I'm Back!

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

I'm Back!

Postby gstark on Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 am

And badder than ever!

Yes, I had a great time in LA, avoided getting into a serious gun battle in Tijuana; seriously - 15 shot in a street battle over drugs. For some reason I decided to stay in San Diego and eat Cal-Mex instead of real Mex.

New Orleans remains one of my favourite cities in the world. The people, the music, the food, the buildings, the arts ... everything.

And it all comes together in April every year for Jazzfest! Yes, there's still a lot that needs to be done. Some of the stories I heard, from people still affected some three years after Katrina. One pastor told me that there are still cars stacked on top of one another around the Ponchartrain Park area. One lady told me of water four feet deep in her house.

Of being ripped off to the tune of several thousand dollars by a dishonest contractor. And of then being ripped off again by another contractor! Can you believe in man's inhumanity towards man?

Of a family who managed to get from New Orleans to Houston, in their family's convoy of seven cars, in 15 hours (normally about a six hour drive), to avoid Katrina. And then having to shift from Houston just a couple of weeks later as Rita stormed in. And then being housed in a hotel for, I think it was, 8 months! The family now lives in Dallas, Houston and New Orleans.

And these people - the people from N'Awlins - are still all smiling! Partying. Makin' great music.

And putting on what might arguably be said to be the best music festival in the world. Santana, Jimmy Buffet, Bobby McFerrin, Stevie Wonder, Chic Corea, to name but a few who were there on the same weekend that I was. Fancy that: they all knew I was coming and came out to see me! :)

Finally, a few days to catch up with friends in Dallas. Former work colleagues. meeting, again, the twin daughters of one good friend, who the last time I saw them were but just 8 years old, but who are now gorgeous young ladies who turned 18 just in the last week. Taking in some jazz at the Dallas Museum of Arts, followed up with some good ole' live Texas blues - including a jam with your's very truly on the bass.

So, that's my Jazzfest trip all wrapped up.

Time to start worrying about how to avoid World Youth Day! :)

In the meantime, there's lots going on: have you submitted your images for the Crema Challenge? THat closes in the next few days, so hurry up and get your act together.

There's a night shot in Sydney this Saturday. Looks like lots of you will be there, so this will be a great evening.

We have other stuff happening in Melbourne, Adelaide, and Brisbane over the next few weeks. So please, look up the relevant threads, and get involved.

I will be. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: I'm Back!

Postby Glen on Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 am

Sounds like a great trip Gary
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Oneputt on Mon May 12, 2008 12:01 pm

Welcome home Gary. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip, if a little tiring :D
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby sirhc55 on Mon May 12, 2008 12:23 pm

You’ve been away? :lol: :lol:

If music be the food of life, play on, give me excess of it - welcome home
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby ATJ on Mon May 12, 2008 12:54 pm

gstark wrote:Time to start worrying about how to avoid World Youth Day! :)

World Youth Day is so discriminatory! Not only am I not Catholic, but I'm also not youth. :(
ATJ

Postby ozimax on Mon May 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Welcome home Gary, glad you enjoyed your trip,

I'm halfway through mine. Spent a magnificent day in Yosemite last Friday, now I'm in the deep south. Tomorrow I head up to Michigan, North Carolina on Wednesday, Phoenix AZ Thursday, Sacramento (again) Saturday then Oz the following Wednesday. Time flies when you're having fun!

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby CraigVTR on Mon May 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Welcome home. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and I bet it now feels like you never left home. :)
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby PiroStitch on Mon May 12, 2008 4:24 pm

welcome back Gary.

Great to hear that the citizens of New Orleans are at least still in fine spirits and continuing their lives with music and passion. It's sad to hear that after all these years, there are still issues happening with rebuilding and hopefully they'll be able to complete the reconstruction soon.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Bindii on Tue May 13, 2008 4:06 pm

He's back...

sheesh...

didn't I tell you people to lock the godamn door! :P

*snogs* welcome back
:)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby gstark on Tue May 13, 2008 6:26 pm

PiroStitch wrote:It's sad to hear that after all these years, there are still issues happening with rebuilding and hopefully they'll be able to complete the reconstruction soon.

Wayne,

Yes, I hope so. These are good people - great people, actually - and the pain that they have suffered must be immense. Certainly, it's well beyond my comprehension and experience.

Craig, another couple of days before that happens: I'm still unpacking. :)

ozimax wrote:now I'm in the deep south

No, I'm in the deep south. :)

You are truly doing the rounds now. Say hi to the airport lounges for me. :)

Chris, John, Glen ... absolutely.

And Sue ....

I'm the one with the keys, remember? :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Tue May 13, 2008 7:30 pm

[quote="gstark"

I'm the one with the keys, remember? :)[/quote]

.......must look at having the locks changed next time, just to keep the party going....... don't say anything shhhhh....... :wink:

welcome home
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby wendellt on Wed May 14, 2008 2:28 am

that was a whirlwind trip
you always get up to all sorts
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby gstark on Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 am

wendellt wrote:that was a whirlwind trip
you always get up to all sorts

Yep.

I love licorice. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby TonyH on Wed May 14, 2008 9:01 am

Welcome back Gary, sounds like one helluva trip..... :D

Now, will we see you on an upcoming episode of border security?? :D :D :D
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby gstark on Wed May 14, 2008 9:12 am

TonyH wrote:Now, will we see you on an upcoming episode of border security?? :D :D :D

Thanx, Tony.

No, but while awaiting my luggage in Baggage Claim 4, AQS had two ladies running Beagle Patrol, within a few feet of one another. The second of those seemed, to me, as if it (the dog, not the lady) might have been a tad inexperienced, as it was very easily distracted by all manner of delicacies it may have encountered on the floor. Its handler had to reach into its mouth several times as it preferred sniffing the floor and gobbling up whatever it had found, rather then sniffing travelers' bags.

My food imports consisted of three cans of chipotle sauce, something that I am sure Ashley will appreciate the need for, but which, while costing US$0.79 at the Fiesta supermarket on Ross St just off Lowest Greenville in Dallas, is virtually unobtainable here.

And for those who may be curious as to my electronics purchases, I can tell you that the Apple iPhone is well deserving of its hype. It is an elegant and well designed phone, and in over 10 years' experience with PDA devices, I can honestly say that it is the first decent implementation of one, the first time that somebody has combined a PDA with a cellphone in a logical, cohesive, usable and elegant fashion ... and the UI is brilliant!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Fri May 16, 2008 6:18 am

gstark wrote:And for those who may be curious as to my electronics purchases, I can tell you that the Apple iPhone is well deserving of its hype. It is an elegant and well designed phone, and in over 10 years' experience with PDA devices, I can honestly say that it is the first decent implementation of one, the first time that somebody has combined a PDA with a cellphone in a logical, cohesive, usable and elegant fashion ... and the UI is brilliant!:)

Here is the question Gary - my last stop in US of A will be the Apple store in Sacramento next Tuesday. Should I, or should I not, purchase an 8GB iPhone? It is rumoured that Optus is going to have one later this year, my contract runs out in January, but like everything else, we get ripped off in this country. Current price here is $399 for 8gb model.

How easy is it to get this thing unlocked/usuable for GSM in Australia?

Presently I am typing this with free wifi at Charlotte airport, waiting for another 7-8 hours of travel to Phoenix ......... sometimes the Yanks do somethings very well. Free wifi is everywhere here, and there is a Cinnabon shop 20 metres away....yeah!

Ozi
ozimax

Postby gstark on Fri May 16, 2008 8:31 am

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:And for those who may be curious as to my electronics purchases, I can tell you that the Apple iPhone is well deserving of its hype. It is an elegant and well designed phone, and in over 10 years' experience with PDA devices, I can honestly say that it is the first decent implementation of one, the first time that somebody has combined a PDA with a cellphone in a logical, cohesive, usable and elegant fashion ... and the UI is brilliant!:)

Here is the question Gary - my last stop in US of A will be the Apple store in Sacramento next Tuesday. Should I, or should I not, purchase an 8GB iPhone?

My advice would be yes, and perhaps consider the 16GB model for an extra US$100. That's what I bought, but each of the boys now has an 8GB model.

Be sure to look up addresses of the various AT&T stores too, though. None of the Apple stores I tried, in San Diego and Dallas, had anything in stock of either model. In San Diego, the first AT&T store had stock, but wouldn't sell me one without a plan. The second store sold me just one 16GB, without a plan. In Dallas, the first AT&T store I tried was happy to sell me two 8GB models, no plan, so they got the sale.

Bottom line - I wouldn't necessarily be expecting to buy at the Apple Store.

It is rumoured that Optus is going to have one later this year, my contract runs out in January, but like everything else, we get ripped off in this country. Current price here is $399 for 8gb model.

Not a rumour. Optus and Vodaphone have both announced availability, but knowing how they like to gouge^h^h^h^h^h rip-off^h^h^h^h^h^h charge fair and reasonable prices for these things, I wouldn't be expecting any change from around PP850 for the 8GB model. That's about an extra 400 out of your pocket.

And yes, the US$ price is the same, regardless of whether you buy from AT&T or Apple.

How easy is it to get this thing unlocked/usuable for GSM in Australia?

Easy as. I used ZiPhone: Connect your iPhone to your computer. Run it. Push one button on the app's interface. Wait 4'30". You're done; swap SIM cards, and use the phone.

Free wifi is everywhere here, and there is a Cinnabon shop 20 metres away....yeah!

That hurts! :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Fri May 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Gary, please phone Robyn and let her know that I NEED an iphone for ...um...well...you know, you just need one. :D
ozimax

Postby gstark on Sun May 18, 2008 4:05 pm

ozimax wrote:Gary, please phone Robyn and let her know that I NEED an iphone for ...um...well...you know, you just need one. :D

When you consider the cost of an 8GB iPod, you're getting the phone for just about, almost, nearly, zilch.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photohiker on Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Gary,

What is network like for the US iPhone in Australia? I heard that the upcoming Aussie Model will support 3g, what's your take on the merits or otherwise of that?

Michael
photohiker

Postby zafra52 on Sun May 18, 2008 7:36 pm

I am glad you had a good time in USA. I too have very fond memories of New Orleans. I was there in 2000 and I don't think now it would be the same. Great Jazz at the Preservation Hall and also in the streets of the French Quarter.
zafra52

Postby gstark on Sun May 18, 2008 8:38 pm

photohiker wrote:What is network like for the US iPhone in Australia? I heard that the upcoming Aussie Model will support 3g, what's your take on the merits or otherwise of that?

Michael,

Obviously, what we have is 2g, and after unlocking, works just fine here. I'm not sure about 3g, in terms of usage/usability vs price. Most people who have it here don't seem to use it, so ... who cares. At home it connects to the WLAN, and all is well.

Zafra52 wrote:I too have very fond memories of New Orleans.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to New Orleans; I love the place very much. This was my first visit post-Katrina, and while there remains much damage in much of the city, the tourist areas, such as the Quarter, the Warehouse aand Garden districts are all pretty well back to normal.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 am

Gary,

It's all your fault. There's a shiny new 8Gb iphone, shrinkwrapped, sitting next to my carry-on bag, bound for Oz tomorrow, and it's all your fault. You pushed me over the edge.... :D

Ozi
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am

Gee, I'm really, really, really sorry. :)

And I can tell how miseable you are about this.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Announcements