Photoshop Question

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photoshop Question

Postby Nikkofan on Sat May 14, 2005 11:36 pm

Here's a recent photo I took of this emu who didn't look amused at having "jailbird" status :)

I've been playing around with it in PSCS, but can't seem to do much with it, except make his (her?) eyes a more vivid red - they were already pretty red to begin with but I was trying to emphasize the evil look he/she was giving passersby! I don't think this little birdie was having a good day!

With sincere apologies to Matt K, who kindly demonstrated his PSCS skills to some of us this morning, I can't remember how to bring out particular aspects of the photo or, as you called it Matt, how to "pop" the subject out. I'd like to emphasize the head of the bird, but can't remember how. :oops:

If anyone would like to play with this image, I'd love to see how or what you would do with it in PSCS, if anyone is so inclined to do so.

Thanks and again, Matt K, if you're reading this, sorry I've forgotten so soon!! I should have practiced as soon as I got home, but now it's slid out of the memory a bit :cry: Sorry ....
Nikkofan

Postby marcus on Sun May 15, 2005 12:00 am

How about this?

I know nutzinc
marcus

Postby Nikkofan on Sun May 15, 2005 12:03 am

Marcus

Is this just from adjusting the brightness/contrast image or what did you do with it?
Nikkofan

Postby sirhc55 on Sun May 15, 2005 12:07 am

Or - curves adjustment + USM. New image desaturate copy onto colour image. Use eraser on eyes and hey presto:

Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby marcus on Sun May 15, 2005 12:18 am

Slight USM, then shadow/highlight adjustment, then yes brightness contras /adjustment. The main fix tool would be the PSCS shadow/highlight tool.
I know nutzinc
marcus

Postby SoCal Steve on Sun May 15, 2005 7:07 am

Here's my play with it. That was fun!

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
SoCal Steve

Postby Nikkofan on Sun May 15, 2005 8:52 am

Thanks guys, your photos are much more like what I was trying to achieve and thanks for the instructions along the way!
Nikkofan

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions