Low Light Situations

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Low Light Situations

Postby redpoppy on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:31 am

This is my very first post and I am a little nervous. A little background first - I just love visual images. I had owned an old Pentax Spotmatic for years. I loved it with a passion. Knew nothing about photography in any real sense but loved to take photographs and loved to play around with the lens. When it died a few years ago, I bought a digital P/S. However, got frustrated with the lack of control. Wanted a new SLR but wanted digital by this time. Researched and bought Nikon D70 a couple of months ago. Haunted this forum, practised, read everything in sight. Learning curve is very steep. However, I could feel that I was improving little by little.
I have a zillion questions! I have to start somewhere and I wanted some advice about low light conditions.
I went to my son's graduation a few nights ago very proudly, as you would imagine, all dressed up and D70 in hand. I was right at the back - obviously in the dark just with a lit stage. No flash allowed not that it would have helped with the distance. My photos were just awful. Blurred, too dark etc. What should I have done to get the best possible results. Kit lens 18mm-70mm. Sorry to be long winded. Felt I needed to introduce myself.

Redpoppy.
redpoppy

Postby Hlop on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am

Welcome redpoppy!

In situation like the one you've described you'll need "fast" lens. Something like 50 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.4. Also you can boost ISO but I won't recommend to set it for something more than 400-640
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:43 am

Welcome Redpoppy to the forum.

Your question has many answers - for example if possible get closer, use a monopod if a tripod cannot be used, use a higher iso, a different lens - for example a VR for low light shooting and the list goes on.

I know it’s too late now as the ceremony is over but what I have done in the past is simulate something that is coming up and practice different settings until I feel that I might be able to get what I want.

I know that I have not given a definitive answer to your question but it might help us if you could post a pic (does not matter how bad it is) so that we can give a more precise answer :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Paul on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:43 am

Welcome to the forum! :D
All I can recomend is to increase your iso to about 800 to 1600 which will let you choose a slower shutter speed therefore more light.
I assume you have selected the biggest aperture (F3.5) to allow the maximum light in?
If you also follow the focal length = shutter speed rule this should help as well with the blurred shots. (or buy a VR lens! :D)
Just my 2 cents worth, I'm sure there are more experienced guys here that may have better tips.
I agreee with you that with a flash going off it as hard to get the picture right as you pointed out, at that distance it would have given you a lot more problems.
Keep the questions coming, you'll always get great feedback here.
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:09 am

Redpoppy,

Welcome. I'm sure you miss the old Spotmatic; they were a very camera indeed, from the days when Pentax made real cameras.

I frequently shoot in similar conditions (dark bars) and it does take a bit of practise to get right. The others have pretty much summed things up: increase ISO to gain greater sensitivity at the sensor, use a faster lens, perhaps with VR, and use a monopod to help steady the cam.

I'll have Leigh's graduation at the end of May, but they've already said that cameras are permitted, but I don't know if flash is also permitted.

But I'll just take two lenses for this - the 24-120VR, and the 50 1.4. Between those lenses, I should be fine.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:42 am

gstark wrote:Redpoppy,

Welcome. I'm sure you miss the old Spotmatic; they were a very camera indeed, from the days when Pentax made real cameras.

I frequently shoot in similar conditions (dark bars) and it does take a bit of practise to get right. The others have pretty much summed things up: increase ISO to gain greater sensitivity at the sensor, use a faster lens, perhaps with VR, and use a monopod to help steady the cam.

I'll have Leigh's graduation at the end of May, but they've already said that cameras are permitted, but I don't know if flash is also permitted.

But I'll just take two lenses for this - the 24-120VR, and the 50 1.4. Between those lenses, I should be fine.

Gary,
Pick up my AI-S 58mm Noct and 50mm /f1.2 to play with the event. More welcome.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MHD on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:52 am

also, when shutter speed is marginal, take three pics... hold down the shutter...
that hedges your bet.
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:06 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Gary,
Pick up my AI-S 58mm Noct and 50mm /f1.2 to play with the event. More welcome.

That could be fun. Thanx; I just may well.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redpoppy on Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:18 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome (it wasn't as scary as i thought) and all the advice.
With regards to a 50mm f/1.4, I have had one on order now since the beginning of February and it hasn't arrived yet. I am looking forward to using it. Pity I didn't have it on graduation night.

Redpoppy
redpoppy

Postby birddog114 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:22 pm

redpoppy wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome (it wasn't as scary as i thought) and all the advice.
With regards to a 50mm f/1.4, I have had one on order now since the beginning of February and it hasn't arrived yet. I am looking forward to using it. Pity I didn't have it on graduation night.

Redpoppy

Order since Feb :shock: but not deliver yet :roll:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby lejazzcat on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:49 pm

welcome!
hmmm - fast glass, telephoto with VR=$$$$
The 50mm x 1.5 factor= 75mm not a bad portrait lens, BUT not a telephoto.(... from the back of a room). & F1.4 = shallow DOF

were you using a vari program or M ?

Best answer i can suggest- is use a tripod eevn if you think you look silly !
It beats being disappointed .
You can also push RAW a stop if you need a stop faster shutter speed...

Have fun RP.
So many ideas. So little time.

"The camera is much more than a recording apparatus, it is a medium via which messages reach us from another world, a world that is not ours and that brings us to the heart of a great secret" Orson Welles
lejazzcat

Postby boxerboy on Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi redpoppy - welcome to the forum. I'm at Jimboomba, so we're almost neighbours!

Have a look at the Brisbane/Gold Coast section; we're having a shoot at Lamington NP on Sunday week and you'd be most welcome to come along. Also, big pix is trying to arrange a mini meet involving flash demo's, etc - could be invaluable for low light shooting.

Cheers
Peter
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby kipper on Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:45 pm

BUT not a telephoto.(... from the back of a room). & F1.4 = shallow DOF

Not necessarily. It only tends to be shallow given the distance from subject to camera. Usually if the subject is quite close it can become quite shallow. At this distance it might be fine.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby lejazzcat on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:09 am

kipper wrote:
BUT not a telephoto.(... from the back of a room). & F1.4 = shallow DOF

Not necessarily. It only tends to be shallow given the distance from subject to camera. Usually if the subject is quite close it can become quite shallow. At this distance it might be fine.

Depth of sharp focus using a 75mm(50 x 1.5), at f2 at 5m distance =
(front 4.9m/back 5.12m)= 20cm +-5cm?

at 10m ( front 9.5m/ back 10.5m) ,
at 20m(18.4/22m).... better ,but why would you bother?

Sure, as you say not too bad as theres room to play on either side of this, and as it depends on so many factors its just a point of consideration...
The kit lens (80 x1.5 = 120mm) on a tripod, at f4.5/, also at 5 m,
will offer a depth of sharp focus of (front 4.8m/back 5.24m )
= 45 cm+- 5cm , a much more usable DOF, and a better composition IMHO.

Why does everyone always want to be handheld ? :roll: - the secret weapon of great photography has always been the bloody tripod. :wink:
If it isnt worth the hassle of taking legs, is it really that important a shot ?

"The camera is much more than a recording apparatus, it is a medium via which messages reach us from another world, a world that is not ours and that brings us to the heart of a great secret" Orson Welles
lejazzcat

Postby redpoppy on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:49 am

boxerboy wrote:Hi redpoppy - welcome to the forum. I'm at Jimboomba, so we're almost neighbours!

Have a look at the Brisbane/Gold Coast section; we're having a shoot at Lamington NP on Sunday week and you'd be most welcome to come along. Also, big pix is trying to arrange a mini meet involving flash demo's, etc - could be invaluable for low light shooting.

Cheers
Peter

Hello Peter, Thanks for the welcome. I would certainly be interested in attending local things. Couldn't make next weekend, though. Will watch out in Bris/GC section. Redpoppy
redpoppy

Postby dooda on Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:16 am

[quote="lejazzcat Why does everyone always want to be handheld ? :roll: - the secret weapon of great photography has always been the bloody tripod. :wink:
If it isnt worth the hassle of taking legs, is it really that important a shot ?[/quote]

I was sort of wondering what you meant by "carrying the beauty with us" in your signature, funny how I assumed it was inward beauty or existentialism or something...turns out you were refering to your tripod.

Of course I assume you mean when carrying legs is possible. I can come up with goguls of examples when it isn't worth carrying legs. Depends what type of photography it is. Your advice is well taken though, and sometimes I think that I should carry legs more often (I'm a little lazy).
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby lejazzcat on Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Its a mixture of things - my experience as a film photog and as a video cameraman. "Use a tripod!" You just waste film, or try watching wobbly cam without 'loosing your lunch' .

I know that journos need to be able to move quickly ,but thats no excuse to the rest of us. Take your time, wait for the perfect moment , or best light. After a while people, dont notice the legs anymore , and if you remote trigger you can be even more inconspicuous....

Emerson probably had his tripod with him at all times !- LOL

lejazzcat

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions