Challenge 17 - Landmark/Icon

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Challenge 17 - Landmark/Icon

Postby Greg B on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:51 am

A slight variation on the norm for our next competition. The use of Post Processing is
usually restricted somewhat to maintain the emphasis on the photography.

But without wishing to lose that emphasis, this competition will have no restrictions on
post processing. None!

And the subject is one we can all embrace - whether it is local landmark such as that
church on the hill in your suburb, the water tower in the main street, or the old wharf through
to the MCG or the Opera House or the Storey Bridge (or Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower).

Just make sure the title has the name of the landmark and the (general) location.

The usual rules of anonymity apply, even though the title may give clues, this is about
having fun and participating, and of course, letting your post processing run free if you
want to.

No prizes, this is for the glory.

I give you......

Landmark/Icon
A well known landmark, could be local to your area or capital city or state, or anywhere
in the world. Image title must identify the landmark and the location, e.g. Opera House, Sydney.

No restriction on post processing.

Entries accepted from August 20 through to September 20

"Sydney Life In Photos" Competition and Exhibition

620 images were entered from 366 artists who photographed original and contemporary statements about Sydney Life. Twenty-six images have been selected to express the landscape, community and eccentricities of Sydney Life for the city’s favourite annual photographic exhibition in Hyde Park.

Matt K is one of the 26 finalists in this event and you shall have to come to Hyde Park Sydney to see his entry/photograph (bed sheet size!!) from 2 – 21 October 2007.

The press release for this event is here.

Important Housekeeping Notes

1: If you're ordering through this forum's facilities, please do me the courtesy of reading the bloody FAQ.

I am getting sick and bloody tired of those of you who are too damn well impatient to pay attention to the bits that tell you to BE PATIENT, and that tell you that any queries about where your order is, placed within a week to ten days of you placing your order, are not on.

As it says in the FAQ, you need to please, respect my time, and my resources. By all means, if you think there may be something wrong, then I welcome your query, but I am now officially very close to losing patience with those of you who are rude and impatient and disrespectful to me and my resources.

2: We have noticed recently that a few here have started to make multiple postings from the one, single event or occurrence. This is particularly noticeable when you might have a lot of images to post from some occurrence that may have happenned to you, and you want to show us a lot of your images.

Let me now reiterate the rules for posting: This is NOT a site for the display of your happy snaps. If you have images for which you require criticism or critique, then we are more than happy to see those images posted within the critiques and reviews section, with up to four images, each with a longest dimension no greater than 800 pixels.

If you are demonstrating a technique, or seeking help with a particular technique, and that demands more than four images, that is acceptable.

But

The mere fact that you've been somewhere, and wish to share your happy snaps is not an acceptable reason to make endless posts, simply sharing your happy snaps. "My Trip 1", followed by "My Trip 2", followed by "My Trip 3", etc, ad nauseum, is simply not on.

Not here.

If your trip is a photographic journey, then it's acceptable to make one post in the photographic journeys section, and more than four image post are permitted, but again, this is not where you will post your happy snaps.

And what is a photographic journey, you may well ask? From the section's description ...

In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

I will also add that if you've been travelling, and you wish to share with us the fruits of your travels in order to encourage others to do likewise, then that, too may fit within this category.

But not happy snaps.

And as I've noted above, the "Rocky 547", "Rocky 548", "Rocky 549" type series of posts are also not within our posting guidelines. Maybe two threads is ok. Five or more of 'em? Don't even think about it.

I thank you all for your future cooperation in both of these matters.

Site Issues

Dream Host are having nightmares. There are issues at our host site in LA that are affecting our uptime (which has been pretty good of late).

Not much I can do about it, but ask for your patience.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby BT*ist on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:26 am

Groovy! 8)
Pentax istDS+K10D. Pentax 50mm f1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, Kit Lenses. http://www.redbubble.com/people/berndt2
BT*ist

Postby radar on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 am

Good one :D :D

Is multiple exposures allowed be it a multi-photo panorama or HDR?

thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:36 am

nice topic greg, and I like the open PP too...
Oz_Beachside

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:33 am

Greg - Can we get some clarification of what PP is acceptable and what would be deemed going to far, previously the guidelines have been very specific, but now PP is allowed there seems to be no guidelines on what we can do and what we can't.

For example:

Mulitple exposures or HDR processing

Cloning dust bunnies or remove entire objects

Adding objects or other images in post etc
Alpha_7

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 am

Alpha_7 wrote:Greg - Can we get some clarification of what PP is acceptable and what would be deemed going to far, previously the guidelines have been very specific, but now PP is allowed there seems to be no guidelines on what we can do and what we can't.

For example:

Mulitple exposures or HDR processing

Cloning dust bunnies or remove entire objects

Adding objects or other images in post etc

Craig - I believe this says it all ”letting your post processing run free if you
want to.”

In my book running free with PP means - do what you like :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:54 am

Fair enough Chris but it also says
"....to maintain the emphasis on the photography. But without wishing to lose that emphasis...."
Sounds like it should still resemble a photo at the end of it ?
Alpha_7

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:57 am

Hmmm... what constitutes a landmark/icon? What if it's so obscure that nobody else recognises it? Like I was thinking Glenbrook Lagoon. I drove by there at midnight one time, and thought it looked absolutely stunning for photographing, but it's probably not a recognisable landmark by anyone except maybe the locals.
Onyx

Postby phillipb on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Onyx wrote:Hmmm... what constitutes a landmark/icon? What if it's so obscure that nobody else recognises it? Like I was thinking Glenbrook Lagoon. I drove by there at midnight one time, and thought it looked absolutely stunning for photographing, but it's probably not a recognisable landmark by anyone except maybe the locals.

When in doubt, look in the dictionary:

1. a recognizable natural or man-made feature used for navigation

2. a notable building or place with historical, cultural, or geographical significance

3. a major or important item, denoting a change of direction or marking a beginning or an end

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby BT*ist on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Also, in the end, I guess it's the Jury who decides whether you've gone too far! I'll be using Greg's instructions both to create my entry, and guide my voting afterwards.
Pentax istDS+K10D. Pentax 50mm f1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, Kit Lenses. http://www.redbubble.com/people/berndt2
BT*ist

Postby Killakoala on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Sounds like a great subject. Any old landmark will do, doesn't need to be famous. Remember it's about the image and your skills, not the significance of the subject.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Greg B on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:28 pm

Craig, perhaps I shouldn't have said "without wishing to lose that emphasis". I forgot how closely
theses things are examined!

"No restriction on post processing" means exactly what it says. No restriction. None. Not any.
Post process that S.O.B. into oblivion and beyond if it pleases you.

No restriction.

What is a well known landmark/icon?

As I said,
"whether it is local landmark such as that
church on the hill in your suburb, the water tower in the main street, or the old wharf through
to the MCG or the Opera House or the Storey Bridge (or Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower)."

The topic police will not be delving too deeply - it is up to you to determine whether your
subject is a landmark of some sort.

If your image is
- of a spider, or
- of a flower, or
- of a bicycle
chances are it is not a landmark. And chances are you may be a goose.

If your image is
- the MCG
- the Storey Bridge
- Luna Park
you may be OK.

Come on people, this one is supposed to be simple. :D

And FUN.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Greg B wrote:Come on people, this one is supposed to be simple.

Now there's an entry requirement I can meet!!! :D

Great topic Greg and it will be terrific to see what sort of image creations come from it.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:41 pm

Sorry for being pendantic Greg, just wanted to be clear where the restrictions lay, if there was any. Thanks for clearing that up.
Alpha_7

Postby Greg B on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:47 pm

No apologies necessary Craig. I realise that many comp themes have been fairly
carefully defined, warranting some analysis.

Let's hope it will be enjoyable with a good rate of participation.

I'm determined to stop being a slacker and enter something.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby DVEous on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:08 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Greg B wrote:If your image is
- of a spider, or
- of a flower, or
- of a bicycle
chances are it is not a landmark. And chances are you may be a goose.
 LOL quack quack... or honk honk. Hang on, what sound does a goose make?

Perhaps in future the comp themes should be defined on what isn't allowed rather than what is. ;)

I foresee one of two scenarios. Since there's a prominent membership based on capital cities, we'll see the same old thing photographed from many different angles, and the comp will be upto who has the best take on the same old scene. Or, everyone tries to find obscure 'landmarks' close to their homes and we have many entries like farmer Brown and Lake Tankamarinna.

In any case, I'm forewarning entrants that I'll appoint a score of 1 for any images of the opera house and/or harbour bridge. :p
Onyx

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:55 pm

Onyx wrote:
In any case, I'm forewarning entrants that I'll appoint a score of 1 for any images of the opera house and/or harbour bridge. :p

I will not even bother to vote on the OH 8)
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby DVEous on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:05 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:07 am

VK4CP wrote:It looks like farmer Brown is in with a chance. :wink:

ps
No offence to anyone, but shooting the Opera House or Harbour Bridge, even at some jaunty angle, has "lack of imagination" written all over it.

:agree:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:36 am

VK4CP wrote:Unless the "landmark" is well known across the entire community, then it can't possibly be fully appreciated?

In case you missed it, :) this not about the landmark or icon, but about the photograph.

I would daresay that in some communities, Farmer Brown would qualify as a local icon, and thus a portrait of the good farmer would qualify, but a good photo of the good farmer could perhaps win.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Challenge 17 - Landmark/Icon

Postby norbs on Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Greg B wrote:
2: We have noticed recently that a few here have started to make multiple postings from the one, single event or occurrence. This is particularly noticeable when you might have a lot of images to post from some occurrence that may have happenned to you, and you want to show us a lot of your images.

Let me now reiterate the rules for posting: This is NOT a site for the display of your happy snaps. If you have images for which you require criticism or critique, then we are more than happy to see those images posted within the critiques and reviews section, with up to four images, each with a longest dimension no greater than 800 pixels.

If you are demonstrating a technique, or seeking help with a particular technique, and that demands more than four images, that is acceptable.

But

The mere fact that you've been somewhere, and wish to share your happy snaps is not an acceptable reason to make endless posts, simply sharing your happy snaps. "My Trip 1", followed by "My Trip 2", followed by "My Trip 3", etc, ad nauseum, is simply not on.

Not here.

If your trip is a photographic journey, then it's acceptable to make one post in the photographic journeys section, and more than four image post are permitted, but again, this is not where you will post your happy snaps.

I agree Greg, but Im pretty sure at least 1 senior member had at least 9 parts to one of his trips. It may not have set a precedent, but it didnt help.
norbs

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm

norbs wrote:I agree Greg, but Im pretty sure at least 1 senior member had at least 9 parts to one of his trips. It may not have set a precedent, but it didnt help.

Actually, it was me that added that part of the post, but yes, you're correct, and the person is well aware of his misdeeds.

The point though is that this is simply not what this site is about, we've recieved a number of complaints about the misdeeds (but not including this individual) and transgressions, and, quite simply, it's got to stop.

There's one other thing that's pissing me off big time too .... I'll probably post more on that tomorrow afternoon.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby norbs on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:40 pm

gstark wrote:
Actually, it was me that added that part of the post, but yes, you're correct, and the person is well aware of his misdeeds.

The point though is that this is simply not what this site is about, we've recieved a number of complaints about the misdeeds (but not including this individual) and transgressions, and, quite simply, it's got to stop.

There's one other thing that's pissing me off big time too .... I'll probably post more on that tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry Greg. My mistake.
norbs

Postby DVEous on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:44 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby phillipb on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:49 pm

gstark wrote:
VK4CP wrote:Unless the "landmark" is well known across the entire community, then it can't possibly be fully appreciated?

In case you missed it, :) this not about the landmark or icon, but about the photograph.

I would daresay that in some communities, Farmer Brown would qualify as a local icon, and thus a portrait of the good farmer would qualify, but a good photo of the good farmer could perhaps win.

So tell me Gary, would this qualify? :P :P :P

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Looks like an icon to me.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Pa on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm

is there a challenge site set up for this as yet.

cheers pa
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Return to Announcements