Not many have noticed as yet

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Not many have noticed as yet

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:28 pm

But I've removed the bargains page from the site.

Because Poon has changed his busness model, it's proven to be no longer practical for me to do the bargains. As I've just changed the server and hosting, I decided to remove the facility.

Basically, Poon is just doing mail order now. My understanding is that he's not doing much on his ebay store any more either. A couple of weeks ago, when I last chatted with him, he told me that he's no longer selling lenses via the internet, and it's been over two years since I last got a full price list from him, despite numerous requests for one.

He's told me that I should email for a current price, item by item. Sadly, that;s a lot of work at my end, and especially so when it takes several emails from me before I get a response. I simply don;t have that time to expend.

As a part of that recent conversation, he mentioned that he's about to open a second store in HKG, but the stock in those stores is his lighting and accessories, and not bodies and lenses. He's currently in Photokina, I believe, with about 13 people on his two stands.

This is all all good stuff for him, and I think that it's great that he's doing well, but it's my belief that our members - you - are more interested in buying glass and bodies.

Sadly, I think we've reached the end of that road.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Not many have noticed as yet

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:35 pm

I noticed but figured it was part of life and not simply an omission.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:09 pm

I am glad to hear that Poon is doing well. I am sure many will miss the prices that he can get for us, but all good things come to an end.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby rookie2 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 pm

I had noticed but similarly thought things had slowed down a fair bit in that area with a lot of local competition. A few people no doubt would be looking again now with the old pacific peso gaining ground!

Anyway, hats off to you Gary :up: for all the years of communicating, updating, negotiating, haggling and mediating that you have done on behalf of members. Many of us benefitted from Poons (and Birdies?) support for the forum with gear that will always hold its value!

More time to get out and take pics Gary!

cheers
R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby biggerry on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:20 pm

yeah noticed, but quite frankly, don't care - I think forum associated sales/orgs is a prickly beast :wink: Phottix are advertising their accessories pretty heavily now so it only makes sense that this is more of core business then a few sales thru a forum. Hksupplies site seems dead also.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Critter on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 pm

I am in a much more secure financial position compared to when I started on this site a few years ago, so am not really bothered by losing the service that Gary and Poon provided, but I would like to say thank you to Gary for helping out so many people get access to great bargains over the past few years. You have done a great job with the couple of purchases I made, and it is clear that many others also appreciated your help!

Well done, and thanks!
Chris
D300 | D80 | 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/2 | 105VR f/2.8 | 18-200VR | SB600 | R1 | GP-1 |
Critter

Postby photograham on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Gary, many thanks for doing all of the organising of our bargains with Poon in the past. I did take advantage of the special offers given to us forum members several times, so again, special thanks for all of that.
photograham

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Yep, the earth has rotated and the season has changed.

With the PP at around 95c to the US dollar, BH Photo, Amazon and the other US internet stores will be very competitive.

Thanks to Gary and the forum for providing this feature for us whilst it was viable.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ozczecho on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

The end of an era...I only bought a couple of things but the service was always 1st class.

Thank you Gary for providing it for so long.
ozczecho

Postby surenj on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Yes noticed. I did buy the Golden Eagle from poon and it is still flying.

Thanks Gary for going to be the trouble to make the special pricing available. All the best to Poon for his future. [Phottix is looking good atm] :cheers:
surenj

Postby Alex on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:00 am

Yep. I noticed it. It is sad, but good for Poon. Thanks Gary and Poon for making it available in the past.

Cheers
Alex
Alex

Postby radar on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks Gary for the update and for your help with facilitating purchases with Poon. I've done a few purchases myself and certainly was very grateful with your efforts.

Good luck to Poon, sounds like he is doing very well with Phottix. PS: one of the reason a lot of people may not have noticed is that when going to the www.dslrusers.com it takes me (assume others too) to the board index instead of the Portal page where the bargains were prominent.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ATJ on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 am

I hadn't noticed that the Bargains section was missing, but I had assume from previous discussions that it had effectively ceased so am not at all surprised.

It was great when it was around but it isn't the reason to hang around on DSLRUsers.

Thanks to Gary and Poon for the bargains we did manage to get.
ATJ

Postby ozczecho on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:28 am

radar wrote:PS: one of the reason a lot of people may not have noticed is that when going to the http://www.dslrusers.com it takes me (assume others too) to the board index instead of the Portal page where the bargains were prominent.

..and I thought it was my browser history that got screwed up somehow. :shock: Personally, I prefer the old home page "Portal", as I can see POW and also posts unread and news.
ozczecho

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 am

radar wrote:PS: one of the reason a lot of people may not have noticed is that when going to the http://www.dslrusers.com it takes me (assume others too) to the board index instead of the Portal page where the bargains were prominent.

Yep.

That happened when I changed the server, but I don't understand why. I'm wanting to upgrade the forum software to the latest version, but I'm also working on four other private projects as well, plus work, plus my radio stuff.

So I'm just a little bit busy. :) Hopefully by the long weekend ...
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Wasn't trying to hurry you along, just a general comment. Sounds like you have your hands full, which is always good :D

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby barry on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 pm

I too have noticed but I must say it was sometime that I expected given previous posts.

I also noticed entry via the Index page. Can we get entry via the Portal page back?
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm

radar wrote:Wasn't trying to hurry you along, just a general comment.

André,

I certainly didn't take your comment as anything other than a general comment or observation.

Barry,

Please refer to my post a couple of messages above yours. I'm working on it.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby barry on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Sorry Gary, I read this post earlier this morning and missed your post when I replied.
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:31 pm

barry wrote:Sorry Gary, I read this post earlier this morning and missed your post when I replied.

Not a problem.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:46 pm

As mentioned - It was great when it was around (I bought a bit of gear from here) but its not the main reason I come here!

Thanks for offering the service whilst it was around though Gary/Bridy/Poon/and all those others that have been involved.
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby petermmc on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 pm

I noticed. I think I have checked the bargains page more over the years than I have looked at posts. When I can't work out what the Australian Dollar is doing I checked the bargains page as it usually reflected those fluctuations. It didn't argue, it didn't have strong opinions and it was always willing to admit its mistakes. Imagine what a week it would have this week with the Aus dollar heading towards parity. I have purchased a few beauties over the years: My Sigma 10-20, A 50mm 1.4, A SB900Flash, and other bits and pieces. Sadly it is gone but the memories are still there. :cry:

Thanks Gary. It has been an amazing service that you have provided. I personally appreciate the time, effort and friendly responses you have given me while using bargains....now where can I get a cheap 300 F4.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Return to Announcements