Epson V700 Optimal Settings - any advice?

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Epson V700 Optimal Settings - any advice?

Postby samester on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Hey gang,

Bit the bullet and purchased an Epson V700 - just getting used to all the settings - does anyone have any suggestions for the optimal settings they've found to maximise the scanning of 35mm slides.

I've moved the spacers to 3.5mm and am scanning at 9600dpi in high res jpg - pics are ok but wondering if there's something else i can do to extract more from the scanner.

Many thanks,
Sam
samester

Re: Epson V700 Optimal Settings - any advice?

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:54 pm

I normally scan all of my 35mm stuff at 2400 dpi which allows me a reasonable A3 sized print, but depends on what you want from the scan. Check out this site for a comprehensive review and some tips. http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/intera ... page_1.htm
By the way...congratulations on getting a fine scanner. My work V700 has scanned 10,000 negs without missing a beat and is still going strong.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: Epson V700 Optimal Settings - any advice?

Postby samester on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 am

thanks mate, appreciate the post.

i did happen across a page in that site a while back but didn't realise there were many other pages also.

one thing i'm finding with my scans is that when i pixel peep at 100% there is quite a bit of noise and the images seem quite soft - this is when scanning mounted velvia 50 slides at 6400 dpi. i honestly don't know what to benchmark the scan against so naturally when i compare to a tack sharp shot out of my D300 viewed at 100% then i immediatelythink the scan is suboptimal. does this seem normal or could you suggest what a film scan at 100% would look like.

many thanks,
sam
samester

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging