New section for posting images

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New section for posting images

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm

I received a PM this evening from Ozimax, suggesting a new section for the forum.

This is going to be a section for older images that we may have. Oz suggested the section be named "Poignant Memories", and that it represent "Images from yesteryear that mean something today"

I'm not sure that I can add much more to that, except to say that I think it's a great idea, and thus it's been done. Oz has the pleasure of posting the first image into that section, and it's there now, awaiting your discussion.

Discussion of Oz's idea belongs here of course, and behalf of everyone here, I thank him for this.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: New section for posting images

Postby Matt. K on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 pm

A cracker of an idea! And the first pictures certainly set the mood. Now...where's my scanner? :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:41 am

Terrific idea!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:37 am

My initial thoughts ... I'm still happy with this being in the Members' section, but I'm wondering about the restriction on the number of images per post/thread. I'm wondering if this can or should be relaxed in this area?

Although it's very early days, judging by the quality of what we're already seeing, I'm not sure that such a restriction is a good idea.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:13 am

Great idea Oz, and very happy to see it implemented.

Gary, I am in favour of a larger image number posting limit for the new section. There is still the issue of those
members who battle with a slower connection, but I suspect they are relatively few and reducing. Personally,
I think 10 or 12 would be reasonable and ample.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 am

Great idea - now all I have to do is find that old time machine of mine, go back in time, take some digital shots and post them. Saves buying a scanner Matt :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby ozimax on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 am

sirhc55 wrote:Great idea - now all I have to do is find that old time machine of mine, go back in time, take some digital shots and post them. Saves buying a scanner Matt :roll:

Chris, I'm sure you can find a time machine on ebay... :D
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby moz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:42 pm

Slowly, slowly the forum drifts further and further away from "help me improve" and into "look! my ego! It's big!".
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Moz, I think most would find it hard to take credit for images taken before they were born! I take your point about other sections diluting the core interests, but I believe the forum is large enough with varied interests to have new sections without losing support for the core activities.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:22 pm

Moz,

Apart from Glen's points, perhaps you may have also overlooked the point of "how can i make my images replicate this sort of ... "

Maybe people also want to learn how to to some processing of scanned images? Oz has already asked about how to treat negs that have been affected by mould.

And with respect, do you not believe that we could learn something from the masters, such as HCB, Robert Capa, et al? perhaps there are some lesser known "masters" that practised a little closer to home, and from whom we may be able to learn. I believe that this will open up a whole new world for some of our members, and may give them a different insight into this craft of photography. You are free to disagree, of course, but I'd suggest that you stand to the side just to be sure that you're not trampled in the rush. :)

As an aside, I think that the forum's core activity is photography. While there is a strong focus on helping others improve their skills, and a primary emphasis on digital photography, I believe that this is very strongly related to our core activity.

I note that you've not complained about our upcoming film day; surely if you see this new section as this site drifting 'further and further away from "help me improve" ' which, given the site's name places our activities well within the digital context, then the film day should be equally abhorrent. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby moz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:37 pm

gstark wrote:Apart from Glen's points, perhaps you may have also overlooked the point of "how can I make my images replicate this sort of ... "

Sorry, I did not realise that people were not allowed to post photos they have taken themselves to this area. My impression was that it was simply for old photos people had lying around that they didn't feel comfortable posting to the critique area. Perhaps that should be clarified. So yes, as long as there are no copyright problems I could support that. I'm not sure why people can't post questions like Oz's "treating canned images" to the existing areas, but I take your word for it.

And with respect, do you not believe that we could learn something from the masters, such as HCB, Robert Capa, et al? perhaps there are some lesser known "masters" that practised a little closer to home, and from whom we may be able to learn.

I'm not sure that the intersection of non-copyright, masterful and not already on the net is all that big, but it's an impressive project and I wish you well. Presumably if you do find many such images you'll start a new site to display them outside this narrow forum?

I note that you've not complained about our upcoming film day

Perhaps unlike some others I believe that if you learn to take better photos using film at least some of those skills will transfer over to proper photography :P
moz

Postby moz on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Glen wrote:Moz, I think most would find it hard to take credit for images taken before they were born!

You're putting words in my mouth. Or Gary's. The area is for old photos that you happen to have that you think might mean something to someone. That seems to me to include photos people have taken themselves as well as photos that are outright awful but mean something. I have some scans of frankly appalling photos that mean a lot because they're the only images we have of some of my ancestors. I hope to get a scan of the first photo I ever took, and that is a basic snapshot of my parents. It means something to me, but aside from that it's just yet another blah holiday snap from the 70's. Not to mention my amazing set of "farm machinery that fascinates me" from when I was about 8 and some fool gave me an instamatic camera. All those meet the criteria for the new forum.

I take your point about other sections diluting the core interests, but I believe the forum is large enough with varied interests to have new sections without losing support for the core activities.

But there are already a lot of forums for people to post photos on. This one is special because (to me, anyway) it's primarily focussed on helping people take better photos. That's one reason why I post so few images - I treat it as a way to get help with photos, rather than a place to post particularly nice photos in the hope of getting the POTW prize. Although since I've been slapped for criticising photos posted to the critique section obviously not everyone agrees. I also thought that people would post stuff like this to the gallery section? Isn't that what that section is for?
moz

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Moz, not putting words in your mouth, but reflecting on what has already been posted. An example is an image of a members father when he was a child, I didn't think any better or worse of the posters photography (which I happen to like) because of the image they posted, which they clearly couldn't have taken. I wouldn't worry if you think an image is appalling, post it if you think it is of interest. An image doesn't need to be technically perfect to create emotion in the viewer. Of course, if you really do find this section abhorrent, instead of just playing the devils advocate, don't open it.

I don't think the core values of this aussie forum will be diluted by this photographic sideroad. The members here are still a very helpful, warm and inviting bunch, only to keen to lend a hand and compared to many forums warm and welcoming to newcomers. Meeting in the flesh helps this as well as offering other opportunities not possible online
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Greg B on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Good grief, we have a member with a decent and I would have thought non-controversial idea, implemented, and still there is a snide remark.

And by snide remark, I mean this

"Slowly, slowly the forum drifts further and further away from "help me improve" and into "look! my ego! It's big!""

I can only suggest you avoid this area completely moz and stay with those sections of the forum you find acceptable, and
for which you have not apparently missed the point completely.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby jethro on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Old photos create a history to which ever way they are portrayed. Ozi has introduced another portal to the past. Like it or leave it
jethro
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Every photograph posted to this new area is a portal to the past considering that there is no real differential between 20 years ago and 2 minutes ago - they are both in the past 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby phillipb on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:38 am

sirhc55 wrote: there is no real differential between 20 years ago and 2 minutes ago

Dementia setting in already Chris? :lol: :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Onyx on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:16 am

Why is it in the "member's only" section and not the "Images" section?
Onyx

Postby norbs on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Great idea. :cheers:
norbs

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Onyx wrote:Why is it in the "member's only" section and not the "Images" section?

For the same reason that the bargains section is in there. I'm open to discussion on this point.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Onyx wrote:Why is it in the "member's only" section and not the "Images" section?

My preference would be to leave it as it is - Members only.

I think people need to get the feel of the place, and we of them, before we turn them loose in here. The posting rules seem to be slightly more relaxed, and I think it would be better to make sure that people understood the site first.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Marvin on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Well, I just love looking at all the old photos and reading the stories behind them. I think it gives us a bit of an insight into the people on the forum and a look at the way things were. I also enjoyed looking at Chris' old scanned photos/slides from a while ago when he posted them. I think it's a great new addition.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Return to Announcements