Did I miss something?

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Did I miss something?

Postby gstark on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Ok, I went away for a couple of days.

Had a great weekend in Goulburn, at the Australian Blues Music Festival. Great organisation of the even, lots of great music with players and visitors from as far afield as Tassie and WA - a whole contingent from WA in fact.

Caught up with some old friends, made some new ones. more of that in another few posts, as I process the music I recorded, and then the images.

But in the meantime, did I miss the announcement that uour posting rules have ben suspended and that it's ok for people to ignore them? I didn't think so.

So somebody please help me understand why, in three separate threads at least, I am seeing six images posted that have a longest side greater than 800 pixels. They're just the ones that I've noticed. There may be more.

For the slow learners, this is what the FAQ has to say on the matter:

As a general rule, any image posted should not exceed 800px along its largest side

It's there, clear as daylight, for all to see. It's not my fault if you choose to ignore it. It will also be not my fault when the mods remove any such images, replacing them with links.

From tomorrow night!

Email delays
Tuesday Feb 12, 8:30 am

There's a problem with email at DH that's been ongoing since the weekend. Emails are being delayed on the server, and are taking from 8-14 hours to be delivered.

This is affecting those of you who are waiting on authentication emails, or advices of posts made to a forum, or PMs recieved, and also it's delaying the sending of orders from the ordering system.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

And for anyone that uses DH's email services, it's also affecting any email that you send.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Did I miss something?

Postby Bindii on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:38 am

And for once it wasn't me! *does the happy dance* :)

Can't wait to see your pics from the festival too Gary!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby drifter on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:14 pm

:lol: Welcome back Gary.
Tony

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
drifter

Postby foonji on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm

maybe make use of a script to restrict the images to 800px.. then you wouldn't have to worry. ;)
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:51 pm

foonji wrote:maybe make use of a script to restrict the images to 800px.. then you wouldn't have to worry. ;)

1: Too much work

2: I like for you to have the flexibility to be able to bend the rules when necessary. There are times when it may be desirable to break the rules, and a script would prevent this. Usually, cases like this will be obvious, but if you're unsure, then a quick PM to any of the mods will quickly sort it out for you. In the instances this weekend though, there was no obvious reason, and in most instances I think it was either a case of genuine error (fair enough), or a failure to read the FAQ, which will shortly become a hanging offence. :)

3: There's a configuration setting in phpbb3 that is supposed to do this. I turned it on, and it broke the ability for people to post images. That was really effective. :)

It's really very simply: you have a resize script in whatever tool you use, and it's set to create your images at the appropriate size.

Or perhaps you scrawl across your monitor, in big letters "800px maximum size".

It's really not that hard, you know: I resized about 800 images last night from the weekend in just one batch process. I now need to go through them all, and see what's usable as is (won't be many), what's usable with minimal PP (won't be too many of those either), what's usable after much PP (more than the other two steps, but not a whole lot more), and what's crap (the big pile).

Tony: Thanx. :) :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby moz on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Sorry, but I just have to say this:
bogan wrote:Wotz yor 800 fingies? I ken c da pixurz on my skrine, so dats wot contz, yeh? I postin mor pixurz wen my cuz get da key 4 fotozship so iz ken do mor edz on dem!

Gary, we've also had a "Noise Ninja is great, you should steal a copy" comment that's probably not within the posting guidelines.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:57 pm

moz wrote:Gary, we've also had a "Noise Ninja is great, you should steal a copy" comment that's probably not within the posting guidelines.

Thanx for bringing that to my attention. I'd not been following that thread, so I appreciate the heads up.

While I think that the post you're referring to was made in jest, I too don't appreciate the message that's conveyed, so I will take some appropriate action.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Announcements