Rally of Canberra

Items of local interest for those in the national capital.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Rally of Canberra

Postby christiand on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Hi folks,

Some of us Canberrans are planning to go to the Rally of Canberra on Sunday 24 April.
The Rally is an international event and viewing points are plenty.
Anyone interested please look at: http://www.roc.com.au/

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby MHD on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:17 pm

When (and where) do we need to get tickets???

I am interested!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby kipper on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:40 pm

Hmmm......wonder if I have and RDO monday :)

Oh look at that Anzac Day monday. RDO Tuesday.
Do you need to purchase tickets or is it find a peice of road and claim it?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby christiand on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi,

I believe you need to purchase a ticket.
Some viewing points sell tickets and you may also be able to get ticket(s) through ticketek.
If you are planning to come to CBR, please let us know !
No secretly sneeking in business !!!, like someone !!!

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby Thommo on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:22 pm

sounds like alot of fun
Thommo

Postby daniel_r on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:22 pm

christiand,

I dont know if you had a look at this page the other day, but the directions may come in handy if you're still planning a "recon mission" this weekend.

I'm looking at purchasing the 2 day ticket for $35.

(MHD: from the mini meet on the weekend, I take it that you no longer have a car... if you need a lift let me know nearer the event)
daniel_r

Postby cordy on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:09 am

Hmm ok

I've been attending ROC for quite a few years and personally last year I was quite dissapointed with the offered spectator points. But here is a summary of the speccy points offered for those who dont know them

Spectator points over the TWO days

SPECTATOR POINT A – Greenhills I & II - Not real close to the cars, you are going to need at least a 300mm lense.. not really great spectator stages IMO

SPECTATOR POINT B – Kowen South I & II, Kowen North I & II - Quite good stages for spectating, probably get away with a 70-200mm lense

SPECTATOR POINT C – Bluetts I - Probably my favourite stage out of the offered spectator points. You are real close to the cars, the sweep left past the spectator point and you are about 20mtrs away tops (you can figure out what sort of lense you need from that :D )

SPECTATOR POINT D – Fairbairn Park Super Special Stage - If you want to get cars going over the jump, you are going to need at least a 300mm lense. Also, be weary of where the sun is - it can *really* show up on cars going over the jump with sunspots

Im not going to go into Bluett's II or Keefs I & II, they are pretty much the same as above

SPECTATOR POINT F – Mineshaft - Well this is probably the best know stage in ROC. If you want a good posy, make sure you get there EARLY and be prepared for lense lust hehe

Make sure you use UV filters, its better to scratch a $20 filter than a $300 lense :D because, believe me you will be removing dirt and dust from things for the weeks to come hehe

oh and of course there is also this:

Friday 22 April
Ceremonial Start in Garema Place, Canberra City (off Bunda Street) at 6.00pm. Preceded by rally show, meet the drivers and autograph signings from 4.00pm.
cordy

Postby christiand on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:19 pm

Hi Cordy,

thanks a lot for your response.
You suggsted to get to the mineshaft early.
How early and what lens(es) would you suggest ?
Can you get an entry ticket on the spot ?

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:34 pm

Yeah I thought UV filters would be a must. I was even considering multistacked UV :)

20meters? God Aussie Rally Car sounds so pussy to the rest of the world. I used to be a big follower of WRC and always remembered seeing the cars come flying over hills and the spectators would be like 5M if that from the track. Guess I'd have to go to some place like Portugal or Spain for stupid rally car action :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

risk

Postby christiand on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:43 pm

Hi Kipper,

closer to the action, closer to the risk of being hit and getting killed.
I prefer a lens that gets me close to the action and keeps me away from being hurt.

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby cordy on Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:06 pm

christiand wrote:Hi Cordy,

thanks a lot for your response.
You suggsted to get to the mineshaft early.
How early and what lens(es) would you suggest ?
Can you get an entry ticket on the spot ?

Cheers
CD

Hey

I would say at least a hour before the first car is due, if not a bit more. As for the lense, I would take something with at least the reach of a 300mm to get to the top of the mineshaft - you shoot from the bottom. The cars come straight at you pretty much and the ground just drops (and i mean DROPS :D ) away from the cars.

EDIT: looking at my pics from last year u should be right with a 300mm

heres a sample from last year. It was run at about 10am so light was in the worst possible spot. This year i think its run at 2pm so should be much better

http://www.users.on.net/cordia/ms.jpg - 285mm

I cant remember if u can get tickets on the spot but I would assume so. I usually get my tickets from tickettek a few days before the event.

As for not being so close, its at your best interest - its common sense. Those stages in WRC you would probably no doubt know people have been killed by cars coming off the track and believe me, whilst the power these cars from the Asia Pacific rounds have is not quite as much as the WRC cars its very easy to come off the track.

Anymore questions please dont hesitate to ask :D

Cheers

Chris
cordy

Return to Canberra