More on the CAM1000 Autofocus module in D200

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

More on the CAM1000 Autofocus module in D200

Postby anubis on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:51 am

If anyone is interested....seems like Nikon is talking it up, lets ope we are not dissapointed.... :)

http://infodigitalcamera.blogspot.com/2005/11/nikon-d200-autofocus-sensor-module-cam.html
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby kipper on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:56 am

Just hope it's not all talk. I know Birddog wasn't overly impressed by his first use but maybe as he said it's because you need to get used to all of the varying modes that you can set.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

HI

Postby yeocsa on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:11 am

I would expect D200 AF to be between D100 and D1 or D2 series as there are too few cross sensors. Having said that, consideration must be given to which lens you are going to use with it - AF or AFS; with or without teleconverter ... these too will make significant impact.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Onyx on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:35 am

Despite the innovative 11std/7wide switchable AF points, it looks to be only the centre one is cross-hatched. While that should work alright in good light, it may miss quite a lot in lower light/low contrast situations - and with the already renouned high ISO quality of the D200, this could ultimlately cripple its usefulness for low light use. I really hope it's something special - the Nikon engineers/technicians are optimistic about its ability in comparison to the CAM-2000, I really wish to share their optimism.
Onyx

Postby kipper on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:45 am

Onyx, I think low contrast is ultimately where my frustration lies.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Onyx on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:00 pm

Darryl, start slaving and saving for the D2X in that case... the proven performer - and the choice of Reznick and Patterson of this world (one day, we hope to see Morgan joining the list of renouned wildlife photographers ;))
Onyx

Postby kipper on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:04 pm

Cheers, I will keep perservering with trying to get the D70 to perform. I know Moose and Rouse have got shots of fast movers using manual focus so I guess I should be trying. Although they obviously knew the flightpath well as it seemed to be a straight line right->left.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby robboh on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:26 am

The talk I have been seeing from 'hands on' accounts typically seem to suggest AF performance somewhere between F100 and D2x (though if that were the case, why put a 'lower' number on it than the CAM in the F5/F100). However, the scuttlebutt seems to be that Nikon have managed to do something a little special with the single direction sensors.

Onyx, I havent seen anyone decrying the high ISO's on the D200 as yet, in fact, most of the pics I have seen, the noise doesnt look too bad at all. Maybe not to Canon standards, but then what Nikon dSLR has ever reached Canon's noise standards.

Saying all that above, why dont we just wait until we actually see some reviews or shots from people that we actually trust to do a reasonable review, rather than the extremely shoddy pics weve all seen so far around the net.

Im sure all of us are salivating to get some real hard data and some real examples of what this camera can do (I know I am), but frankly, writing it off on various performance terms before its even been released is a bit over the top IMHO.
Smile; it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
robboh

Postby birddog114 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:37 am

Folks,
It's coming, stay calm and behave :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby robboh on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:19 am

Birddog114 wrote:Folks,
It's coming, stay calm and behave :wink:

Apologies, I was in a bit of a grumpy mood when I wrote my post above and it might not have quite come across how I meant it.

I know I certainly cant wait to start seeing some real results/reviews for this camera as it, on paper, appears to fix most/every frustration I have with the D70.
robboh

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:58 am

Robboh, nobody's writing off the D200 on any performance terms yet.

The truth is, the professional reviewers will do what they always do - produce favourable reviews of the camera. The unofficial leaked amateur shots available so far are more indicative of the camera in real world use when used by the typical inexperienced, and more closely reflect reality than the all scientific studio setup of mister Askey for instance.

Robboh, I wasn't decrying the high ISO on the D200 - in fact if you re-read my post above, it's quite the opposite. I was praising it based on images leaked/released seen so far. The contentious issue is how and whether Nikon manages to pull something out of their arses regarding improving contrast detection when the sensor only detect contrast in one axis, as the evidence so far suggests there is only 1 cross-hatched AF sensor in the centre. One can arguably emulate the effectiveness of using the non-centre AF points of a D70 by comparison for instance - in low light and/or low contrast situations, it becomes increasingly difficult for the AF to lock. But the D70's AF points are compounded with another issue - that of spacing, that makes the D200 a step forward at least.
Onyx

Postby robboh on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:52 pm

Onyx wrote:The truth is, the professional reviewers will do what they always do - produce favourable reviews of the camera. The unofficial leaked amateur shots available so far are more indicative of the camera in real world use when used by the typical inexperienced, and more closely reflect reality than the all scientific studio setup of mister Askey for instance.

Agreed, regards the 'favourable' reviews, though one could point out that there hasnt really been a real lemon released by any of the major manufacturers in years. They just may not always meet up to the standards of other models/makes in similar price brackets.

Robboh, I wasn't decrying the high ISO on the D200 - in fact if you re-read my post above, it's quite the opposite. I was praising it based on images leaked/released seen so far.

Apologies (I read your 'renouned' as renounced, not renowned) and I agree with you, the noise looks pretty good to me so far and the shots we have seen are more indicative of 'real world' results.

The contentious issue is how and whether Nikon manages to pull something out of their arses regarding improving contrast detection when the sensor only detect contrast in one axis, as the evidence so far suggests there is only 1 cross-hatched AF sensor in the centre. One can arguably emulate the effectiveness of using the non-centre AF points of a D70 by comparison for instance - in low light and/or low contrast situations, it becomes increasingly difficult for the AF to lock. But the D70's AF points are compounded with another issue - that of spacing, that makes the D200 a step forward at least.

Also definitely agree here. It will be interesting to see how it ends up in real life. The D70 is definitely not fantastic in this regard, though I still find the bigger pain there to be its accuracy as opposed to its speed at times.

With the added 2fps and NEF buffer, better handling (ie being able to choose focus modes without menus is a biggie for me), capability for a grip if wanted, bigger/brighter viewfinder, 10megapix, noncpu lens support etc, and I reckon Nikon have a winner on their hands. If that comes with substantially better AF performance over the D70 (which seems to be not in D2x leagues, but certainly ok) then thats icing on the cake I reckon!!
robboh

Return to Nikon