Fill flash using SB800

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Fill flash using SB800

Postby skylark on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Hi all, I've just joined but have been a very interested onlooker for a little while.

I am doing a uni assignment where we are required to shoot a portrait in sunlight using a Metz flash (very specific!) for fill. Due to access limitations to the Metz's, I'm wanting to use my SB800, but need to satisfy the assignment requirements - essentially using manual settings and stopping the flash down until the exposure looks right. I have made a couple of attempts but can't seem to get it right on the manual mode. I only seem to have success when I stop it down in TTL mode or stop the exposure down, but i dont think this fulfils the brief.

If anybody could give some tips I'd be very grateful!
skylark

Postby Matt. K on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:26 pm

Simple
Take a light reading of your subject and set your camera. Be sure the shutter speed is not higher then the synch speed for that paricular camera. Now...if the f/stop is 5.6 then set f/4 on the gun. If the f/stop is f/8 then fet f/5.6 on the gun. If the f/stop is f/11 then set f/8 on the gun. Etc etc. Set the guns f/stop to 1 stop larger then that set on the camera. Not a bad idea to take a few pics with the f/stop set to 2 stops larger on the gun as a form of insurence or bracketing. Hollar if you want more info and good luck.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Onyx on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:03 pm

G'day skylark welcome to the forums. This assignment wouldn't happen to be UoQ photograsphy degree one would it?
Onyx

Postby Matt. K on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:25 pm

Onyx
You grow more beautiful everyday. 8) 8) 8)
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby skylark on Sun May 01, 2005 12:51 pm

Thanks for the tip Matt K. I'm mostly having difficulty with the functioning of the SB800, I stop it down but with very little noticeable effect. It seems to have a mind of its own! So are you saying set the flash on manual mode and stop it down? Or would it be better in TTL mode? Will try again today anyway, and see how I go.

Very close Onyx, I'm doing my degree at Queensland College of Art...have just started. It's great...very challenging!
skylark

Postby big pix on Sun May 01, 2005 2:08 pm

Also set your guide number or iso on the flash to match the camera iso

cheers

bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun May 01, 2005 4:14 pm

skylark wrote:Thanks for the tip Matt K. I'm mostly having difficulty with the functioning of the SB800, I stop it down but with very little noticeable effect. It seems to have a mind of its own! So are you saying set the flash on manual mode and stop it down? Or would it be better in TTL mode? Will try again today anyway, and see how I go.

It's better to stop down in manual mode. If you keep the camera in TTL, then the camera and the flash decide the settings for you, and it's easy to have the camera working against the flash settings you have chosen.
If you have a hand-held light meter, you can use that to make sure you have the right camera settings.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby redline on Sun May 01, 2005 4:26 pm

correct me if iam wrong but you should be able to dial down the iso on you flash to be 1 or 2 stops less than you expourse.

have a look at this
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/821200311318.pdf
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby PiroStitch on Sun May 01, 2005 6:23 pm

Great thread!! :D

I tried to do what Matt K suggested, but I had it backwards, and photos still turned out fine :D The photos had a nice warm ambient atmosphere and using the fill flash lighten up the foreground created a nice balanced photo :) Thanks Matt.
PiroStitch

Postby Matt. K on Sun May 01, 2005 8:37 pm

You had it backwards? Got me confused there...can you be more specific?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby PiroStitch on Sun May 01, 2005 10:50 pm

Now...if the f/stop is 5.6 then set f/4 on the gun

I had a larger f/stop on the gun than on the camera (ie. f5 on the camera and f5.6) :) So I remembered it backwards.

Lol, no I didn't have the falsh on backwards to blind myself each time I took the photo :)
PiroStitch

Postby Matt. K on Mon May 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Backwards is OK for self portraits. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby tsanglabs on Mon May 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks for the link redline, very helpfull.
tsanglabs

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions