Canon 5Ds & 5DsR

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 5Ds & 5DsR

Postby zafra52 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:36 am

It seems that these new cameras are breaking new grounds in digital photography. Let's see if they live up to their expectations.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5Ds.aspx

It will be interesting to see what is the reply from Nikon and other leader camera manufacturers. Another megapixel war?
zafra52

Re: Canon 5Ds & 5DsR

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Zafra...I've just had a look at this article...interesting, but to my mind digital cameras don't need to get any better. They are already superb picture making machines and what needs to improve is the skill of the photographers who use these products. It's all too easy to get into the mistaken frame of mind that better cameras will make us better picture makers....I've been a victim of exactly that myself....but it didn't work for me and I realized that I need to put more effort into being critical, thoughtful and creative. Sadly, that doesn't always work for me either. But I'm sure that that is where I need to make the greatest effort.
No the other hand, of course.....toys are nice. :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 pm

If I were in the market to get a new camera body at the moment I'd be seriously considering the toys that Sony are currently releasing.

The A7r and A7s look to rival some of the best dSLR's and the new A7r mkII that Sony have just announced looks to be even better.

The likes of Nikon and Canon need to do ALOT more than just try and one-up the 5D and 5Dr.

But Matt is spot on, no matter what camera you have it is only ever as good as the person controlling it.

Someone who knows what they are doing with a camera can make a cheaper camera shine, where someone that has little idea won't really gain any advantage over using the best camera available.

More megapixels have their place but they are certainly not the be-all-and-end-all. Especially when they try and pack more and more pixels onto the same sized sensor.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby zafra52 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:11 pm

I couldn't really agree more with you guys. It's the vision and technical expertise of the photographer and the subject matter is what makes the photograph. I have taken what I consider reasonably good photos with a $100 camera. Nevertheless, a photograph taken with a 50 Megapixel camera should have incredible detail, but unfortunately the sensors in these new cameras seem to be no larger than the Canon's 5D MK II or III. Still, we will wait and see for as you both say there is more to a camera than counting pixels.
zafra52

Return to Canon Corral