A New Year ...

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A New Year ...

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:12 pm

A whole new forum.

Well, new software, anyway.

The upgrade in the phpbb forum is a major upgrade. I cannot perform the upgrade on the DH servers because of the resource usage it requires; the processes get trashed because they consume 100% of the CPU, which, on a shared server, is not viewed as "playing nicely with others".

Of course, we don't run the standard board either, so we need to set up a test site, do the conversion, and then do all of the customisations.

And "do the conversion", because of the aforementioned DH restrictions, is a major task. I need to download the data to a local server and run the conversion here, and then upload the data back to DH.

For test purposes it's about a 6 hour job. When we actually convert, it will take about 14 hours all told, because I will also need to build the search indexes off-line before uploading the data back to DH.

Yes, that means the site will be down while the conversion takes place. :(

Or if I leave it up, anything posted while I'm doing the conversion will be trashed and forever forgotten.

At the moment we have the basics of site up and running. Leigh is working on some cool new skins for the site, and I'm working on the bargains and the other custom bits that we need.

And we're both working on the changes that everything needs to, for instance, the portal page. That page is built only for the standard skin, so we need to rework some of the basics in the skins to make everything compatible.

I anticipate about another week's work before we can go live, but this is just a forewarning for y'all so that when the site goes down for the upgrade, you'll know what's happening, and especially so when the site comes back up.

And oh yes ... nearly forgot: I've added a new section to the forum providing a place to post your first images. :) A couple of you have already found this. Please read the section's description, and when you acquire a new camera, you now know where your first image goes. :)
Last edited by gstark on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Excellent stuff Gary!
A nice change for the new year.
Yours and Leigh's work is muchly appreciated!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Re: A New Year ...

Postby ATJ on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:37 pm

gstark wrote:Yes, that means the site will be down while the conversion takes place. :(

Or if I leave it up, anything posted while I'm doing the conversion will be trashed and forever forgotten.

Gary,

I vote for taking the site down and leaving it down for as long as you guys need to get it working the way you want it. I'm sure we can find things to do in the mean time. Here's a thought: how about taking some photographs? :P
ATJ

Postby Old Bob on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:52 pm

Thanks Gary and Leigh, for all the hard work you put into running this forum. I am sure the "new forum" will be wonderful.

Bob
Old Bob

Postby Killakoala on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:26 pm

Good luck fellas. I hope the conversion is a success.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Re: A New Year ...

Postby ATJ on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:28 pm

gstark wrote:And oh yes ... nearly forgot: I've added a new section to the forum providing a place to post your first images. :) A couple of you have already found this. Please read the section's description, and when you acquire a new camera, you now know where your first image goes. :)

Is it just for new cameras? What about new lenses? What about new housings? ;)
ATJ

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:14 pm

New glass is ok.

New housings .... hmmmmm .......
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rflower on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:25 pm

and can it be back dated ...

Since I posted my first pic from my D80 ....
back in Feb :wink:

I'm sure I could find it again.
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Excellent work Gary (and Leigh) and I agree on taking the site down to make the changeover. This would enable me to have a least one decent meal in 2008 :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Bindii on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Cool Gary..

and not sure if you have a glitch or not but lately I've noticed that even if I click the 'remember me' box when I log in it keeps on logging me out...

and when my post count rolled to 1000 it reverted back to 0... or did you just delete all my crap posts... lol.. :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby Big Red on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:54 pm

Bindii wrote:Cool Gary..

and not sure if you have a glitch or not but lately I've noticed that even if I click the 'remember me' box when I log in it keeps on logging me out...

and when my post count rolled to 1000 it reverted back to 0... or did you just delete all my crap posts... lol.. :)

just like getting your virginity back again :lol:
Big Red

Postby Bindii on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 am

Big Red wrote:

Does that mean that someone is gonna have to buy me dinner before I can post again... ;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 am

I'll cut out the coupons!

Actually, that's something I've noticed for a while too and I've seen it happening as we set up the new board too. Might be server related. Dad?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:16 am

Big Red wrote:

:)

Sue,

On the second point, I have a bit of custom code that changes the displayed post count when it hits 1000, for the next 20 posts. :)

For the first problem, just clearing your cache and cookies, and see if that makes a difference.

As Leigh says, we've been seeing something like this on the new site, but that's a whole new code base, and I've not been seeing it here.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Announcements