Canon R5 with EF lenses + adaptor - any AF delay?

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon R5 with EF lenses + adaptor - any AF delay?

Postby haring on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:10 pm

I am looking at the Canon R5 with my EF Canon lenses + adapter. I may not want to sell all my EF lenses and buy the new RF ones. If you have the camera and you are using it with the adapter and EF lenses, is there any difference compared to the RF lenses... Any AF delay or drawback? I get it. Canon wants us to buy the new RF lens lineup but I am wondering whether I can use my old lenses?
haring

Re: Canon R5 with EF lenses + adaptor - any AF delay?

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:36 am

Nobody in the world, save for a few journalists, are able to answer this question as the camera has only been announced, but is not yet in the hands of consumers.

That said, I've had a play with the earlier R series models, and was suitably impressed with the absence of any noticeable latency in the use of the camera. If anything, I'd expect an improvement, but please don't hold me to that.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby haring on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 am

gstark wrote:Nobody in the world, save for a few journalists, are able to answer this question as the camera has only been announced, but is not yet in the hands of consumers.

That said, I've had a play with the earlier R series models, and was suitably impressed with the absence of any noticeable latency in the use of the camera. If anything, I'd expect an improvement, but please don't hold me to that.

I think you are right. I have seen so many R5 reviews by superstar youtube testers.... I thought there are many sold already... :)
haring

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:32 am

haring wrote:I think you are right. I have seen so many R5 reviews by superstar youtube testers.... I thought there are many sold already... :)

I know I'm right. If you have a look at the press releases, you would too. :)

I suspect that some - perhaps many - of those youtube "testers" don't actually have full access either. I've seen many people at official announcements doing all manner of things. :)

But I'd be a little wary of some of them; they earn their money by getting eyeballs onto their youtube videos, not from actually making photos.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby haring on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:25 am

gstark wrote:
haring wrote:I think you are right. I have seen so many R5 reviews by superstar youtube testers.... I thought there are many sold already... :)

I suspect that some - perhaps many - of those youtube "testers" don't actually have full access either. I've seen many people at official announcements doing all manner of things. :)

But I'd be a little wary of some of them; they earn their money by getting eyeballs onto their youtube videos, not from actually making photos.

I know! Most of them are not about the cameras but selling the camera or advertisements to you... Many of them can not even take a decent photo or make a decent video....
haring

Postby ozimax on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm

gstark wrote:

Exactly. The "experts" that panned the EOS R were everywhere, jumping on the bandwagon and trashing the camera. I have found it to be a superbly capable allrounder with phenomenal autofocus.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Tiberius on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:44 pm

I've found the lenses I used on my 7D perform the same or better on my R5 with the adapter.
Tiberius

Postby haring on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:03 am

Tiberius wrote:I've found the lenses I used on my 7D perform the same or better on my R5 with the adapter.

So no complains, right? Fast and accurate?
haring

Return to Canon Corral