

Strong suggestion though... post here a bit more, put some images up for review, there are some nice privilidges for members who have passed a certain numbers of posts and proved them selves good members of community...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Soulboy on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:17 am

Thanks for replying MHD, I suppose I'm asking (in my usual round-the-houses style) is what would I be better off getting first, being that I have to budget carefully.

What I wanted to clarify was also whether I wouldn't be wasting my time buying a flash unit with only a kit lense at my disposal for the time being.

Infact I'm beginning to sway towards the sb-800 first before I start buying any extra lenses, at least then it'll give my the opportunity to get up to speed with that.

By the way - lovely pics! beautiful golden reds you've managed to capture - I'll have to sort some out of the weekend for posting.
Soulboy

Postby MHD on Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:59 am

Yeah.... If I had to choose ir would be the external flash..

While a macro lens is a lot of fun (in fact I plan for the 105/2.8 to be be my next glass) the flash is good for bread and butter shots...
And once you get the hang of bouncing a whole new world of photographic chances opens up :)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Killakoala on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:00 am

I'd be inclined to get the SB800 flash first. The flash will be useful with whatever lenses you purchase in the future and you can use it fully now.

The SB800 has a learning curve as it is quite complex, however you can also use it without any knowledge of it as well.

Of course, that's my opinion.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:12 am

Soulboy - as the the others have said the SB800 would be my first choice (and it was) but I would also consider the Sigma 105mm macro later - it is cheaper than the Nikon and does a extremely good job (and I have this too) :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby dhess on Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:32 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but why are some closeup lenses called "micro" and others "macro"?

Aren't the words macro and micro antonyms?
dhess

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:37 pm

dhess - depends on the manufacturer - basically they mean the same in the context of photography :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Soulboy on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks guys! Flash it is then. With the added benifit of giving me something new to learn while I save. :)

I'd not really considered anything other than Nikkon as far as lenses go, maybe I should take a proper look at the alternatives before I lay down any hard cash.
While on the subject of micro/macro lenses and I apologise if this is the wrong place, but does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 90mm?
Soulboy

Postby Killakoala on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:28 pm

The Tamron 90mm is a superb lens too. I really like this lens. It's a pity i don't own one. :) (I borrowed this one from our Patron Birddog)

Two pics from it.

Steve.
Killakoala

Postby Soulboy on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:42 pm

Wow! they're stunning Steve! Maybe I should add that to the list too.
Sigma or Nikon, Tamron or Nikon, Tamron or Sigma?! This could all start to get very confusing :? :)
Soulboy

Postby huynhie on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:46 pm

I'd get the lens before the flash as you already have the internal flash to get you by. :wink:
huynhie

Postby Killakoala on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:52 pm

Soulboy wrote:Wow! they're stunning Steve! Maybe I should add that to the list too.
Sigma or Nikon, Tamron or Nikon, Tamron or Sigma?! This could all start to get very confusing :? :)

Yeah, get the flash first, then worry about which macro lens is best. I reckon they are all as good as one another :)
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby christiand on Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Killakoala,

cool photos !
how much would the purchase of that lens set you back ?

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby Killakoala on Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:54 am

christiand wrote:Hi Killakoala,

cool photos !
how much would the purchase of that lens set you back ?

Cheers
CD

I borrowed that one during our inaugural photo shoot at Brighton-Le-Sands, south of Sydney, from Birddog. I have no idea how much ot cost :)
Steve.
Killakoala

Postby Soulboy on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:16 am

That'll be interesting - the current cost of the 90mm Tamron here in the UK is the equivalent of $900 Australian dollars (it's £370 GBP at jessops - probably cheaper if you looked around)

I wonder if it's any cheaper over there - or over here if most of you are there or here even. I'm doing it again ain't I :?
Soulboy

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions