It's all starting to happen!

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

It's all starting to happen!

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:25 pm

[url=http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?p=303340#303340]
Challenge 16 - Song Titles
[/url]TIME TO VOTE!

Go to The challenge site to vote in C 16. Very few entries... But very very high quality. Please avoid discussing individual entries on the forums...

And Poon has just told me what the first prize will be. :)

How about a studio lighting kit? 2 150Ws studio flash heads, 2 stands, 2 soft boxes, 2 brollies, a radio trigger and 2 receivers, and a carry bag to keep the whole lot in.

This is a new item he's just starting to carry (some will recall the discussion on these from a few weeks ago) and it's so new, he cannot even tell me what the price will be, because he doesn't yet know the shipping cost to Oz. I do know what the ex-HK price is though, and if the shipping costs can be kept reasonable ..... you're all going to be wanting one of these.

These have just arrived in HK, and I should have a set or two by the end of this week. The price, shipped, will be Au$350.

Timesnap #2 is this coming Saturday, July 14 - Bastille Day. 50mm primes (or thereabouts) only, please. Croissants at 20 paces, and all bagels to be returned to their full, upright position. :)

The Timesnap Gallery is here.

And our Anniversary Weekend is just a few weeks away. There's still room for a couple more to book for our Saturday night dinner, where I'll have the lighting system mentioned above set up for y'all to look at and play with.

And there's lots more on the agenda too:

Ferry hop, portraiture workshop, recovery picnic and swapmeet ... please check the calendar to your left for details and links; dinner bookings here, noting that bookings are only confirmed after your payment has been made.
Last edited by gstark on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:20 pm

So where do we post our 50mm shots :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:29 pm

That would be telling ....

Which I'll do tomorrow night. :)

I think Scott's given me the link ... :oops:
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:26 am

Sweet!!!
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Manta on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:28 pm

What an awesome prize and a great challenge too. The subject matter is so narrow.... :shock:

I'd be interested in hearing Poon's price for this kit when he gets his figures sorted out. Sounds like something I've been wanting to put together for a while now.

Keep us posted gents! (Or have I missed it? Back to the index....)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 am

Manta wrote:I'd be interested in hearing Poon's price for this kit when he gets his figures sorted out. Sounds like something I've been wanting to put together for a while now.

Simon,

Me too. He just has to crunch some numbers, but the initial indications are that it will be sub $400, delivered, and possibly well below that. I don't know if it will be sub-300, but that would really be great. I think that may be achievable, but please don't hold me to that, as I have no idea of what the shipping costs will be.

By way of comparison, the 115Ws units I have, without the triggers, without the carry bag, were around Au$360 delivered from Melbourne.

The units Poon has are more powerful, and there's more in the kits, with a greater variety of options available for the shooter.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MHD on Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:47 pm

That is awesome! Will make entry into studio work much easier!
(well cheaper... there is still the skill involved... Oh and having the time too!)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Manta on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:28 pm

gstark wrote:the initial indications are that it will be sub $400, delivered, and possibly well below that. I don't know if it will be sub-300, but that would really be great.

I hope Poon has access to the riot gear worn by the Hong Kong Police depicted in his Picture of the Year. He's gonna have a stampede on his hands if the final figure comes anywhere near that! :shock:

I'll definitely be putting an order in. (Oops...don't tell Stephanie!)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby jamesw on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:10 pm

ooooooo

i'd love a studio kit!

great for product shots, and it will force me to clean up the spare room! hahaha.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Scott, Simon, James ...

I've just updated the lead post in this thread, but $350 delivered is the price.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby SteveGriffin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:39 pm

Top deal Gary!
I would order one tonight but there isn't really any point as I am going to win the challenge and I don't need 2 sets :D
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby Killakoala on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:49 pm

That's a great price. Unbeatable in fact. :) I know what i'll be buying next.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby DStrom on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:09 am

gstark wrote:Scott, Simon, James ...

I've just updated the lead post in this thread, but $350 delivered is the price.

$350???

I think I know what I am doing with my tax return ... Nice work Gary and Poon!
DStrom

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:58 am

Glad to be able to help.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:50 am

Holy sheet!! Amazing price! Will wait for the tax man to give me some (hopefully) good news and they will then be mine...wow..thanks Poon, thanks Gaz! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby kab on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:51 am

Are there any reviews or pics of this studio setup?? IF not, the winner should be made to do one :lol:
kab

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:02 pm

Oh well, at least I have had use of my lights (less powerful, about as expensive, with no soft box) for an additional 5 months!!! :lol:

Gary, I understand you have the same lighting set up as I do (ie. this one). If so, do you know if:

1. The soft box(es) that come with Poon's lighting gear would attach to the lights in the kit linked to above?
2. If so, would Poon be able to sell/ship individual studio gear such as soft boxes?

If not, don't read this. :lol:

Thanks
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Patrick

Reschsmooth wrote:Gary, I understand you have the same lighting set up as I do (ie. this one). If so, do you know if:

I do, and yes, I'm expecting the softboxes to be able to fit. I'll know more when they arrive.

2. If so, would Poon be able to sell/ship individual studio gear such as soft boxes?

MAybe, but let's see where we go with these kits in the first instance.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:28 pm

Thanks Gary.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:39 pm

kab wrote:Are there any reviews or pics of this studio setup?? IF not, the winner should be made to do one :lol:

Start by having a look at the the link Patrick provided. We used one of these kits at the last Portraiture Workshop, and there was some discussion of those lights, and their value, in that thread.

My understanding of the kits that Poon is supplying us is that the heads will have a metal casing (vs plastic), the ones that Patrick and I have are 115Ws, whereas the kits we're sourcing through Poon will be 150Ws ....

Poon says the stands will be better, but the stands in the kits Patrick and I have are pretty substantial. If they're better, great, but if not, I really don't care because they're already far better than I expected them to be ....

Inclusions:

Patrick and I have 4 brollies; these kits will come with 2 brollies and 2 softboxes, which I think is better and offers the photographer more options.

Radio triggers and a carry bag are included in Poon's kits; none of this was included in the kits Patrick and I have.

So ... more powerful, more flexible, more hardware of a higher quality, and shipped, it still costs less than the alternatives.

My expectation is that we will use one of these kits at the next portraiture workshop, and I will have it on display and available for members to play with at the AW dinner.

In speaking with Poon this afternoon, the triggers are arriving tomorrow, and then he'll be shipping me our prize units.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kab on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks Gary.

Hopefully we'll have a sesh here in Melbourne where we can play with this kit. For those of us not in Sydney, when you receive this kit, are you able to take some pics of the equipment and setup during the workshop or AW dinner.

Cheers...
kab

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:26 am

Gary,

I would be interested in getting a speedring from Poon, not sure if he has any by itself around with a price?

I got a softbox here, and it does not fit quite well (actually the speedring is kinda strange type, has no fitting screws), looking for a speedring replacement. The lights I have here is same ones as you do as well.

Will keep a lookout of the radio trigger as well. :)

And also on a lookout for background stands + backgrounds, if Poon plan to stock them within this coming month, please let me know, I need one.
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:21 am

Yi-P wrote:Gary,

I would be interested in getting a speedring from Poon, not sure if he has any by itself around with a price?

Not as yet. He's still waiting for the triggers to arrive. :)

I got a softbox here, and it does not fit quite well (actually the speedring is kinda strange type, has no fitting screws), looking for a speedring replacement. The lights I have here is same ones as you do as well.

Does it have holes for some set screws? If so, you should be able to get screwed .... er, I mean, to buy some screws ... at a hardware store.

If not .... how does it mount to the lights?

And also on a lookout for background stands + backgrounds, if Poon plan to stock them within this coming month, please let me know, I need one.

The stands and a crossbar are on my list to be addressed once we get the lights properly into play. Backgrounds .... roll paper is probably impractical in terms of shipping, as much as I love that medium. Cloths .... we'll see, but they're very heavy, which has a serious affect on the shipping costs.

There may be some cheaper options through visiting your local Spotlight store.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:45 am

Yi-P wrote:And also on a lookout for background stands + backgrounds, if Poon plan to stock them within this coming month, please let me know, I need one.

Yip, I bought this background stand set (and Geoff has the same one).

If you have the same light set (from Oz-plaza) as Gary does, then the background stands are basically of the same quality, and for the price, I have no complaints.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Geoff on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 am

Yip - I will be purchasing some background material (it's called non woven canvas) in about 2 hours from Dragon Image at Artarmon. I am buying it in black (first)...as 3m across and 7m long (suggested by their staff for length). It's $16.50/metre which I thought was reasonable.

This stuff doesn't crease easily and when it does, it takes only a few minutes of hanging to come out.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Yi-P on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:26 pm

gstark wrote:
Does it have holes for some set screws? If so, you should be able to get screwed .... er, I mean, to buy some screws ... at a hardware store.

If not .... how does it mount to the lights?

:shock: This is how it looks like (it looks plasticky, but its metal):

When attached (simply slipping it in), it does not fit tight, from the weight, it tends to pull itself down...

So, solution now is get a new speedring or drill holes... If the ring is not that expensive, I rather get one than to get the power tools job done.
Yi-P

Return to Announcements