D70 repair AGAIN......

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D70 repair AGAIN......

Postby big pix on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:01 pm

Checking the battery in the D70 today, and it is fine........ but on replacement, turned on the camera and it wants the card formatted, so this done and I start to shoot off a few quick tests, camera does not work, says flat battery, remove battery and replace with spare, I get 'for' in the top view so format the card, shoot off a few frames and check the images, 'card contains no images', so replace card, format and camera comes to life, shoot test shots and they appear on the card. Check the first card in the D70s body works fine, put the first card back into the D70, format and shoot a few frames, the camera works, check images and, ' card contains no images', remove card and push in a little firmer, test shots, check card and I have images.

I removed the card and checked the fitting area of the D70 and the same area of the D70s, it appears that the area where the card fits in, is quite loose, along with the eject button when compared with the D70s. I am not impressed as this camera has only had around 100 shots since being repaired for BGLOD by Anderson Camera Repairs Qld.

Called Andersons to advise them of the fault and quoted my repair number. I asked if they have a pickup service in the Gold Coast area as it is an hours drive to drop off the camera, the only help I got was, I could pay for a courier or put the camera in a post collect parcel to Andersons office.

I am not impressed or have a lot of faith in Andersons Camera Repairs, and yes, I am going for a drive........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby stubbsy on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:07 pm

Bernie

Sounds like time for a D200 to me. I know I'm starting to give it some serious thought.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi Bernie
Sorry to hear of this new problem.
There was a recent post from tontoe which seems quite similar.
I hope Andersons get it fixed quickly for you.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby big pix on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:19 pm

Thanks ........ very similar, not reading battery, and not reading card, or not writing to card...... I just did not like Andersons don't care way of dealing with my phone call and I was quite calm.......but I did ask who was paying for my time to deliver and pickup the camera.......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby MATT on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:34 pm

Big pix, I jsut recieved mine back from andersons.

Took in total including post both ways (I paid postage and insurance$25) was only about 9 days. Pretty good turn around I thought.

Well thats were the compliments stop though I'm afraid.

Except that the cam is extreamly clean :D .

I had a number of faults I wanted them to look at. This the info I gave them.

1. USB connector fails to connect or disconnects at any time.I am using a card reader at this time but need it to work.
2. Seems to have auto focus problems, lots of pics with back focus and has trouble with all my lenses locking on to focus(24-120 VR,50 1.8,70-300Gand kit lens).
3. Periodicaly freezes and gets a "err" diplayed on the top LCD. Have to remove battary to reset.
4. Also info on the funny pic the cam took once(can be found in another thread)

Well what i got back as a tech report.

Clean USB port. Clean A/F sensor.Error has probably occured when release and preview switches have been activated at the same time. Test. Clean.

Well it was clean, but I plugged in the USB and hmm still has problems(have tried number of cables have to wiggle to get to work).
Still wont focus properly. Took some test shots using manual focus and Auto focus. Seems to be off to me.

Havnt had the err again yet. No more pink corrupt pics.

So I am not that impressed, dont know what i expected but ..

MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:03 am

Bernie,

I'd call their senior management and mention that (a) it seems that their repairs are not satisfactory, and (b) that the department of Fair Trading is just a phone call away.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon