Go safely

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Go safely

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:08 am

Easter is upon us, and on behalf of the team here, I wish everybody a safe and healthy Easter.

And full moon.

With the combination of those two elements, the roads are guaranteed to be hell for the next few days, so please take extra caution in all that you do.

A couple of reminders: if you're wanting to attend PIW at Sydney's Darling Harbour, please visit the PIW website and book your free passage into the exhibition centre.

And if you're coming on the Saturday, remember that we're having a minimeet on the Saturday at Darling Harbour, commencing at 3, followed by a feast in Chinatown. Please use the appropriate booking form to let us know of your proposed attendance.

In conjunction with PIW, I hope to have a list of questions (and objections to their answers) prepared for the staff on the Maxwell's stand over the next few days.

Have I forgotten anything? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wendellt on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:11 am

hi gary is this PIY this weeked?
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Raskill on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:11 am

Yes folks, don't forget double demerit points! Some of my comrades enjoy this time of year a little to much..... :roll:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm

wendellt wrote:hi gary is this PIY this weeked?

Uhh... no.

You might want want to check the calendar on the front page.

It says "29 Apr 2006 - Photo Imaging World, Minimeet, Darling Harbour"

:)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby radar on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:04 pm

That's PIW, Photo Imaging World on April 29th, not sure when PIY is on ;)

cheers

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:28 pm

radar wrote:

That's PIW, Photo Imaging World on April 29th, not sure when PIY is on ;)

cheers

André

Dare I say it?

Dare I say it ????

:) :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Some driving tips for not only this weekend but always:

If a trip is going to take you and hour, see if you can stuff around at home enough to only leave yourself 45 minutes to make it. That way you can put your foot down all the way and be justified in abusing those other road users who gave themselves plenty of travelling time and, as such, are now slowing you down. Thankfully, the ambulance you may soon be riding in will have a much easier path around those same drivers.

Make it a habit to accellerate and close up any gap whenever you see an indicator from a car in the lane beside you. The concept of being courteous and respectful of other road users, aloowing them in front of you, will only serve to make you even later for that vital appointment for which you didn't leave yourself enough time to get to.

If you find yourself in stop-start traffic and you have a large van or 4WD, make sure you position yourself hard over to the right side of your lane. A clear view of the road ahead will only frighten the drivers of the smaller cars behind you.

Always hog the right hand lane, especially if you car is only capable of doing 40km/hr. You'll meet lots of interesting people who will attempt to converse with you and demonstrate many gestures.

If your vehicle is fitted with driving lights or fog lights, ensure they are always on. They should, however, be extinguished at the first sign of rain or fog so as not to wear them out though their use on clear, fine nights is to be encouraged. Dazzling oncoming drivers to the point of blindness is an excellent way of alerting them to your presence but their ability to avoid you, or any other object in their path fro that matter, may now be severely impaired. This is not your concern - they should be wearing protective eyewear.

Park wherever you like. Handicapped zones, no stopping zones, across driveways, in single lane roadways, across two bays at the shopping centre, etc etc. Don't concern yourself with the effect your action may have on other members of society because they will understand that "it's all about you'. Be aware however that such action may draw unwanted attention to your vehicle and that body, tyre or mirror damage may occur while the car is left unattended. The good news is that such damage should blend in with other marks, scratches and dents on your vehicle, mostly caused by your poor parking technique and inability to open a door without striking the vehicle beside you.

By far the most important driving tip is the one most often forgotten, as it's something you do without even thinking about it. Make sure your children see and experience the full gamut of your driving techniques. That way, they can look forward to emulating them in the future and, hopefully, be rewarded with a lovely amubulance ride of their own.
Last edited by Manta on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Raskill on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:07 pm

Jaysus, I thought I was cynical.... :shock:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

Raskill

Postby Manta on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Raskill wrote:Jaysus, I thought I was cynical.... :shock:

Sorry Raskill. I'm just heartily sick of the selfishness that seems to be handed out with licences these days. The diminishing number of you guys out on the streets has only made matters worse and our governments should should be throwing much more money at you. They certainly collect enough from their ridiculous speed cameras.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
Manta

Postby CraigVTR on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Manta
I see you love Queensland drivers too. :roll: :roll: :)
Craig
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Manta on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:20 pm

CraigVTR wrote:Manta
I see you love Queensland drivers too. :roll: :roll: :)
Craig

We've certainly got our share of them here. A lot of bike riders aren't much better, I'm afraid. The practices of threading the needle (overtaking between two cars at highway speeds) or riding at full pelt up the left hand shoulder can make one very dead. I'm sure though Craig, you are a very responsible rider.
Simon
Manta

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:26 pm

I had to give up driving nearly 3 years ago and boy do I feel more relaxed these days.

Having a bright yellow SLK230 left me open for every abuse you can imagine but in particular people in a certain type of car with bull bars trying to hit me.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Manta on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 pm

sirhc55 wrote:I had to give up driving nearly 3 years ago and boy do I feel more relaxed these days.

Having a bright yellow SLK230 left me open for every abuse you can imagine but in particular people in a certain type of car with bull bars trying to hit me.

Chris,
These days, not being in the driver's seat can certainly have its positive aspects. I know you miss the car but I bet you don't miss the agro.
Simon
Manta

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Yes, please drive safely everybody. And, as Gary hinted, watch out for the lunar-tics too.

Just today I was passed in a 70kph zone by a rusty Hyundai driven by a female who loked about 16 - and she was keying a text message into her mobile! I was doing 70, God knows what speed she was doing.

And no disrespect to the manufacturer, but the car she was driving looked like it would've needed maximum attention from Marke Skaife just to keep it on the road.

It's scary out there!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Sheila Smart on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:51 pm

My husband was rather gobsmacked awhile back as he was following a young woman who, strangely enough, was not on her mobile but she was emptying the last of her bowl of cornflakes into her mouth while driving (albeit erratically) down Pittwater Road at 70 clicks.

And where are the cops? They are on the old Pacific Highway at Mt White nabbing motorcyclists who are doing 70 ks in a 60 k limit :(

Speed kills but stupidity kills more!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby xerubus on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:02 pm

have a great easter all...

and as stated above... please be careful on the roads. i'm on call all weekend and really don't want to have to take picks of someone i may know.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:17 pm

Ditto everyone - I think so much of everyone here, I would really prefer they were all still here after easter.

Have fun, eat lots of eggs and enjoy :) ;)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Oneputt on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:48 pm

Rel if you don't change that byline of yours I'm gonna....................................................well you know what I mean :wink:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:51 pm

But I am still taking lots of shitty shots - I occassionally get a good one, and that's the one you see :) ;)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Oneputt on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 pm

We all take lots of shitty shots....that is the beauty of digital...you keep shooting until you get it right. So remove it....OK?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:26 pm

I might go for a drive to cunninghams gap, other then that Im not doing anything :(
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby Killakoala on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Within 2 minutes of pulling out of my work carpark this arvo (thurs), i was breathalysed at a breath testing station. (Tested OK :) )

so,

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Raskill on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:07 am

Sensible deployment of resources.....

Wait off the Navy, they'd be having their coffee and rum... :lol:

Raskill

Postby TonyH on Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:16 am

Off to the Gold Coast for a few days.

Everyone drive and act safely please......

Enjoy the Easter break and the time with your families and loved ones.

For the guys who have to work...... THANK YOU :D

I might even be able to take a half decent shot this Easter.... that'd be a first!!

Tony
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Return to Announcements