Canon 6D. Full Frame Goodness

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 am

Yesterday evening, Canon announced their 6D - a scaled back 5D3.

Canon's Press Release wrote:SYDNEY, 17 September, 2012 – Canon Australia has today announced the new EOS 6D Digital SLR camera, a versatile and compact mid-range Full-Frame camera offering a level of image quality, performance and creative options that serious photographers crave, but many have regarded as out of their reach.

“The new EOS 6D completes a well-rounded ecosystem of Canon imaging devices from input through to output, allowing us to provide the right combination of features and performance to a broader group of enthusiast photographers,” says Chris Macleod, Brand Manager ­– Canon EOS, Canon Australia. “The EOS 6D opens up the advantages of Full-Frame photography to a less involved audience by offering an easier-to-use Full Frame camera in a more compact and lightweight body, meaning they can upgrade with ease and enjoy the benefits of Canon Full-Frame photography.

“Together with our new PIXMA Pro printers announced today, the EOS 6D Digital SLR camera will help serious photographers realise and express their creative vision in the highest quality possible.”

Building on the qualities that made the EOS 5D Mark II camera so successful, the new EOS 6D bridges the gap for budget-minded photographers who are eager to step up into the world of Full Frame imaging. Canon has coupled the incredible image quality of a newly designed 20.2-megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor and DiG!C 5+ Image Processor, with the creative potential of built-in Wi-Fi and GPS features. The camera also includes an 11-point AF array and 63-zone dual-layer iFCL metering sensor together with 1080p Full HD video capabilities, in an affordable camera body.

Positioned between the EOS 7D and the EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS 6D offers an advanced feature set including full manual options for creative control in addition to new and intuitive automatic settings to help budding photographers capture great images. Among the many advancements in Canon’s new EOS 6D is the proprietary DiG!C 5+ Image Processor, which powers the camera’s fast 14-bit analogue-to-digital conversion for exceptionally smooth colour tones and gradation. The camera offers a Full Frame, 20.2-megapixel CMOS sensor and continuous shooting up to 4.5 frames per second (fps) for up to 1250 IX full-resolution JPEGs or up to 17IX RAW images in a single burst.

The EOS 6D is the most lightweight Full-Frame D-SLR in the world equipped with a full frame CMOS sensor[1]. Similar in size and weight (only 15g more) to the APS-C sized sensor-equipped Canon EOS 60D[ii], the new EOS 6D’s compact and lightweight design enables an easy step up from lower enthusiast and entry-level cameras.

Leigh has already had a play with the 6D, and says that it's a very nice piece of kit.

FTR, I'm currently playing with a 5D3, and I'm finding that to be a very nice camera too. Much nicer than I expected.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Canon 6D. Full Frame Goodness

Postby aim54x on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

The 5DIII is a nice unit. I have had a good play, and if it had a F-mount bayonet on it I would have opted to wait for it that over the D700 that I purchased in March. It has some quirks but it is a very nice camera.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm really surprised at how nice it feels in the hand.

Compared to earlier 5D models, and to pretty well most of the xD and xxD range, it truly feels to me as if the 5D has grown up and become an adult.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:09 am

gstark wrote:I'm really surprised at how nice it feels in the hand.

Are you really talking about a camera Gary :rotfl2:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby surenj on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:55 am

The 5D called; It doesn't want to be re-branded as a bad focusing 6D. :mrgreen: 60D meanwhile has got a superiority complex with it's swiwel LCD. The 5d3 is wondering where the extra 15 megapixies went. :roll: Meanwhile, 6D is in the dark with it's viewfinder.
surenj

Postby aim54x on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 am

surenj wrote:The 5D called; It doesn't want to be re-branded as a bad focusing 6D. :mrgreen: 60D meanwhile has got a superiority complex with it's swiwel LCD. The 5d3 is wondering where the extra 15 megapixies went. :roll: Meanwhile, 6D is in the dark with it's viewfinder.

But the 5D II was already a bad focusing camera! The 60D should envy the full frame goodness, and the 5D III should feel good that it hasn't been dethroned as the top pixel body in the line up. Sadly the 6D really does seem like a re-packaged 5D II
Cameron
aim54x

Postby chrisk on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm

it looks half assed imho.
apart from the 5dIII im not particualry thrilled with anything on offer right now over a d700.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby ozimax on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 pm

aim54x wrote:But the 5D II was already a bad focusing camera!

I think you're being a tad cruel here Cameron. :wink: Used simply with centre spot focusing, it did a pretty good job for most things, but yes, it's focusing capabilities were maybe a little primitive.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 am

ozimax wrote:
aim54x wrote:But the 5D II was already a bad focusing camera!

I think you're being a tad cruel here Cameron. :wink: Used simply with centre spot focusing, it did a pretty good job for most things, but yes, it's focusing capabilities were maybe a little primitive.

My point was that the 5D/5D II are already "bad" focusing cameras, the 6D couldn't be worse in reference to Surenj's comment.

surenj wrote:The 5D called; It doesn't want to be re-branded as a bad focusing 6D.

Realistically, all full frame cameras suffer from lack of AF coverage (I have been spoiled by the D300), and although I primarily use the centre focus points, I do on occasion use the AF points in the periphery. Compared to the D700 and the A900/A850 the 5D II was (and still is) the weakest in AF of all the full frame cameras in its class. Compared to the 5DIII, the 5DII is incredibly primitive/basic/bad for AF.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 am

aim54x wrote:Compared to the 5DIII, the 5DII is incredibly primitive/basic/bad for AF.

Which is why I don't want to play with a 5Diii. My credit card is almost payed off. :D
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm

ozimax wrote:
aim54x wrote:Compared to the 5DIII, the 5DII is incredibly primitive/basic/bad for AF.

Which is why I don't want to play with a 5Diii. My credit card is almost payed off. :D

I know what you mean...I am glad that the D800 excited me....meant I could settle for a D700 and spend the difference on glass (a big chunk of my 17-35mm f/2.8) and now that the non-exciting (to me) D600 has arrived, I am still still happy and free from buyers remorse (which was creeping into my mind when the D600 specs started arriving).
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Cameron, I have one more Canon lens to sell (24-105), to pay for my new Olympus 75mm F1.8, which I will collect this afternoon. By all accounts (and with a few test shots I took last week) it is a spectacular lens, and should hold/increase it's value very nicely. I noticed these have gone up on Amazon to $1100 USD in recent days. That doesn't happen with lens very often.

Ozi.
ozimax

Postby TonyT on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 am

the 5D II was (and still is) the weakest in AF of all the full frame cameras in its class. Compared to the 5DIII, the 5DII is incredibly primitive/basic/bad for AF.[/quote]

Thats why I never upgraded I didn't think more pixels was a upgrade. AF is want I after therefore the 5D111 is a upgrade for me come on xmas.
TonyT

Postby surenj on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 pm

The 5D2 called. It wants it's focus system back.
surenj

Postby Wink on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Doesn't it have the focus/metering system from the 7D?
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby photohiker on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:42 pm

ozimax wrote:my new Olympus 75mm F1.8, [..], and should hold/increase it's value very nicely.

Please let us know how that went. :D
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Wink wrote:Doesn't it have the focus/metering system from the 7D?

Not unless the 7D has the 11-point AF system.....sadly it looks like the 5D's system has been carried over.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Wink wrote:Doesn't it have the focus/metering system from the 7D?

With one cross type sensor, the only thing that happens is that the end user becomes cross that their full frame camera can't focus. :chook:
surenj

Postby Wink on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 am

Oh well. If its got the 5D system then is a waste of money compared to the current generation of cameras.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby surenj on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Yes Wink, This is the best way that Canon can insult it's customers (amateurs I guess as pros will be looking at 5d3 and 1dx which are fine specimens). Canon really strongly believes that the amateurs are stupid. They may well be right.

This is when you can use this chicken icon to it's full effectiveness; see :chook: . As stupid as a chook.
surenj

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm

surenj wrote:With one cross type sensor, the only thing that happens is that the end user becomes cross that their full frame camera can't focus.:

Just think - with an AF system this all 'new' camera has that's almost as good as my old D90 you too will be able to focus on anything dead centre of frame
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:45 pm

surenj wrote:Canon really strongly believes that the amateurs are stupid. They may well be right.

Despite the risk of starting a flame war, I can't help saying that the ones who buy Canon are. By definition. :P :P :P
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Wink on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Possibly.

Anyone looking at the 6D should just keep saving for a 5D3.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Return to Canon Corral