Exposure metering limit confusion?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Exposure metering limit confusion?

Postby lejazzcat on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:30 am

Hey all,
HAving lots of fun with the new toy , but
I wonder if anyone else has encountered this conflicting reading readout when doing long , night exposures, in S or A modes.
(no flash and no compensation)

I set say a 10 sec exposure(S mode), or the aperture at f1.8( A mode).

I take a reading of a dark scene , but get a "LO" in the viewfinder at either the user set shutterspeed, or aperture, but, then when I recompose the subject so that it includes the light source in the composition, it tells me i have heaps of room to play (either with shutterspeed or aperture). Im aware that it seeing the light ....

I recompose to eliminate the light source and the "LO" reappears in the viewfinder,I fire the shutter and the camera exposes the scene ...well enough.

But heres the problem- i take a look at the exif info of the exposure, and it tells me it had plenty of room to play with exposure !
Lets say im in S mode (5sec) - ill get a EXIF exposure at F4.5 made with a f:1.8 lens !
Why did it say it was too "LO'' to get a correct exposure if it made its "correct" exposure at f4.5 ?> why didnt it need to go to wide open if it was "LO" ?

theres nothing in the manual that i saw that explains this discrepency . Any ideas?

Confused...
So many ideas. So little time.

"The camera is much more than a recording apparatus, it is a medium via which messages reach us from another world, a world that is not ours and that brings us to the heart of a great secret" Orson Welles
lejazzcat

Postby theK on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:08 am

What metering mode are you using?

The metering mode chosen affects the suggested aperture/shutter speed in the shooting modes other than M.

Spot: Only measures a small roundish area, depending on the focus point chosen.

Center-weighted: Measures a larger roundish area, just slightly smaller than the circle visible in the VF. Best for portrait.

Matrix: Takes measurement from 1005 cells spread evenly on the frame. This metering mode takes the average of the exposure settings required.

I don't use P or S shooting mode, so I can't comment why it chose f/4.5 instead of f/1.8 when the light was low. I usually use M or A, since I dial in my settings starting with the DOF that I will need for the shot.
theK

Postby lejazzcat on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:56 am

I tried both Matrix and spot.
I think that spot is less sensetive , but thought ide try it to test the exposure...

I know what your saying - i also tend to use the A mode, but because i can see the effect the shutter speed has on my aperture i can balance one against the other.
The problem is the same - if i set it to A - ill get a "LO" where the shutter speed time readout should appear, and visa versa if its set to S.

Even if i set the shutter time to 30 sec - it still says "LO"
but the actual exposure would be something like 5 sec when i look at the EXIF afterwards...

Its really painful, as i would prefer to be able to set it to A and get a exposure reading that tells me what the length of the exposure will be in advance, so i can anticipate the effect ....

"The camera is much more than a recording apparatus, it is a medium via which messages reach us from another world, a world that is not ours and that brings us to the heart of a great secret" Orson Welles
lejazzcat

Postby pippin88 on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:44 pm

I didn't understand what you meant at first but now I do.

I've noticed this too, where it will say LO and then expose a scene correctly with much less time. I always expect it to go for the max shutter time possible.

I have no idea why or how it does this, or if the LO reading in these cases is a bit off?
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby lejazzcat on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:53 pm

well thank god someone else has seen this problem - i thought my d70 was stuffed.
Sorry i probably didnt explain it as well as i should - i guess i understood the explaination - but even i was a bit confused .

Thanks Pippin!

lejazzcat

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions