Metering

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Metering

Postby ast on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:14 am

hi guys!

just want to ask about metering:

1.) on center-weight metering, if i change the AF area point to right af point, when i meter, should i based it on the center af point?

2.) on spot metering, if i change the AF area point to right af point, when i meter, should i based it on the right af point?
http://www.myPhotoDB.com/ast

Gears: D70, kit lens, 50mm 1.8D, SB-800
ast

Postby Onyx on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:22 am

Spot follows your chosen AF point. Centre weighted does not. That's what the camera does.

What you SHOULD do in terms of metering is fully dependent on what you want as the outcome of your image.
Onyx

Postby ast on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:41 pm

thanks so much for the info! :)

anyway, is it advisable to use the side AF point when shooting vertical shots? or the center AF point is the way to go? because i noticed that using the center AF point, you tend to move the camera more when recomposing.
http://www.myPhotoDB.com/ast

Gears: D70, kit lens, 50mm 1.8D, SB-800
ast

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:47 pm

Onyx wrote:
Spot follows your chosen AF point. Centre weighted does not. That's what the camera does.

Really....

So if I have my camera set to center-weighted than I am always taking a meter reading from the center focus setting, regardless of which focus point I am actually focusing on...

I never knew this.

I always thought centerweighted was just a "larger" spot metering setting.

You learn something everyday.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Onyx on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:10 pm

ast wrote:anyway, is it advisable to use the side AF point when shooting vertical shots? or the center AF point is the way to go? because i noticed that using the center AF point, you tend to move the camera more when recomposing.

Personally I would advise using the closest AF point to the subject's face when shooting portraits at wide apertures (f/2.8 or larger) because there could be a difference in distance to subject when you recompose. This slight difference in distance could make the recomposed subject fall outside of acceptable focus.

However, the D70's non-central AF points are pretty shocking in low light or reduced contrast situations, due to its suckiness - technically known as not having cross hatched sensors.
Onyx

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions