RAW...what is it all about??

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

RAW...what is it all about??

Postby rahudman on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi there,

Am still awaiting on the cash for my d70 (june/july), but had a question I have been meaning to ask.

What is RAW format all about :?: Can someone please give me a clear and general understanding/explanation of what it is all about, the advantages/fallback, and what it enables you to do :?:

Thanks a bunch 8)
The mountains are my happy place....
rahudman

Postby Mal on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:12 pm

I think you will find all your answers here rahudman

http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=3333&highlight=raw
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:38 pm

I was a JPegger and finally started shooting Raw today. In jpeg I was having problems with massive amounts of noise in the sky when converting to black and white, or even basic darkening. I was also posterizing or banding when going from light skies to dark skies. So I shot in JPEG for months and have some decent files that I'd like to blow up and print and sell but I can't now because they are in Jpeg. If you're planning on being a seriouse photog (and I know that you are) plan on shooting in RAW.

Basically, your camera has a computer that processes information that makes up a photo. When you shoot in Jpeg you are telling the camera "compress the information as you see fit in regards to white balance, exposure and tonal range etc because you seem to know what you're doing". THe computer then decides on what is important, and throws the rest away. In Raw you're telling the computer "keep everything, I want full control".

In my most recent jpegs, I didn't seem to be able to edit in 16 bit, only 8 bit which is half of the information (part of the banding problem). Then if you want to print out something big, you'll want to use TIF as it will provide better quality (at larger sizes). So basically with Raw:
More exposure latitude (dynamic range)
More White Balance manipulation (light warmth)
Better tones
and that's just for starters, I'm just dabbling as of yet, but I'm now a convert through and through.

One thing to remember however is that no format can compensate for lack of proper exposure. The better you nail exposure, the better the picture will be period.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:47 pm

I shoot RAW since I got my D100 few years back and never look back .

All my DSLR cameras I turn OFF all compression of RAW, I want real RAW.
Say:
With the D2x the file is smaller as 20Mb/ pic/ 1Gb card can take 50 and 2Gb card can take 100, am waiting for 4 x 4Gb cards arrive.
To process 20Mb file is fun, if I don't have a decent PC as at least P4/ 3.2GHz and 2Gb of RAM + 500Gb SATA, then I need to start it up and take a nap :wink: other side I have full RAW file to process and crop.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Thanks a bunch!

Postby rahudman on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:31 am

Briddog, Dooda, and Mal....thanks for te input, much appreciated. I have a much better understanding of it already. Think I might be very quickly converted when I get my D70 :D

Looks like I'll have to shell out for some bigger memory cards though :?

Cheers...
The mountains are my happy place....
rahudman

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions