Canberra zoo 15th Jan

Items of local interest for those in the national capital.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canberra zoo 15th Jan

Postby DebT on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:11 am

Hi, I am having an unexpected mini break to Canberra 15th & 16th with my son (8) and planning on doing the zoo & aquarium on the 15th and city sites on the 16th (fly out at 1600)

So any hints on getting the most from the opportunity appreciated .
Need to travel light so was thinking of 17-55 2.8, 70-200 @ 1.4X ...and of course 40D ..
like I said all hints from locals or those who have been there done that really appreciated
Deb T
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Re: Canberra zoo 15th Jan

Postby Killakoala on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Autumn is best for photographic ops in Canberra when the trees change colours, but that's not helpful to you.

A walk along Lake Burley Griffin, on the Parliament House side, in and out of the shade of the beautiful trees is nice. There's ample parking near the science museum (maybe not as it's school hols still.)

I would suggest you take a hat and sunscreen tomorrow as it's going to be very hot.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby foonji on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 pm

This month Im gathering... Im going to be there for 3 weeks in Feb..
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby DebT on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Killakoala,
HOT !!! sure was ...not to mention the 40k wind ..
We still did the zoo at opening time and it was better than I expected. I'm just starting to look at my shots but got some great lounging pandas, feeding cheetas, playful white lions and real close up giraffe shots ..my only disapointment from the day is the wind meant the animal fur was moving around too much so the shots aren't as crisp as I would have liked. Spent some time doing panarama shots from the Telstra tower during the afternoon so expect to have a couple of classic postcard shots. Today we did the 'bus tour' and questiacon so have the usual happy snaps.
I can see from the type of trees planted that Autum will be spectacular so we will difinately be planning a week then so may get back to you before tat for ome more usefulol hints
Thanks for the response DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Return to Canberra