Can you feel it?

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Can you feel it?

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:42 pm

No, not the cold of this year's winter.

But the joy and happiness of those of us who are celebrating this forum's fourth birthday.

Yep: we've been here for four years now.

As I write this, there's a group of members riding on a ferry on Sydney Harbour, where I hear that it's more than just a little bit chilly, but they're out and about, enjoying a wonderful sunny Sydney winter day, with their cameras.

And in a few hours, there will be a group of us gathering at the In Restaurant in Neutral Bay, sharing some good times, an ample sufficiency of good food, great wine, and excellent camerarderie.

Four years ago, when I started this forum as a means for a few of Sydney's D70 users to get together, I would never have dreamed of what we have today - probably the most active, and the friendliest, photography forum in Australia, if not the world.

It's been truly a pleasure to see the skills of our members grow, and it's been truly a pleasure to be able to contribute perhaps to just a small part of that photographic growth of our members. And this growth is evident in our most recent challenge too: the quality of the entries that we have is just wonderful, but the winners, whose names I will be announcing at tonight's dinner, provide a perfect example of this growth in the skills of you, our members.

On the challenge, I need to express my thanks to Scott (MHD) for his tireless assistance in setting up the galleries for this, and to Scott and Matt K for their assistance in judging this challenge, and finally, to Matt K for his generous donation of a book for the winner of this challenge.

Congratulations Alpha 7! for his Welcome image
And to out two runners up Alex with Her Highness and rflower with A different kind of ball.

Great to see good participation in this challenge! All entries are now revealed as well as the submitters names at:
http://www.potofgrass.com/gallery/c22

Of course, none of what this forum has achieved would be possible without the assistance of our team of mods: Geoff (our very first member), Glen, Greg B, Stubbsy, Cricketfan, MHD, and of course, sycamore #1 - nnnnsic, and our Key Members: Fozzie, Matt K, Sheepie, and sirhc55.

And of course, none of what this forum has achived would have been possible without the assistance, the good will, and the contributions from you, our members. Please, all, congratulate yourselves, and share in the joy of our fourth birthday as we move forward now, into our fifth year.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Can you feel it?

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes, I can.

This is one of the most friendliest and supportive forums out there. The membership size is large enough to make it diverse and 'busy', but small enough where there is a real sense of community. Those in charge have done a great job, and without the need to sell advertising space, etc.

Job well done.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby radar on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Well said Gary

All the best of times to everyone at the dinner tonight, sad that I won't be there. I've been part of the forums for just over three years now and I have enjoyed the ride immensely along the way. The forums are a great resource and a great community.

thanks to everyone :up: and a happy anniversary :D :D

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby CraigVTR on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:09 pm

Have fun. :D
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Alex on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Have a great time at dinner everyone tonight! Wish I was there. Happy Birthday dslrusers!

Alex
Alex

Postby Killakoala on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Congratulations Gary on four years of 'legislating and nurturing' this fine forum and internet experience. I know you say that it's the members that make the forum so good, and I agree that it is, but you as the admin deserve a heap of credit for getting it this way.

Let's face it Gary, without yourself and Leigh putting in the effort of getting the website up and running this anniversary would not be happening. Your foresight to getting the initial website and first mini-meet happening have been instrumental in the life of the forum.

I thank you for that.

Sure we have had our ups and downs over the years but the forum has survived and more importantly, has seen some mediocre beginning photographers turn into some brilliant and talented artists. With the nurturing, experience and assistance of the forum's more experienced members, those 'photo newbies' would have struggled to get their talents exposed, but now we can see the fruits of their skills displayed and be happy knowing that we may have had a part in that.

Good fortune to those who have gained something from this website. I hope the future burns brightly for you.

I hope those at the anniversary dinner enjoy themselves. The restaurant is excellent and I enjoyed my time there when we had the Xmas party there.

Here's to another four years.......................... :cheers:
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Jonesy on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Enjoy the night to all of those attending and thanks to everyone else for a great place to hang out.

And thanks to Gary and the team for all the hard work behind the scenes :cheers:

Cheers
Jonesy
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby MHD on Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:07 am

Gallery is all displayed again... and open for comments (You must be logged in to comment, protects me from spambots)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby radar on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:47 am

Congrats Craig on the Challenge win,

When I saw it yesterday, I really like your Welcome entry, well done and well deserved.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Alex on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:21 am

Congratulations to Craig on winning the challenge! Fantastic image!

Alex
Alex

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:26 pm

I can think of no better forum or group of people to grow old with. Gary created a forum that not only explores the creativity of the individual but the friendship that binds us all together as a rather unique ‘Band of Brothers’.

To all new members I cannot emphasise enough that this forum grew from small beginnings into what it is today through ‘joining in’.

As for challenge 22, Craig had a well deserved win not because he had the latest and greatest camera but something we should all aim for - a creative eye. So, congratulations Craig the journey to your present excellence has been fascinating :up:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Four more years, four more years...

Postby Onyx on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:58 pm

/me tips hat to all the forum regulars. Sorry I missed this weekend's celebrations, I'll be around come xmas time.... I promise. :)

Congrats Craig on winning the challenge, and everyone else too that entered the challenge. I just had a browse of the gallery and I'm thoroughly impressed with all the entries.

I've gained alot from being a part of these forums... there was a time when I was around a fair bit more than I am these days; but nonetheless I was thinking of all you guys on this anniversary wk'end. Big shoutout to everyone here!
Onyx

Postby Big Red on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:57 pm

congrats Craig, very well spotted 8)
Big Red

Postby Manta on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Congratulations all on a fantastic four years!

And a special round of applause to Craig for that great shot. Some stunning stuff there so to pull off a win was a real triumph.

:lol:
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby surenj on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Congrats to everyone on the 4th year!
Congrats Craig! Well deserving image... :cheers:
surenj

Postby ozimax on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Gary, congrats mate on four years of excellence. The forum is a great place to learn, share and be accepted no matter what one's background or experience. I have learned a great deal over the last couple of years and appreciate the effort put in.

Ozi. (Fraser)
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby kipper on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Congrats on reaching four years old. It only seems like yesterday that I was attending the first birthday.....the memories.

Anyway kudos to Gary and Leigh and all of the other admins/moderators and major contributors to this website. Without you guys this website wouldn't still be running.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Return to Announcements