60's nikon F photomic how to

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

60's nikon F photomic how to

Postby rex on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:58 am

hi guys.i just got this model at hand. it is so worn out: chipped corners, edges, gaskets replaced. i suspect it has been passed around different owners several times. question is when you wind the advance lever WITHOUT film inside, isnt it suppose to release the shutter when button is pressed? ive been doing this from other rangefinder and SLR and the shutter flicks even without film. AFAIK it's supposed to be cocked only once when you crank the advance lever. this time i can crank it many times. could there be some sort of broken sear inside or this model works like this without a film.

what other malfunctions should be aware of?

TIA
rex

Re: 60's nikon F photomic how to

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 am

Occam's razor - check that the advance/rewind ring around the shutter button is set to A. If set to R, it will not cock the shutter. My versions will cock the shutter when you advance the film wind lever when set to A.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:45 am

:agree: What Patrick said!

Beautiful cameras though....hope this one is in working order or can be restored to working order inexpensively
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby rex on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:30 am

thanks for response guys. i follow Reschsmooth's tip and it's normally working . though i may have to return this anyway. it will be hard to look for other parts manufactured before i was born. other than the lenses and other accessories, this time the meter needle doesnt and never will work coz it turns out it uses a mercury type battery cell which is obsolete and prohibited. any sub will ruin the metering coz of hi volt.

thanks .. till then
rex

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 am

I have a different meter head that also uses the mercury battery. However, I have substituted another battery (via the repair man) and it works alright. You can also try the "air" batteries.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:38 am

rex wrote:.

thanks for response guys. i follow Reschsmooth's tip and it's normally working . though i may have to return this anyway. it will be hard to look for other parts manufactured before i was born. other than the lenses and other accessories, this time the meter needle doesnt and never will work coz it turns out it uses a mercury type battery cell which is obsolete and prohibited. any sub will ruin the metering coz of hi volt.

thanks .. till then

Don't give up yet...If your location is still current I am sure you will be able to find someone that can help you within the camera repair community over in HK.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging