Happy New Year

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Happy New Year

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:27 am

It's the Year of The Pig. And Poon will be taking a one week break, to enjoy the festivities, and spend time with his family, some of whom will be travelling long distances to share this festive time.

So please be patient if your order with Poon is affected by this as well.

Wordplay contines ... the original announcement:

Right! I've got the details for the first challenge of the new year.

This one should make you think a bit since photography is not just about framing something up in the viewfinder, but having a thought process too (most of the time).

So, without further... whatever it is... the theme is...

Wordplay: There must be a clearly identifiable word somewhere in the image and there must be a connection between it and the image. The word must be one that would be understood by the majority of forum members.

I'd prefer not to have people discuss in specifics what the theme is. It's not a very hard one and I'd prefer people not to feel like they're limited to various ideas.

The Gallery is open:
http://www.potofgrass.com/gallery/c13

And regarding the Crema Challenge: Ashley and I are both quite disappointed at the quantity and standard of the entries, and we'd like to understand why. Why did you not enter this? Was the timing - January - bad? Did you not have enough time? Was the subject problematic?

At this stage, we need to try to understand what went wrong; we're not yet burying this concept completely, but we're certainly both of the opinion that not one of the entries met the basic requirements that the images needed to be of a suitable commercial standard. That is really very surprising, given the outstanding quality of the images that we otherwise see here.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:55 am

And regarding the Crema Challenge: Ashley and I are both quite disappointed at the quantity and standard of the entries, and we'd like to understand why. Why did you not enter this? Was the timing - January - bad? Did you not have enough time? Was the subject problematic?

At this stage, we need to try to understand what went wrong; we're not yet burying this concept completely, but we're certainly both of the opinion that not one of the entries met the basic requirements that the images needed to be of a suitable commercial standard. That is really very surprising, given the outstanding quality of the images that we otherwise see here.

I was disappointed with the entries too, and two of them came from this household. I originally didn't have many good ideas of this challenge, but I like to try to enter them all if I get a chance. Anyways It came down to not having the time to get to a decent coffee place and then having to settle for the best we could find. That said both of our entries were probably too tongue in cheek, and certainly not what a magazine would like to display, so I guess they failed before they even got started.

I'm amazed with so many coffee drinkers here we didn't get atleast more entries.
Alpha_7

Postby Oscar on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:40 am

Timing of the Crema challenge and also the current wordplay challenge have not been so good for me.

As one who rarely visits a coffee establishment (yes I am a tea drinker) and also having lots of other things happening in the last month or so I was unable to come up with an idea for the Crema challenge. I would be interested to try should this sort of challenge come up at a later date.

I have also had little time to sort out anything for the wordplay challenge - my apologies. I am off on a break for a week from tonight and should return refreshed and ready to get involved again.

Keep up the good work all.

Cheers, Mick :) :) :)
Oscar

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:08 am

My take on the Crema challenge was that it suited the semi-professional to professional photographer. The setup for an indoor cafe environment shot to be used in a professional magazine goes a little beyond the snapshot situation. That is not to say that an off-the-cuff shot would not work, but it would have to be extremely good.

I believe also that a fair proportion of members would be inclined not to whip out their cameras inside a coffee shop due to it being private property. Permission could be obtained to shoot but in doing that you lose the spontaneity of the shot.

A staged, well lit and cooperative staff would or could produce a magazine quality shot.

Besides, I was too busy :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:14 am

I'm glad you've asked the question Gary.

I feel that there were a combination of potential reasons that this didn't pickup many entries, these are;

1. Time of year. People are away/busy with relatives/recovering from a crazy Christmas period.

2. What Chris suggested, aimed more at a professional setup.

3. Approaching a coffee shop and trying to setup the 'right' shot could be perceived as a little confrontational.

I'm sorry I didn't get an entry in, time (or lack there of) was a major reason I didn't get one in. I had a few ideas floating around in my head but they never eventuated.

Hope this helps.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:25 am

My reasons include those echoed here (namely timing), but also (and somewhat linked to timing), was that I did not have a local coffee shop that I would want to photograph that I was comfortable with (basically meaning the coffee was ordinary) that may have ended up printed in a magazine.

I had an idea in mind for one coffee shop but I didn't get a chance to go there, and, probably more relevant and as Chris said, would have required set up and permission (in opposite order) which may not have been easy to get.

What really threw me was the requirement for it to be in a commercial setting. However, if they're the rules of the comp then so be it and it is up to me to work around the rules.

Cheers

P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:44 am

I was going to enter, but I usually get last place and I needed someone to come to a coffee shop with me.

And Geoff bailed on me to get a lens!!!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Geoff on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:47 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I was going to enter, but I usually get last place and I needed someone to come to a coffee shop with me.

That's right Leigh, blame me :)

You never mentioned that you wanted to get your shot to me that day! :wink: :lol:
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Yi-P on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:56 am

I didnt have my camera with me by those times. Loaned it to a friend who was going on holidays, and me being too busy as well :?
Yi-P

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:26 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I was going to enter, but I usually get last place and I needed someone to come to a coffee shop with me.

You didn't enter, damn I swore black and blue that the needle shot was yours Leigh, gave it a 94% chance, I'm shocked.. and intrigued, so it really felt like a Leigh Stark shot all over, no offence to the photographer whoever they maybe.
Alpha_7

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:31 am

Nup, and while the shot was interesting, it wasn't for this comp, whoever did it.

Target medium is being printed in a magazine. Real print, people.

Make it not be artistic or pseudo-artistic hoping to pray on that underlying meaning...

It's gotta be something you'd have liked to have seen in print yourself.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:38 am

Kind of off topic with the Crema Challenge theme this post has had (no I didn't have any ideas that I would have felt worthy of print during the time of the comp).

Does the (well deserved) new year break mean that any orders in this next week won't be processed, or will be but delayed?

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Orders submitted from today for the next week will be delayed.

I'm still awaiting a response from Poon on my query to him for your order, but this week has been a very hectic week for me too. I will try to follow him up again later this evening for you.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:54 pm

My models were busy :) I think they were 'getting it on.'
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby adam on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 am

Happy new year to you all!!!!!!!!! :D

I've come to Melbourne to Celebrate... horhorhor :D
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Manta on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Two reasons why I didn't enter the Crema challenge:

1. A few minor upheavals in life, work and therefore hobbies has seen me become something of a recluse lately. The creative juices are far from flowing and those who know me know I've usually got some kind of different slant on shots I enter into these sort of comps so 'no idea = no entry'; I'm not going to just lob one in for the sake of it.

2. I don't take good enough photos!!!

I am, however, actively pursuing solutions to the first problem which, hopefully, will help improve the second. I've just gotta get out more!!

:D
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Steffen on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:10 am

Alright, here are my reasons.

First of all, coffee isn't the most inspiring subject for me, tea or wine get a lot more cogs going in my mind...

Secondly, I wasn't sure how to interpret the "to be shot in a commercial setting" requirement. My worst guess was that this meant "to be shot in a commercial setting". I wasn't up to that.

But, don't fret, I probably wouldn't have bettered the submissions you've got... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Willy wombat on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:41 pm

I tried taking shots for the challenge but was so dissapointed with the quality of the end results that i didnt submit any (self critique). I found that it was very difficult to show a "relationship" between a person and the coffee.

It was also difficult because i felt uncomfortable shooting people in the shops, and my set up and composition was strangled due to these feelings. :oops: Stupid i know.

Timing of the competitions is fine (one month is plenty of time) but sometimes i need motivation, and regular reminding (hype) would probably also help.
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:59 pm

I found my lack of models, or unwillingness to invaded other peoples coffee time, lead to me using myself and Katie and she using me, this greatly limited our options of shots, as we had to remain anonymous.
Alpha_7

Postby Mal on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:14 pm

I must admit I was rather shocked to see the low number of entries, when compared to other competitions.

For me it was just a timing issue. I loved the whole idea and was keen to enter but being in holiday mode just prevented me getting out to shoot. BTW I would love to have this one again.
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby radar on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Re: Crema Challenge.

I did manage to get an entry in. However, not the one I was hoping. I just ran out of time as I was getting ready for going on holidays and I have been away all of February.

As Chris said, the challenge probably called for a "pro" setup and for me, I ran out time. For my idea for the challenge, I needed to organise permission with the Cafe, a model (friend), some lighting, etc. I'm looking forward to the challenge being re-issued for Crema :-)

Re: New Year

A belated Happy New Year, just got back from holidays.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Announcements