Greetings from Shenzen

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Greetings from Shenzen

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:03 am

I am absobloodylutely flabbermazed!

I'm told that just twent years ago, Shenzen had no buildings taller than 3 stories. The number of high rises, plus the road system, and from what I can see, many other infrastructure elements, puts most first world states to shame.

Especially Australia.

Especially NSW: last evening we were driving to the hotel along a 5 lane highway. That's 5 lanes, in each direction! That's sort of rare even in California; in Oz it's unheard of!

Yesterday ... in the morning, Hong Kong. A bit of a walk around the hotel area in Kowloon.

On the next block there's a small arcade, with maybe eight stores selling second hand photographic gear. Some it is not cheap - a pre-owned Nikkor 85 f/1.4 was selling for not too much less than what we can buy one from Poon. I'd imagine that these prices are negotiable, though.

I did see a Toyo 54CX for around HK3300. That's probably about Au600 for a nice view camera ... no glass though. I may look into that tomorrow ...

Patrick, this one's for you.

Midday, Poon came to my hotel to take me to lunch.

With his staff.

And with his family.

The food was good and ... plentiful. But more on plentiful food in a moment. After lunch, a short walk to Poon's office, where he might just have more Nikon stuff in stock than might Nikon Oz.

Maybe not, but it would be close. :)

After about 4, we went to the train station, for the 45 minute ride into Shenzen. That's a part of the People's Republic of China, in the Special Economic Zone, and for entry, you need to get a visa (HK150) and having just filled out a form with all of your details to get that visa, you now need to fill out an entry form with much the same info to gain entry into China.

Cool. Wander through Immigration, the green zone in customs, and then we're in this mighty plaza ... The D200 was wearing the 85, and it was starting to get dark, so no piccies, but they wouldn't do justice anyway.

A quick call to forum member Jim, who lives in Shenzen, and shortly we're on our way to ... dinner.

Smoked pork, served on a rack. Dip it in the hot chillie sauce, and eaten as is. Also on the menu were things like a breakfast porridge with deep fried noodles, chillie whitebait, sliced marinated beef, a fish soup, eel stew of some sort, steamed ducks' feet, a couple of braised vege dishes.

But I've not told you about the restaurant: a round building (from the outside) this was originally a traditional village fortress type of building, to which the residents would retreat in times of danger or attack. the centre section was open - that's where we were eating - and there were rooms - originally residences, I believe - off to the sides. These were now private function rooms in the restaurant.

The staff ... I loved the uniforms the waitresses were wearing - I believe this is a traditional garb.

For dinner were joined by Gus, a German national living and working in the SEZ. I was amazed at the food - the flavours, the smells, the variety, the quantity ... the venue, the company ...

So, after dinner .... totally buggered (I'd been there for less than 24 hours, btw) we retired to ...

a seaside recreation area - Seaworld, I believe - which is sort of like the Disney villages one sees in Orlando. Music, drinking ... this is parteeland.

Finally ended up at the hotel about midnight. it's now almost 8 am and I'll be picked up in about an hour. The images you see are straight from the camera, resized only. just a few that Ive been able to upload to share with y'all.

I have no idea whatsoever as to what's on the agenda for today, but I'm damn sure it'll be a lot better than staying in Sydney and having to deal with the APEC fallout.

As a final aside, the people here in the SEZ certainly seem to enjoy far more freedom, and less oppression of their rights, than what I've been seeing in Oz of late.

That is a really sad thing to say. What's sadder is it's the truth, though.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:14 am

Oh yes,

Sorry about the length of that post. Being the owner of this site does confer a couple of privileges however. :)

And yes, Poon says hi to you all.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oneputt on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:33 am

That will be quite enough from you Mr Stark. You are turning me green with envy. :wink:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby TonyH on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:42 am

All I can say is WOW!

Have a GREAT TIME!!! as if you're not already...... :D
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby Yi-P on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:26 pm

I wish I was there at that shop!! But I'm glad I'm not going to HK until next yr so I can save up a bit for it :P

Gary, how was the talk to the manufacturer of the light stands and stuffs? Got any news to bring in? :)
Yi-P

Re: Greetings from Shenzen

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:45 pm

gstark wrote:Patrick, this one's for you.

Are you talking to me? (imagine De Niro accent)

I will take the gold box, bottom right on second shelf thanks, and maybe one of those Mamiyas on the second bottom shelf. And that looks like a 7II on the middle shelf, lurking at the back (although I have a crappy work monitor...)

Great to see you are enjoying your trip and freedom.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Bindii on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Oooh I am very jealous but it looks like your havig the best time.... hope your taking lots of piccies to post for when you gets back...:)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:17 pm

That's what I miss about Asia...all the electronics and gear readily available! Oh as well as efficient and working public transport
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby adam on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks for sharing!!! Looks like you're having a good time!!! Continue to enjoy yourself and sharing more photographs of your trip with us!
Take care :)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Killakoala on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Nice........... I think that's all i can say :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby fozzie on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 pm

Gary - what a trip, and also in superb company - Poon Family :) BTW: do you have space in your luggage for a Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4 :wink:

Enjoy the rest of your stay.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby spada on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi
Gary look like you've had a good time overthere, last year I was in Shenzen ,had $5 meal on the street, sleeping in a Toyota hiace Van driven from Quangzhou, It is is absolute the most beautiful and modern city in Asia with no wire hang around street, highrise buldings, multi lanes Hway and very exciting at night where thousands of people on the streets..., I just can't wait to be back for holliday :)
Regards
Spada
spada

Postby Geoff on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Enjoy Gary, it looks hard not to achieve that! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby byrt_001 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:53 pm

wow

thanks for posting the photos, any news on the price for the nikon d3?
check my website>> http://www.6701.sunpixs.com
byrt_001

Postby Old Bob on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Have a great time Gary. I love the look of that pork, and can imagine the delicious aromas. Chuck out all your dirty clothes and undies, and fill your luggage with goodies.

Bob
Old Bob

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:35 am

Y-iP

Yi-P wrote:Gary, how was the talk to the manufacturer of the light stands and stuffs? Got any news to bring in? :)

I met a few of Poon's business partners yesterday, but this person was not amongst them. I will be with Poon again later today, and this is on my list of things to discuss.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:46 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Great to see you are enjoying your trip and freedom.

And there is the real irony. I am seeing people with apparently greater freedoms in Communist China than what I see we .... enjoy ... in Sydney.

We have already lost too much. Its time that our BBQ King dick-tater was deposed, methinx.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:03 pm

byrt_001 wrote:thanks for posting the photos, any news on the price for the nikon d3?

Funny you should ask that. Poon was asking me about this, abd I was letting know what my expectations were, both in terms of white, and grey, stock.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dviv on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Sounds like you are having a great time! How long have you got over there? btw Don't foget that eval 40D that Leigh promised me! (okay, so it was at the AW dinner and he was drunk.... but hey, I figure it's worth a try :twisted: )

But seriously.... Any news on pricing and availablility for the 40D?
dviv

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Old Bob wrote:Have a great time Gary. I love the look of that pork, and can imagine the delicious aromas.

The aromas, and some of the flavours, are just out of this world. On Thursday night, at the restaurant where the photo of the two waitresses was taken, we had some special ... "wine".

That's how it was described to me.

About 47% alcohol, we were drinking from shot sized glasses. It had a sort of pineapple flavour, but it was very strong, and had a similar texture and flamability level as Sambucca. It was apparently served to Tricky Dicky when he visited China and began to open it up to the west.

But all they seem to do is eat, or be waiting between meals. :)

But amongst some of the people I've met with was one of Poon's partners, a gentleman who designs and builds Class A amplifiers. I will probably make a separate post about this, but for those who appreciate fine sound ...

:)

And then there was my visit to the doctor. :) :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:58 pm

dviv wrote:But seriously.... Any news on pricing and availablility for the 40D?

We saw one yesterday in China, but no signs of the for Poon as yet - too expensive for him to handle at this early stage.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dviv on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:40 pm

gstark wrote:
dviv wrote:But seriously.... Any news on pricing and availablility for the 40D?

We saw one yesterday in China, but no signs of the for Poon as yet - too expensive for him to handle at this early stage.

Cheers Gary.
dviv

Postby radar on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:02 pm

gstark wrote:We have already lost too much. Its time that our BBQ King dick-tater was deposed, methinx.

At least that is something we can do here. They don't have that option in China. :cry: :cry:
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Slider on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:22 pm

Awesome stuff Gary. Enjoy your trip :D
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:15 pm

Damn!

It's over, and I'm back.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm

gstark wrote:Damn!

It's over, and I'm back.

Welcome back Gary, It should be safe to walk the streets of Sydney now that you're back :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Killakoala wrote:It should be safe to walk the streets of Sydney now that you're back :)

There's a massive coincidence. :)

Thanx, Steve.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Don't speak too soon, 4 armed robberies this morning in the space of 2 hours, gees Garry you must have done a bit of shopping. :shock: :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 pm

It's over, and I'm back.

Waddaya by, waddaya by - and welcome back :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm

sirhc55 wrote:

It's over, and I'm back.

Waddaya by, waddaya by - and welcome back :)

A lot less than you might expect. Who can beat Poon's prices, after all? :)

Did find a nice Nikkor 105 f/2.8 AI for sub PP200, so that's now taken up residence here.

But what a great trip; I had a ball!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:28 am

Hey Gary, hope you had a great trip. Sorry I missed reading up on your adventures until now. And it's sad that you were there only for the weekend... I'm sure there was much to see and do that you missed out on. Glad you got to meet the cast and crew of HKSupplies. I'm sure the Poon family were generously hospitable.
Onyx

Postby Poon on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:16 am

Chi,

Yes, Gary had great times in HK and China.

He met also some of my friends too.

They welsome Gary's visit too.

Hope to see you again.

Cheers
Poon
Poon
The HK Connection

Postby Grev on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 am

I haven't been back to Hong Kong since 1996 and I want to see more photos. And I can't recall going to China that many times at those days either.

I remember getting lost in the all of Mong Kok even though I was (and still am) a native there.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:46 am

Onyx wrote:Hey Gary, hope you had a great trip. Sorry I missed reading up on your adventures until now. And it's sad that you were there only for the weekend... I'm sure there was much to see and do that you missed out on. Glad you got to meet the cast and crew of HKSupplies. I'm sure the Poon family were generously hospitable.

More than they should have been; the generosity was beyond compare.

I'm already looking at options for an early return, and for a longer period of time.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Dargan on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 am

It is an exciting place, Gary and one that does not stop. You can be worn out very easily with all the 'hospitality' so I am sure you will take it easy. Lechong, which I would guess is the furniture capital of the world is what blew me away when I was there in the Shenzen area 4 years ago for work. It was 10 km on both sides of a main highway of furniture wholesale shops. Everything is on a massive scale in China and it certainly puts your own ideas into perspective when you are exposed to such large scale infrastructure. But this is a photography forum!!! So I am sure we are all expecting to find out if supplies of the (in my case) D300 might be secured at some future date.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Return to Announcements