Canberra Visit

Items of local interest for those in the national capital.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canberra Visit

Postby cameraguy21773 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:56 am

Very kind Gary. I thought that, if I am improperly enrolled, I might be able to correspond with a few of you via email for a time before I arrive.

I like all kinds of photography but especially anything outdoors, landscapes and macro/close ups being my favorites. I am planning to bring 2 D70 bodies, Sigma 12-24, 24-60, 70-200, 150 macro, 400 macro, flashes, tripod, monopod, converters, etc. I think this group will work for whatever I encounter.

Thanks again &

regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD
cameraguy21773

Re: Canberra Visit

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:00 am

cameraguy21773 wrote:Very kind Gary. I thought that, if I am improperly enrolled, I might be able to correspond with a few of you via email for a time before I arrive.

I like all kinds of photography but especially anything outdoors, landscapes and macro/close ups being my favorites. I am planning to bring 2 D70 bodies, Sigma 12-24, 24-60, 70-200, 150 macro, 400 macro, flashes, tripod, monopod, converters, etc. I think this group will work for whatever I encounter.

Thanks again &

regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

Welcome Mike!
And also great to hear that you're coming to Down Under soon.
If you have a chance and opportunity, pop in one of the mini meets in Canberra or Sydney.
:lol: :lol: BTW, Sigmand Friends/ Sigma Chairman might join with you at 2:00am Sigma prayer at the mini meet.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Re: Canberra Visit

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:07 pm

cameraguy21773 wrote:Very kind Gary. I thought that, if I am improperly enrolled, I might be able to correspond with a few of you via email for a time before I arrive.

Thanks again &

regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

Mike,

No worries.

Rather than starting a new thread for every message, you can reply to any message in a thread by using the "reply" button that appears in the top right hand section of each message rendered.

What I suspect you'll find is that the people here will be able to offer all manner of suggestions, both photographically, and well beyond, and by keeping it public, others, who may in time be contemplating a similar journey to your's, can also benefit from the experience.

The kit that you're suggesting will certainly be adequate for pretty well any photographic task that you'll be likely to encounter, and it should certainly serve you well with respect to the photographic interests that you've expressed.

What will be bringing you down under - business or pleasure?

Coming from Maryland, I suspect that you would enjoy some good seafood. If so - and I'm presuming that you'll be spending a little bit of time in Sydney on your way through (which will likely be the case unless you're travelling with the Military) you should take some time to sample Sydney's seafood, which I consider to be second only in the world to fresh caught on the Mediterranean.

Of course, if you are travelling via the Military, then I'm sure that Birddog and KillaKoala will love to chat shop with you. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:11 pm

Mike - it will be great to meet up with another Sigma user and I am sure you will just looooovvvveeee Oz :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby cameraguy21773 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:00 pm

I retired from the US Air Force in 1993 (after 26 years in Intelligence, computerized radar and communications systems, and software development) and am a consultant specializing in computer-based training systems of all sorts. One of the software comapnies in Canberra is developing an application I am very interested in learning about so this is a business trip but I hope to find a few days on either end of it to see some of Sydney, Melbourne, and the Blue Mountains. My last trip to Oz was in 1969. I'm sure there have been a few changes.

I am hoping to sample some of that great Aussie seafood and compare it to our bluefish, Chesapeake crabs, etc. I really do not remember my last trip well as you might imagine.

regards
Mike
cameraguy21773

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:17 pm

cameraguy21773 wrote:I retired from the US Air Force in 1993 (after 26 years in Intelligence, computerized radar and communications systems, and software development) and am a consultant specializing in computer-based training systems of all sorts. One of the software comapnies in Canberra is developing an application I am very interested in learning about so this is a business trip but I hope to find a few days on either end of it to see some of Sydney, Melbourne, and the Blue Mountains. My last trip to Oz was in 1969. I'm sure there have been a few changes.

I am hoping to sample some of that great Aussie seafood and compare it to our bluefish, Chesapeake crabs, etc. I really do not remember my last trip well as you might imagine.

regards
Mike

Mike,
If you have a chance to get into Sydney, PM me and I'll give you my mobile phone number, pop in and we'll have a talk. Very interesting.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:17 pm

cameraguy21773 wrote:I retired from the US Air Force in 1993 (after 26 years in Intelligence, computerized radar and communications systems, and software development) and am a consultant specializing in computer-based training systems of all sorts.

Mike,

Then you will have lots to talk about with Birddog. Killa will still be at sea during your visit, but yes, both Sydney and melbourne should be musts for you if you can swing the time.

I always try to schedule my business trips with some slack time at one, if not either, end so that I can learn something of the regions I've visited.

The only times I couldn't do that were most of my visits to NY (just too busy) and my one into your neighbourhood, DC actually, where we took our cab from Reagan National, dropped our luggage at the hotel, and proceded around the corner to meetings at the Dept of Housing.

so this is a business trip but I hope to find a few days on either end of it to see some of Sydney, Melbourne, and the Blue Mountains. My last trip to Oz was in 1969. I'm sure there have been a few changes.

Just a couple. The Opera House is now completed, for one thing, but the Cross is dirtier than you may recall, and nowhere near as lively.

I'm presuming that in 69 you might have been visiting from VN on R&R? If that's the case, then there are probably several reasons why you don't remember too much from that trip.

I'm quite sure we can point you in the direction of some truly great seafood. The one word of warning I would give in that regard is Doyles. It's lauded in all of the tourist mags; it's utter crap, and best avoided at all costs. It's the Gallo of seafood. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:18 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
cameraguy21773 wrote:I retired from the US Air Force in 1993 (after 26 years in Intelligence, computerized radar and communications systems, and software development) and am a consultant specializing in computer-based training systems of all sorts. One of the software comapnies in Canberra is developing an application I am very interested in learning about so this is a business trip but I hope to find a few days on either end of it to see some of Sydney, Melbourne, and the Blue Mountains. My last trip to Oz was in 1969. I'm sure there have been a few changes.

regards
Mike

Mike,
If you have a chance to get into Sydney, PM me and I'll give you my mobile phone number, pop in and we'll have a talk. Very interesting.

Bingo!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby christiand on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:01 am

Hi Mike,

have a great time in Canberra.
Let us know of your schedule when it gets a bit closer.
I'm working during the week and will be heading overseas on the 26th of August.
We might be able to touch base during one evening.

Cheers,
CD
christiand

Postby Willy wombat on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:22 pm

Hi Mike

Here is a basic list of some ideas for shooting around Canberra (off the top of my head). If you want something specific let me know and i will see what i can come up with.

Also - If you are looking for a guide let me know (send me a message) closer to your arrival and if i am free i could tag along. I would like to check out your kit too.

For animals
National zoo and aquarium. Good cats (pumas, lions, tigers, cheaters, snow leopards, jaguar). Nice brown bears too.

Bird life
Lots of parrots and cockatoos can be found whilst wandering the suburbs.
Aquatic birds can be found in the Jerabombera wetlands

Plant life
Canberra botanical gardens. Lots of native Australian plants. (Also a good place for birds).
The rose gardens near old parliament house would also be good, but i dont think they will be in bloom when you arrive (it being winter over here)

An overview of Canberra
Walking around Lake Burley Griffin can give some nice shots
Mount Ainslie, Red hill
Black moluntain (including Telstra tower lookout).

Interesting arcitecture
Old parliment house, National library.

As you have an interest in military-type things, you also might like to check out the Australian War Memorial. Im not sure if they permit photography inside, but you will find it interesting never-the-less. Lots of historic information and examples of military equipment. Can be a bit draining though.

If you want something specific i am happy to provide more suggestions.
Willy wombat

Postby cameraguy21773 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:47 am

Thanks.

I am reading everything I can find that's not too tourist oriented - histories, travel writing, etc. I'm sure some questions will come to mind.

I travel frequently and generally stay away from travel guides as they always direct you to where everybody goes or to their advertisers. I like to go where the local people go and eat where they eat. Just seems to make sense to me.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
cameraguy21773

Postby Willy wombat on Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:00 am

Ahh right Mike,

Perhaps stay clear of the zoo and the war memorial if you dont like crowds and touristy areas. 8) The botanical gardens would be my bet (if you are a naturalist) or old parliament house if you are a history buff. There is also a very good national archives in Canberra (for history) which wouldnt yield a lot of photo opportunities, but might fill in a few blanks for you regarding Australian history betrween 1969 and present :wink: .

Just to clarrify, i wasnt offering to be a tourist "guide" as such just someone to tag along and have a chat, etc. :)
Willy wombat

Postby cameraguy21773 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:03 pm

I'd be pleased to spend some time with you. Please don't get wrong the idea. It's just that I do avoid the more touristy places in most of my travels unless they have something especially interesting.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

cameraguy21773

Still Coming

Postby cameraguy21773 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:31 pm

So far my plans are to arrive in Sydney on the night of the 19th and spend the day of the 20th in Sydney. I have to be in Canberra for a meeting sometime around midday Sunday the 21st. I'd be pleased to meet anyone that might be on a shoot somewhere in Sydney. If not, then I'd also be glad to buy someone (anyone? ... everyone?) a coffee, talk photography, and swap lies.

I'll be in Canberra from 22 to 25 August. Hoping to have some free time and some daylight in the afternoons to get some shooting done there. Willy Wombat - I'll be staying at the Crown Plaza.

August 26-28 will be free time and I hope to spend Fri the 26th in the Blue Mountains and Sat/Sun, 27th and 28th in Melbourne. Again, I'd be happy to meet up with someone who might be out for a shoot either day.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

cameraguy21773

Re: Still Coming

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:49 pm

cameraguy21773 wrote:So far my plans are to arrive in Sydney on the night of the 19th and spend the day of the 20th in Sydney. I have to be in Canberra for a meeting sometime around midday Sunday the 21st. I'd be pleased to meet anyone that might be on a shoot somewhere in Sydney. If not, then I'd also be glad to buy someone (anyone? ... everyone?) a coffee, talk photography, and swap lies.

I'll be in Canberra from 22 to 25 August. Hoping to have some free time and some daylight in the afternoons to get some shooting done there. Willy Wombat - I'll be staying at the Crown Plaza.

August 26-28 will be free time and I hope to spend Fri the 26th in the Blue Mountains and Sat/Sun, 27th and 28th in Melbourne. Again, I'd be happy to meet up with someone who might be out for a shoot either day.

cameraguy21773
Would like to meet you at the mini meet on the 20th August! and having fun with the gang of Sydney.
PM me once you're in Sydney.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby cameraguy21773 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:14 pm

Will do and thanks for the invite.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

cameraguy21773

Re: Still Coming

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:29 am

Birddog114 wrote:cameraguy21773
Would like to meet you at the mini meet on the 20th August! and having fun with the gang of Sydney.

Exactly my thoughts.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

I'm in Canberra

Postby cameraguy21773 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:38 pm

I am in Canberra and stqying at the Crown Plaza Hotel. If any of you local to Canberra would like to meet and talk and shoot, I'd be pleased to do so. I'm in room 105 and the hotel number is 2 6247 8999 and the address is 1 Binara St.

regards
Mike Parker
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

cameraguy21773

Re: I'm in Canberra

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:50 pm

cameraguy21773 wrote:I am in Canberra and stqying at the Crown Plaza Hotel. If any of you local to Canberra would like to meet and talk and shoot, I'd be pleased to do so. I'm in room 105 and the hotel number is 2 6247 8999 and the address is 1 Binara St.

regards
Mike Parker

I thought you would come to the mini meet yesterday as you mentioned earlier :?: :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby cameraguy21773 on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:55 am

I thought so too. As it turned out, I'm traveling with a co-worker who is not interested in photography and I felt some obligation to see Sydney with him. My apologies, it was kind of a last minute thing.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

cameraguy21773

Postby stubbsy on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:19 am

cameraguy21773 wrote:I thought so too. As it turned out, I'm traveling with a co-worker who is not interested in photography and I felt some obligation to see Sydney with him. My apologies, it was kind of a last minute thing.

Hey there's always next time.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby MHD on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:55 am

I hope you enjoy your stay Mike... Unfortunately my week is kind of crazy...

Some suggestions:
Beer at the Wig and Pen
Visit both telstra tower and Mt Ainslee
Do the parliement house tour (free)
Wander around the gardens of parliment house
Visit the botanic gardens (a must if you have a macro lens)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Return to Canberra