Random "CHR" error from camera. Help!

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Random "CHR" error from camera. Help!

Postby Yi-P on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm getting some random "CHR" card reading/writing problems from my D2X recently.

I was shooting normally, but suddenly my camera just stopped responding and flashed "CHR" on the screen. Turning camera off, turning back on again (when the write light distinguished) fixed the problem. I lost all images I have on the queue to write to camera before the 'crash'.

I appeared that the problem is more 'replicable' when I have couple of images in the buffer and start another buffer queue and start viewing images at the same time.

I'm also shooting on a brand new 4GB Extreme 3 CF card (one that show "30MB/s" on the card) I just bought from d-d photographic. Didn't happen to me on the older series of the 4GB Extreme 3 CF.

Is it the card's or the camera's problem?? I've lost about dozen of somewhat important images from an event already.... :(
Yi-P

Re: Random "CHR" error from camera. Help!

Postby DJT on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:24 pm

I think it is a card problem. As I had a similar problem with my D70 a while back. I stopped using that card & didn't get the message again. The card was about a year old & only a 1gb one so didn't bother with going back to dd about it & I use it in a digital picture frame without any dramas
DJT

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:38 am

I used to get that problem with my D70, too. I just popped the card and put it back in firmly. I think it was the card not seated properly as it always went away after reseating the card. I continued to use the same cards for months with any issues (other than the occasional "CHR" which was resolved by reseating).
ATJ

Postby mrbishi on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Sorry to drag up this old topic but I occasionally get this on my D40 as well. I solve it by turning off the camera, taking the card out and then putting it back in firmly and it goes away. Haven't had any issues with the cards that have done this.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"- Mark Twain
mrbishi

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:29 pm

I resorted to go back to the dealer and exchanged the card with no question asked. The new card worked like a charm. It was a manufacturer problem for me.
Yi-P

Postby MatthewRoberts on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 pm

I also occasionally get this error too! :(

I pull the card out and blow on the gold contacts or wipe with my shirt then pop the card back in. I sometimes have to repeat this until error disappears. This crazy weather may play some part of the issue :?:
“ If you cannot explain it simply, you dont understand it well enough ”
Albert Einstein

D90 / D700 / SB-900 / 50mm 1.4G / 18-200mm / 24-70mm, Manfrotto 190XDB/804RC2
Canon Powershot SX100IS, Canon IXUS 65, Pentax Optio S4
MatthewRoberts

Postby Yi-P on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:49 am

MatthewRoberts wrote:I also occasionally get this error too! :(

I pull the card out and blow on the gold contacts or wipe with my shirt then pop the card back in. I sometimes have to repeat this until error disappears. This crazy weather may play some part of the issue :?:

Have you tried with another card? It can be a card specific write sector problem.
Yi-P

Postby MatthewRoberts on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Yi-P wrote:

Have you tried with another card? It can be a card specific write sector problem.

Yeah my standard 2GB SD's work fine. I only have this issue on my 8GB Sandisk UltraII.
“ If you cannot explain it simply, you dont understand it well enough ”
Albert Einstein

D90 / D700 / SB-900 / 50mm 1.4G / 18-200mm / 24-70mm, Manfrotto 190XDB/804RC2
Canon Powershot SX100IS, Canon IXUS 65, Pentax Optio S4
MatthewRoberts

Postby Yi-P on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

MatthewRoberts wrote:
Yi-P wrote:

Yeah my standard 2GB SD's work fine. I only have this issue on my 8GB Sandisk UltraII.

If your card still under warranty (I believe some are given lifetime warranty by manufacturer), maybe worth having your card exchanged for a new one.
Yi-P

Return to Nikon