Focus Brakets help (I think)!

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Focus Brakets help (I think)!

Postby flavs on Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:02 pm

Hi all,

I just purchased my first digital camera (d70 of course!) and have been reading some of the post which I find very helpful as Im a begginer, so thank you for providing this wealth of information!

Now I appologise in advance if Im using the wrong term but this is a new language for me. My problem is this:

When I change the exposure mode to A S, in my viewfinder I see that the metering bracket allows me to focus with the left bracket. Even if my subject is at the center it only allows me to focus with the left bracket. So I have to move the camera to the left and focus and then recenter the subject. How can I fix this issue, I had a look through the manual and it does not really explain how to modify this.

Also if this helps to find the stem of my issue, when I look at the LCD display the AF area also shows a little '[]' to the left hand side.

I had a search in the forum and found myself overwhelmed with amount of post entry when I typed focus bracket. However if this issue has already been posted, please let me know how you located the post so I can learn on the searching techniques.

Thanks in advance

Flavio
flavs

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 pm

Welcome Flavs - go to page 68 of the D70 manual and set your autofocus options to AF-S - dynamic area. You will then be able to use the four way switch (the round one) on the back of the camera to set the area (the squares in the viewfinder) to what you want - generally the centre area. Custom setting 3 is where you set the AF options. :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby mudder on Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:52 pm

G'day Flavs, welcome...
If you're using single focus, you can slide the button on the right hand side of the LCD up from the "L" to the position with the "dot", then use the four-way direction button to choose between the focus "spots" or sensors, sliding the button down to the "L" position then locks the focus sensor to your chosen one and keeps it there... I think, I don't have the cam in front of me at the moment...

Cheers.
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby flavs on Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks sirhc55 and mudder, I followed your instructions and I was able to set the correct sensor.
flavs

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions