Enlarger options

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Enlarger options

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 am

This is probably not the most appropriate place for this, but, if anyone has any informed opinions, I would appreciate comments on the preference out of these two enlargers for both 35mm and 6cm film sizes:

LPL C7700 (with peripherals for about $200)
Omega Chromega C760 (with peripherals for $95 on the auction site).

Both come with 50mm lenses but I would need to purchase 75/80mm lenses.

I only plan on B&W at this stage, acknowledging they are both colour enlargers.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Enlarger options

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 am

Either would be good, Patrick.

TBH, the Omega, if it sits at that sort of pricing, is a no-brainer decision.

What does "peripherals" mean? Timer? Safelight? Trays, tongs? Or maybe just a transformer?

Wish I had room for a wet darkroom. Then I'd need even more time ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 am

gstark wrote:Either would be good, Patrick.

TBH, the Omega, if it sits at that sort of pricing, is a no-brainer decision.

What does "peripherals" mean? Timer? Safelight? Trays, tongs? Or maybe just a transformer?

Wish I had room for a wet darkroom. Then I'd need even more time ...

Thanks Gary

Peripherals for the LPL package consist of trays, tongs, a waterbath for chemicals and some form of roller developing tank. The Omega kit includes safelight, Hauck timer, trays, easel, tongs, etc.

I failed to mention (based on my understanding and pending confirmation): the Omega will require the relevant negative carrier whereas the LPL has an adjustable carrier, I believe. Happy to be corrected.

My plan is to use one of the boys' bedrooms as a wet darkroom - I have read nothing to indicate that the use of chemicals will have any impact on small children :). Seriously, we have a space downstairs that will be perfectly ideal (or ideally perfect) for a darkroom.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 am

Reschsmooth wrote:I failed to mention (based on my understanding and pending confirmation): the Omega will require the relevant negative carrier whereas the LPL has an adjustable carrier, I believe. Happy to be corrected.

That sounds reasonable to me, and suggests that the Omega will come with a 35mm carrier. That may be something to check with the sellers though; without the relevant carrier, you're just buying a copy stand without the lights. :)

And the question of how readily you might be able to get the 60mm carrier for the Omega comes to mind.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 am

gstark wrote:And the question of how readily you might be able to get the 60mm carrier for the Omega comes to mind.

Well, no it doesn't but the question of whether I want to spend USD80 on said carrier, plus shipping from the US does. :biglaugh: There is the question of the 'mixing chamber' for the Omega enlarger required for 60mm negs that differs for the 35mm neg chamber. Additional questions I have posed to the vendor.

Oh, and Gary, if you come along to the coffee meet (date to be confirmed), I may have this up and running at that time, just possibly. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:49 am

Reschsmooth wrote: There is the question of the 'mixing chamber' for the Omega enlarger required for 60mm negs that differs for the 35mm neg chamber. Additional questions I have posed to the vendor.

MY recollection may be wrong, but I suspect that's a question that's only relevant for colour processing, and might not be an issue while you're playing in the mono sandpit.

Oh, and Gary, if you come along to the coffee meet (date to be confirmed), I may have this up and running at that time, just possibly. :D

Hmmmm .... :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Omega. LPL was kind of a cheaper brand. Omega was common in professional darkrooms.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks Matt

I have also found an instruction manual for both the basic elarger and the dichroic head, which is good.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Did my first print tonight... I am hooked. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Did my first print tonight... I am hooked.

Congrats! :cheers:
surenj

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Did my first print tonight... I am hooked. :D

:)

:bowdown:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 am

It does that to people. Happened to me.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:02 am

Matt. K wrote:It does that to people. Happened to me.

Not that I want one, but is there a cure?
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Patrick...when can I come over to play?

Actually I have some left over Ilford MG 8x10 and maybe some 5x7 from the photo courses I did a few years back that should still be ok to use...if you want the paper let me know
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Sorry...it's terminal. :cry:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 am

Don't be sorry, Matt. Happy to be bitten by the bug.

I may restructure my darkroom to another room that may provide more space. If I do, I may try to organise a printing meet. I have 3 film developing tanks so we can even organise an afternoon film shoot and development and then print in the evening when the film is dry. Perhaps. :D

Cameron, PM sent.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging