POTW 7.3.2012

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW 7.3.2012

Postby surenj on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi all!

As usual, it's quite a task picking POTW but it was made easier as there weren't many actual images posted due to the discussions on various latest and 'greatest' gear.

I'd like to mention a few images that caught my eye.

Chase posted some images of the daredevil stunts.
original post: http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42150&p=439704#p439704
This image is interesting because of the background elements. I think the casual look of the lonely spectator with the car parked in the background gives a comical feel making the stunt somewhat of a caricature. This image shows the comical reality of life itself. Ourselves are represented by the rider who thinks very highly of himself while the reality is represented by the spectator whose view the rider will never experience..... :twisted: In any case, it's always nice to talk about art; as we have discovered. If you didn't see all this, then that's kewl because I think the scale, composition etc tells a nice story about how the rider jumped over the truck. :violin:

Ozimax showed us the glory of the Vatican with a god-ray. I'd better not make any artistic remarks about this as people may interpret these things in various ways and potentially get offended. I like the amount of detail, exposure and somewhat unusual composition which opened my eye somewhat as I would have usually thought the light-ray to cause discord within the flow of the overall image.
original link: http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42169&p=439792&hilit=rome#p439792

However there can only be one POTW and this goes to Pirostich with the picture of the dancers. It's an image with layers and a story which is made timeless by the BW. Congrats Pirostich.

posted on 52 frames http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=42152&p=439858#p439858

Thanks Gary for giving me ample warning to choose this week's POTW. :wink:
surenj

Re: POTW 7.3.2012

Postby Matt. K on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Good choice Suren and congrats to Pirostich. It's an excellent image with 3 layers of content but little detail. I love the figure in the background, which almost looks like a wooden artists model and I love how the females white T-shirt visible at her waist is so important to the composition. Well done to the other 2 posters also. You gave the winner a run for his money.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks for the Potw. Love the Vatican pic by ozi!
PiroStitch

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 am

I missed this first time round. Great image
Well done Pirostitch.
Mr Darcy

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am

Some excellent images.

Congrats Piro & a difficult job done well by Suren.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby biggerry on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Nice choice, well spotted. Good image well done.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Picture of the Week