Dropped lens is out

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Dropped lens is out

Postby chrisk on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 pm

i dropped my 50/1.4. luckily it was on carpet. unluckily it bounced down the staircase, (13 steps), and then hit a wall. the good news is it works, there isnt even a scuff mark on it actually. the bad news is thats its now way off mark. i changed the micro adjust to +20 and its almost there but still slightly out. i reckon if i had a +25 it'd be fine. lol

whats the process for this ? take it in and leave it there i assume ? does it go back to Nikon ? do they test it on site ? anyone had any experience with this ? and is this expected that a lens would be out of hack after a drop ? what exactly moves ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: Dropped lens is out

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Chris,

Your description suggests to me that anything and everything may have been knocked out of alignment.

Check with Peter at Poroday on Bondi Road. That's where NA wil most likely send it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:18 pm

gstark wrote:Check with Peter at Poroday on Bondi Road. That's where NA wil most likely send it.

can i drop it off there for warranty stuff directly or do i have to go thru nikon, (or thru ECS where i bought it) ?
chrisk

Postby shakey on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Poroday has moved to Chip and Dale....some sort of amalgm with Nikon Broadway. Sent a stuffed lens up for a quote...$300 which I think was quite reasonable...but more than I was prepared to pay for this particular lens..asked for it to be sent back and asked how much the return postage would be...they said $10.00, which I duly paid by CC. When they sent it back it was packed MUCH better than I'd sent it to them, and the postage sticker said $10.45.

Hope I haven't sent them broke... :P
shakey

Postby pippin88 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Err, you dropped it. That is not covered by warranty.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby chrisk on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 pm

it is unlikely i will be telling them that little detail.
chrisk

Postby shakey on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Rooz wrote:it is unlikely i will be telling them that little detail.

I think you should make the point very clearly that a deceased academic was holding your camera when the lens suddenly decided to malfunction.

A stat dec may help

Mate..... you are no different to Marcus Enfeld if you try to get this through on warranty.
shakey

Postby gstark on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:17 am

Rooz wrote:it is unlikely i will be telling them that little detail.

Chris,

The fact that the lens has been dropped will, most likely, be evident due to the nature of the damage sustained. Peter is a very experienced and capable repairer.

Do you have insurance coverage? That would be a more viable source for recovery of the cost of damage.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am

lol, thanks for the responses all some of them did give me a laugh...if only i were as angelic, blemish free and honest as others...something for me to aspire to i suppose. i'm a bad person lol

thanks gary for the info aswell, yes i do have insurance. perhaps i will go down that path. wouldnt want the weight of focum opinion on my conscience. now...what folder are those damn mp3's in... :surrender:
chrisk

Return to Nikon