New Nikon 14-24 and fitting filters

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New Nikon 14-24 and fitting filters

Postby Bob G on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 am

I recently sold off 10 years or so of various filters I had collected in order to move on to the Lee Filter System and Lee and Singh Ray Filters.

About all I will use is a Circ. Pol. , ND's and GND's where an advantage is evident over PP.

I purchased the standard Lee Holder, a 77mm adapter ring, a B+W 105mm circular polariser and matching hood. These will fit 24-70 and 70-200 and 85mm 1.4 but I was not expecting it to fit the 14-24 (all Nikkor lenses btw)

I have read a lot of posts on several forums where individuals have bagged the brilliant new Nikon 14 to 24 lens for its inability to carry a filter system.

Well guess what !! The standard Lee filter holder without an adapter ring fitted is a lovely tight fit to just squeeze onto the permanent hood of the 14-24 lens. The hood is hard plastic but with enough give/spring in it to hold the filter holder nice and tight.

With 6 x 4 filter and 105mm polariser I am hopeful that any vignetting will be minimal. I will advise in due course once I have tried it.

Thought this info might be useful to some who are considering this lens or already have it and want to attach filters.
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Re: New Nikon 14-24 and fitting filters

Postby big pix on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:03 pm

Blue Tac has been a saver over many years, to hold larger filters onto lens when needed....... never leave home without a strip....
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby firsty on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:38 pm

it would be nice to see a photo of the filter holder etc. on the lens for reference (camera phone shot will do :) ) thanks
firsty

Postby radar on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Bob,

sorry for resurrecting an old post. Just wanted to know how this has worked out for you.

thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Nikon