Canon 550D or 60D

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 550D or 60D

Postby rassy on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi, I've been studying photography and saving to buy a good SLR in the $1200-1500 range and the two I've come down to are the 550D or the 60D.

Is the 60D significantly better? The 550D is lighter and has most features for a bottom end mid-range DSLR, is it worth the extra for the faster fps and display features?

Would appreciate any feedback you have :)

Thanks!
rassy

Re: Canon 550D or 60D

Postby surenj on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Rassy, it's pretty impossible to answer your question unless you provide bit of a bio. Especially your experience and intended shooting subjects etc... The longer your answer, the better someone could help you.

Also check digitalrev review on youtube as well as others...

Good luck.
surenj

Postby hark40 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:05 pm

I agree with Surenj's response in that a little more will be useful.

A couple of other features that the 60D has over the 550D which made, at least for me, the decision to buy the 60D easier.

* The 60D has a larger viewfinder and it has a higher coverage (but not by much though.)
* The 60D has an articulated screen. Although some people feel that it is useless, I have found it handy for getting different angles on shots. eg holding the camera up high or holding it down lower to the ground or holding the camera over a handrail to get a shot of water falling down off a dam.
* The 60D is physically larger than the 550D and feels better in my hands. I had a 350D and needed a battery pack so that the 350D was comfortable for me to hold. Adding a battery grip to the 550D started bringing the cost up to the 60D. (Sometimes smaller is not better)

There are lots of reviews around on the net comparing the two cameras. dpreview is another website that has some review on the 60D and 550D.
Canon 60D, 50 1.8, 24-105L IS, 100-400L IS, Sigma 10-20mm etc
I'd put something witty here, but I just can't think of anything....
hark40

Postby Div on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 am

Hi Rassy,

I went through the same decision a few months ago. I went into teds and used both cameras.

I actually found the 550D alot nicer to use and felt better. (if i was using very heavy glass though i think the grip on the 60D is better)

But for an all day camera the 550D is hard to go passed. I think it does everything a camera needs to for my needs.

Noise is excellent in low light. Settings are fast and simple to change (well the major ones i use anyway) Iso, A, S, focus points etc.

I agree though that the articulated screen would be nice. Sometimes when i'm lying on the ground trying to frame a photo i think jeeze it'd be nice to have an articulated screen to live view this =)

In my opinion always by the simplest camera body you can and spend more money on good lenses.

-Dave
Div

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Ahem, apparently 600D is just across the corner....
surenj

Return to Canon Corral