Remote causing camera malfunction

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Remote causing camera malfunction

Postby Victor03 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:41 pm

I am using a RS60-E3 cable remote on a Canon 60D, which generally gives me no trouble but I have experienced a malfunction twice while on a sunrise/ sunset shoot.

This morning I had been shooting in bulb mode until the light enabled Manual mode. The malfunction occurred after a few shots with Manual. Suddenly I had no playback of the image exposed and I could not activate the Playback button. Nor would the camera allow me to access the Menu. I tried turning the camera off and on, remove and reinstall the battery, even checked the SD card, all without success. I then pulled the remote out of its plug and hey presto, camera resumed normal operation. Plug the remote back in and the camera plays up again. It seems to activate the shutter but, then freezes all functions. I double checked that the remote switch was not locked in the "on" position.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Victor03

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell.
Victor03

Re: Remote causing camera malfunction

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Does the remote use its own battery? If so, what's the state of that battery?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Quick Google search shows that the RS80-E3 is not battery dependent....I would try that remote in another camera and if possible try another remote with your camera to see if you can replicate the issue, and work out if it is the camera or the remote.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Victor03 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:08 pm

Apologies everyone. After posting this thread I got caught up in other things and completely forgot about it.

This also meant that I have only very occasionally visited this site since then. Now I am back.

Thank you Garry and aim54x for taking the trouble to respond.

As you say, the (wired) remote is not battery dependent and I have only used it twice again on a dawn shoot without further incident.

Just have to wait and see if it happens again and note carefully the circumstances.

Again, my apologies.
Victor03

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell.
Victor03

Return to Canon Corral