Aperture Question

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Aperture Question

Postby beej on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:59 pm

Just a noob question i've been thinking about for awhile.

I understand the principle of Aperture in Lenses, but can someone please answer this scenario:

Two simlar lenses where the main difference is Maximum Aperture, will they both let through the same amount of light at the same aperture?

e.g. Will the 50mm1.4 let in the same or more light than a 50mm1.8 at the same aperture, say f/4?

Cheers
- beej
beej

Postby huynhie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:14 pm

If you had two 50mm lenses ( f1.4 and f1.8 ) and set the aperture to f4 with the same iso and same subject, then your exposure time should be the same.
huynhie

Postby beej on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:39 pm

Thanks.

But then why the fascination with such lenses where you'll rarely use them wide-open due to such shallow DOF?

Theoretically they can be a great aid in low-light situations, but there will a negative effect on your images where only a thin plane in focus.
beej

Postby Onyx on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:55 pm

Beej, I fully agree with you regarding the use of fast lenses in low light - you're compromising depth of field just for 'getting the shot'.

The differences in your example transcends beyond mere maximum aperture values. There is substantial difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 50mm primes in build quality. I guess that's where your extra dollars go.
Onyx

Postby huynhie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm

People do use them wide open, the depth of field will get shallower the closer you move towards the subject. So if you are far away them DOF wont be too shallow.

The F1.4 gives you the option to shoot at f1.4 the f1.8 doesn't. Sometime you need that option.
huynhie

Postby theK on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:08 pm

Another advantage of the 1.4 is that when used on a more recent Nikon cameras such as the D70 (where you must set lenses with aperture rings to its maximum aperture before mounting it on the camera, e.g. 50mm f/1.4 at 1.4), is that it helps focussing in low-light.

Bigger aperture = more opening for light to shine onto focus sensors = quicker to lock focus.

The camera will try to acquire focus when you press the shutter halfway (or using the AE/AF button, if you set it to AF-on) at the lens' maximum aperture (1.4), and only stop down to the selected aperture (e.g. f/4) when you press the shutter all the way down.
theK

Re: Aperture Question

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:20 pm

beej wrote:e.g. Will the 50mm1.4 let in the same or more light than a 50mm1.8 at the same aperture, say f/4?

Good question, Beej.

F4 is F4 is F4. :)

So yes, they will let the same anount of light through. I'm sure someone will post the formula for this.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:32 pm

TheK wrote:.....where you must set lenses with aperture rings to its maximum aperture before mounting it on the camera, e.g. 50mm f/1.4 at 1.4....

Are you sure this is correct? I've never done this. Why is it necessary. I thought the cpu enabled connections told the D70 all it needed to control the lens fully.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:34 pm

stubbsy wrote:
TheK wrote:.....where you must set lenses with aperture rings to its maximum aperture before mounting it on the camera, e.g. 50mm f/1.4 at 1.4....

Are you sure this is correct? I've never done this. Why is it necessary. I thought the cpu enabled connections told the D70 all it needed to control the lens fully.

Yeah I have never done this either :?
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby leek on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:39 pm

W00DY wrote:
stubbsy wrote:

Yeah I have never done this either :?

Maybe we're talking about different things here, but I have to do it on my 50mm 1.4 and on my 70-300mm otherwise you get the dreaded FEE error... They have to be manually set to the widest aperture (and have a little locking switch to keep them there)...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:42 pm

leek wrote:
Maybe we're talking about different things here, but I have to do it on my 50mm 1.4 and on my 70-300mm otherwise you get the dreaded FEE error... They have to be manually set to the widest aperture (and have a little locking switch to keep them there)...

Thinking about it maybe the lens I use (70 - 300) is always in the locked position anyway. So yeah your probably right.

I have just no t noticed it before.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby huynhie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:43 pm

On a lense with an aperture ring the aperture must be set at the minimum eg-f22 on a consumer Nikon camera otherwise you'll get and FEE error.
huynhie

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:49 pm

Leek and The K are correct. Maybe the reason Woody and Stubbsy haven't done it is because you guys don't have 50 1.4s. One correction though is that you actually set the lens at its smallest aperture possible (largest number), but as TheK says, it stay wide open till you depress the shutter button. The 50 1.4 is an older design than the newer AFS and G lens you two are used to using. Most of the AF lenses are like this.
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Glen wrote:Leek and The K are correct. Maybe the reason Woody and Stubbsy haven't done it is because you guys don't have 50 1.4s. One correction though is that you actually set the lens at its smallest aperture possible (largest number), but as TheK says, it stay wide open till you depress the shutter button. The 50 1.4 is an older design than the newer AFS and G lens you two are used to using. Most of the AF lenses are like this.

Thanks Glen. So the 50/1.4 is old school :shock: - maybe I shouldn't get one since I have more to remember :wink:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Glen wrote:Leek and The K are correct. Maybe the reason Woody and Stubbsy haven't done it is because you guys don't have 50 1.4s. One correction though is that you actually set the lens at its smallest aperture possible (largest number), but as TheK says, it stay wide open till you depress the shutter button. The 50 1.4 is an older design than the newer AFS and G lens you two are used to using. Most of the AF lenses are like this.

Ahh I thought they were referring to the G lens also.

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Thanks Glen. So the 50/1.4 is old school - maybe I shouldn't get one since I have more to remember

Peter,
That's the way of the 50/1.4 and no other Nikon 50mm is G lens and most of the prime has two rings AP and Focus ring. Once you set it to the minimum and that's, never go back.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:11 pm

Peter, Birddy put it right, set it once and never touch again, then just use like a G series, plus it can also be used on bodies which don't support G series lenses. They need lenses which work on basic film cameras as well. Not so much old school rather no need for a redesign as there is not much you would want extra on this lens such as AFS or G
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:26 pm

Peter,
Go for the Noct :lol: :lol: or the Repro 85/1.0 :shock:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:37 pm

W00DY wrote:Ahh I thought they were referring to the G lens also.

The G series (includes the Kit lens) lenses have no aperture ring. They are effectively always stopped down to their minimum aperture, and thus there's no need (nor is there any way that you can) set this from the lens.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby theK on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:02 pm

Glen wrote:...One correction though is that you actually set the lens at its smallest aperture possible (largest number), ...

Thanks for the correction, Glen. I got things mixed up. :oops:
theK

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions