Wiki

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Wiki

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:05 pm

We've had very little comment, and even less input from the general membership, on our photography wiki.

Your comments and input are sought.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi Gary
would you be able to explain how this works and what we are/aren't allowed to do ?

Please excuse my ignorance..... :oops:

If the answers to this are already posted somewhere, could you point me/us in the right direction :wink:

Looks like a great concept though.....
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:28 pm

Wiki is what I called a certain part of my anatomy when I was younger - what it means now and how to use it is a total mystery to me :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby big pix on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:30 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Wiki is what I called a certain part of my anatomy when I was younger - what it means now and how to use it is a total mystery to me :D

explains a lot......... now
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:32 pm

big pix wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:Wiki is what I called a certain part of my anatomy when I was younger - what it means now and how to use it is a total mystery to me :D

explains a lot......... now

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby leek on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:44 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:Hi Gary
would you be able to explain how this works and what we are/aren't allowed to do ?

Please excuse my ignorance..... :oops:

If the answers to this are already posted somewhere, could you point me/us in the right direction :wink:

Looks like a great concept though.....

The basic introduction and rules for the Wiki are here...

Basically what we're trying to do is to tap into the collective knowledge of the DSLRUsers members to compile a thorough guide to digital photography... We've set up the basic framework and put some content there, but there is a lot of room for improvement and there are a lot of gaps.... That's where you the members come in... add some articles, improve others, create a whole new section if you have the energy...

I think that this would be a great place to deposit some of the more factual posts that have appeared in this forum... If you see one, add it...

The more contributors the merrier - many hands make light work... Don't worry about making a mistake - someone will be along soon to correct it, improve it...

Any of the admins or moderators can grant you access and I think I can too...
Last edited by leek on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby krpolak on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:45 pm

What is the point of Wiki?

Statement says: The topics we're discussing will encompass the many and diverse areas that photography embraces, including Equipment, Photographic Techniques, Post Processing Techniques and Terminology.

All that can be done on dslrusers.

Regards,

K.Polak
krpolak

Postby leek on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:49 pm

krpolak wrote:What is the point of Wiki?

Statement says: The topics we're discussing will encompass the many and diverse areas that photography embraces, including Equipment, Photographic Techniques, Post Processing Techniques and Terminology.

All that can be done on dslrusers.

Regards,

K.Polak

It was meant to be a place where we could store factual information, some of which would originate from forum posts. I think it'll be a valuable resource for beginners or those too afraid to ask... The Wiki is not a place to discuss things - its an encyclopedia... I'll go & correct that page right now... :-)
Cheers, John

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:57 pm

a-ha...thanks for the quick run through Leek.

Can DSLR Users get any better ?? Of all the places in the world to find such a magnificent group of like-minded people...it had to be in the land of OZ !

We should all be very proud...especially you Mr Stark !

If I feel I can contribute to Wiki, I will be sure to ask for a login :D
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby thaddeus on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:59 pm

The reasons I have not participated are:
- The number of rules. I manage one and participate in a number of wikis and I have not come across one with this number of up-front rules. I approached the wiki in a collaborative mood, but after reading talk of banning users, keeping opinions out of it, etc, I thought that it didn't sound very inviting
- The requirement to have 200 meaningful posts. I only have 150 posts and some would attest only a tiny proportion of those are meaningful!
- I recently made some suggestions about URL architecture of the site (ie use a consistent URL) and but was told that there was no major problem, so I really wasn't all that bothered to provide input on the wiki itself

I am happy to participate if I am wanted

Some other points now that you ask:
- It can be set up with a lot nicer URL than index.php?title=articlename. One popular format is wiki/articlename as on wikipedia. It's just a simple change in the config and makes for much smaller URLs which means they go in emails and forum postings very cleanly
- The rule saying "If you intend to completely replace or significantly edit sections, then it would be courteous to discuss the proposed changes with the original author(s) of the page and other people in the Wiki section of the forum" is different to most wikis on the net. Most wikis discuss this type of think in the "talk" section of the wiki which attaches to the page rather than a completely separate forum thread
thaddeus

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:13 pm

thaddeus wrote:The reasons I have not participated are:
- The number of rules. I manage one and participate in a number of wikis and I have not come across one with this number of up-front rules. I approached the wiki in a collaborative mood, but after reading talk of banning users, keeping opinions out of it, etc, I thought that it didn't sound very inviting

Good.

Seriously.

We want this to be factual, not opinionated.

Consequently, access is only granted on a request basis, and will only be granted to those whom it is felt - by their history of contributions here - will have something valuable to contribute. As always, the post count is merely a guide.

If you don't appreciate that, then I'm sorry, but that's how it's going to be.

And if you disagree that those who might choose to deface this should not be warned that they may be banned, then I'm sorry.

But I do not see that as a lot of rules. Yes, it's more than most wikis in that we're protecting our resource, but given that most wikis are open slather, I see this - just two rules, really - as a good thing.

As to the Talk section, we have the forums for that; this is not a replacement for the forums; again, ithe Wiki is to be a factual point of reference, and as such it's a very different place.

Regarding the rest of your post - the Wiki is still in its very early stages, and Leigh will be doing a graphical makeover of the site in due course. Because of the fact that most topics are linked to one another, I'm not seeing your point about using shorter URLs. Just click the link; entering the URL is, I suspect, a superfluous act.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:46 pm

A couple of thoughts on this initiative...

Firstly I think that a wiki could become a valuable addition, being a good place to house our collective knowledge on all things photographic. It's growth would be best slow and steady so we don't simply cram it full of information of dubious interest. With this in mind I'm not sure that we should be trying to create a whole dictionary of terms etc... surely there's plenty of that info elsewhere??? On the other hand I believe that we must have a wealth of info in the forum that would be far easier found in another more searchable form (such as the wiki).

Good work Gary... given time to sort out a few issues, and get folk comfortable with playing with wikis (especially Chris!!!)... I think this could be very useful.
Mj

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:02 pm

Mj wrote:Good work Gary... given time to sort out a few issues, and get folk comfortable with playing with wikis (especially Chris!!!)... I think this could be very useful.

Michael,

My reading of Chris's post was that he is very comnforatble with his wiki. :)

But yes, your comments are quite right; slow is better, which is another reason to keep the number of participants somewhat under control
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:40 pm

I agree with others that the Wiki will be a valuable resource. It should be allowed to grow at a manageable rate that ensures it doesn't become a cumbersome white elephant and, to this end, I have no problem with the current level of regulation and restriction, nor any future constraints that Gary or the members feel are necessary.

As far as contributions and content are concerned, I know we have a wealth of expert knowledge here that could be well captured in this very accessible method and I'm really looking forward to its growth.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby olrac on Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:59 pm

Gary,

When i click on a link where there is no text I get an error that says I dont have rights to edit.....

I am sure it is just a teething problem.... BTW Wiki is a great idea and I am sure that with the wealth of knowledge of the people in this forum we will have a fantastic resource
olrac

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:04 pm

No, Carlo, that's by design.

Apart from reading Thaddeus's post and my response to him earlier in this thread, please look here, and then also please review the rules (accessible from the post you'll be seeing) that we have in place.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby olrac on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:17 pm

I didnt want to edit them I just wanted to read them...

When the topic contains no info it gives me that error message it just seems strange.

Unusaually I dont have a problem with the rules.....
olrac

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:22 pm

olrac wrote:I didnt want to edit them I just wanted to read them...

In that case it's telling you that the page you've hit hasn't yet been started. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby olrac on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:28 pm

What is funny is that I was looking at the camera page that is supposed to be decribing the nikon d70s.

Of all the things in the wiki i was sure that would have info in it....
olrac

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:32 pm

There's nobody here qualified to write that page. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:46 pm

I find the wiki defies all attempts to even get started. Even creating a new account seems to be beyond the ken of ordinary mortals, because the prompts appear to have some sort of circular logic where you end up where you started. :evil:

Bah! Humbug! :twisted:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby leek on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:55 pm

cricketfan wrote:I find the wiki defies all attempts to even get started. Even creating a new account seems to be beyond the ken of ordinary mortals, because the prompts appear to have some sort of circular logic where you end up where you started. :evil:

Bah! Humbug! :twisted:

Trevor...

Unlike some other wikis, you cannot create your own account. You will need to send one of the Admins, Moderators or me a PM and we'll create an account for you and advise you of the password... Give it another go... We'd welcome your knowledge...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:55 pm

Creating a new account has been purposely disabled, because we can't otherwise control who has access to create content.

Please send me or one of the other mods or admins a PM (as already noted in this thread and in the rules) and we'll create your account for youy.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:02 pm

gstark wrote:Creating a new account has been purposely disabled, because we can't otherwise control who has access to create content.

Please send me or one of the other mods or admins a PM (as already noted in this thread and in the rules) and we'll create your account for youy.

Already done... Trevor, see your PM
Cheers, John

leek

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:26 am

At present I feel like I'm in the very early learning stages, as I result I don't think I have a lot to offer the wiki, well not yet anways. On the flipside I think I could get a lot out of it, as a useful learning resource.
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:49 am

Alpha_7 wrote:At present I feel like I'm in the very early learning stages, as I result I don't think I have a lot to offer the wiki, well not yet anways. On the flipside I think I could get a lot out of it, as a useful learning resource.

And that would be a desirable outcome.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mic on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:37 pm

Hmmmm my Wiki of Inversions :lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhhhh how others will benefit :roll:

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:57 pm

Will the Gung-Ho Inverter join the Enchanted Wiki Room?! :lol:
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to Announcements