Milestones

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Milestones

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:44 am

And stuff!

Chimp!

As many of of you have seen, and enjoyed, we have now published the fist issue of Chimp, the DSLRUsers' magazine. This is free for all to enjoy, and if you have not yet done so, please download your copy.

Hi Res Version (26 Mb)

Low Res Version (5 Mb)

Pocket PC Version (2 Mb)

This, of course, is a significant milestone in the development of this site, and it provides an opportunity for your work to be displayed beyond the boundaries of this forum. If you have ideas for content, or if you wish to contribute, please don't hesitate to contact Leigh or myself.

Leigh's edit: If you wish to contribute for the next issue, send a PM my way with your idea as we now have a deadline for the next issue!

A second significant milestone will be achieved sometime today (probably early this afternoon, I expect). [edit: This actually occurred a bit before 11 am this morning.]

We will hit 250000 posts! That's a quarter of a million posts!

Most of them have been meaningful, helpful, and/or contained some images that you have created. And the images have not just been images. There have been some true masterpieces.

That is one hell of an act, and congratulations to all of you are deserved for this wonderful achievement.

Sydney Christmas Dinner

November 25, In Restaurant, Neutral Bay.

This will be a great night, with some fun things planned for the evening, including, hopefully, some element of participation by Poon. I'm not yet sure of how this will manifest itself, but the wheels are most certainly in motion. We have the restaurant to ourselves, but it's a fairly smallish place, and so bookings are limited, and places are filling fast.

So ....

You need to get your booking form completed, and your payment made, ASAP. Otherwise, you won't be there, and you'll miss out.

For those interstate members who might be considering attending, we are able to arrange some great accommodation for you, near the harbour: a real Sydney treat. As bit of a guide, the accommodation normally rents for around the $200 mark, but we're looking at something in the low $100 range. 200 metres from the Harbour Bridge and Luna Park and 150 metres from Milsons Point Station (next stop - downtown Sydney).

Contact Glen or myself for more details of this. With inexpensive airfares, great accommodation, and our Christmas dinner, how could you not be involved?

Challenge 11 - Bubbles

It's been rather busy around here of late, hasn't it?

We've had the portrait workshop which has turned in some truly great work, the cemetary walk, and of course all of the great work that people focused on getting togther for the Fred Hollows Foundation.

And we think that this may have distracted your view of Bubbles. No, not the stripper, our current challenge! :)

So, we have decided to extend the dates for the closing of entries for this challenge.

Entries close and voting opens on the 2/10

Voting closes, and the winner will be announced on 9/10

We would like to see entries from ALL eligable members! Please remember that these challengess are designed to help you grow as a photographer and act as a showcase of the great work of the members of this community. It's in your best interests that you do not miss out, and so please, make the effort and get your entry in.

And for those unsure as to whether their image adheres to the theme (any image way off the mark will be disqualified) please send Scott (MHD) am PM to request a spot ruling. You should do this no later than this Friday, September 29.

Go forth and make bubbles!

Traders

We have heard that some members have been experiencing some issues with respect to getting prompt delivery of orders from suppliers who have been mentioned in these forums. I cannot emphasise too strongly that you need to exercise caution in any dealings that you undertake, and also with respect to any recommendations that you might be inclined to make. I would strongly caution everyone to check the currency of any information that they might have regarding any trader with whom they may be dealing, and if you have any questions, please PM any of our mods; they are pretty well appraised of what is going on and will be happy to offer any guidance.

Also, if you think you are experiencing any issues, such as extended or unreasonable delivery times on products that you may have ordered, again please let one of the mods know.

Finally, I can assure you all that orders placed through this site's current ordering facilities are placed directly with Poon, and that we have yet to hear any complaints from any person dealing directly with Poon. The new system seems to be working very effectively, with most orders being fulfilled within days of placement. That said, I welcome any questions and/or suggestions that members may have regarding the ordering processes here: the last thing I want is for a member to have any of their hard earned dollars placed at risk.
Last edited by gstark on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:06 am

Congratulations Gary
A remarkable achievement and a big boost for photography and photographers in Australia! I gotta say I also love the extended posts list down the right hand side. It helps me keep up when I am too busy to pop in every day. It's the small refinements that make the engine run sweet!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Geoff on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:25 am

Fantastic work Gary, Leigh and EVERYONE who contributes to this forum to make it what it is. I for one know I'm addicted and will happily confess of this addiction - as far as addictions go this is a fairly healthy one :)

Here's to another 1/4 million posts!! :D
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Geoff
I know what you are thinking! But I'm going to sit by my computer day and night to make sure I'm the one who makes that magic millionth post! :D :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Willy wombat on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:43 pm

Quarter of a mill!!!

Well done guys. :shock:

Im logging in from Thursday Island in the Torres Strait right now. Needed a quick DSLR photography fix. Had quite an interesting trip so far, looking forward to sharing some of my shots when i get back to the mainland.

Cheers
WW
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby Geoff on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:41 pm

Matt. K wrote:Geoff
I know what you are thinking! But I'm going to sit by my computer day and night to make sure I'm the one who makes that magic millionth post! :D :D :D :D

Matt K you are, officially psychic! :)
:twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D
Last edited by Geoff on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:21 pm

Im hitting my first 1000th soon enough :)

One more step closer now :P
Yi-P

Return to Announcements