18-200mm VR Lens seals

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

18-200mm VR Lens seals

Postby V-man on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi guys . while using my Nikkor 18-200mmVR two days ago the front element unscrewed itself and fell out. thank god it fell onto thick grass. well i quickly cleaned it and screwed it back on. My question is - straight under the front glass are 3 metal seal's , (like a thin washer) all are the same size but 2 are the same thickness and one is much thinner (fragile). Does anyone know what order they go back in? I went to my local camera house but they didn't know.
D200 etc
V-man

Re: 18-200mm VR Lens seals

Postby biggerry on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 pm

unscrewed itself and fell out.

OMG :shock:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby idleowen on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:54 am

Cant help you with your question but coincidently the front of my 18-200 fell off 3 weeks ago,not the element but the filter/lens cap housing.Looks to have 8 micro screws that connect to the front of the lens ,hidden underneath a seal.Wouldnt have helped that I dropped the lens 6mnths ago and have sometimes 'rested' the camera with lens hood in place(putting pressure on the hood),so lesson learnt.Not sure why 8 screws would loosen so much though................Anyway a visit to Nikon Service (Auburn) and 3 days later a quote for $75 to repair/service the lens,not a bad deal! Just need to wait 3-4wks for somebody to do the work.
Nigel
nikon stuff
idleowen

Postby darklightphotography on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I imagine the 3 shims are to provide correct spacing between elements, and that the order would not matter. Are you sure they were all inside the glass?
darklightphotography

Postby V-man on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:43 pm

darklightphotography wrote:I imagine the 3 shims are to provide correct spacing between elements, and that the order would not matter. Are you sure they were all inside the glass?

Yes they came out with the front element. Your probably right! All seems good now, i put them back in and everything back to normal. I learnt from it ,as i now check all my glass. :up:
D200 etc
V-man

Return to Nikon